back to article UK.gov data review calls for... data

The Data Sharing Review - announced by Gordon Brown after the loss of 25m records from the child benefit database - is calling for input into how government departments and businesses use and share private information about British people. The consultation is part of the review due to report in the first half of next year. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon G

Not more security, but appropriate security

I suspect that the problem is not tighter IT security, but appropriate IT security levels that still allow people to do their jobs. I'm sure that most people who work in large organisations have come across incidences where IT Security is actually too tight and restrictive - this then forces people to find "alternative" methods of carrying out their job (eg sharing user-id's and passwords because a colleague has higher level access to a system), rather than going down the formal route with all the bureaucracy and obstructive attitude's that seem to stem from IT Security Departments

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

here is an idea for you, Gordo

STOP LEAKING OUR DATA... see how good and simple it is....

now, get frecking on with it..

(oh reduce tax on petrol and diesel whilst you are at it - since that is what the people want)

3. Tawakalna
    Stop

more ideas for Gordo..

and get out of Afghanistan and Iraq too..

..and stop turning us into a police state..

..and stop giving Scotland all the cash!

4. Liz

@Tawakalna

When England stops getting all the pork, Scotland won't need / deserve / want the little rebate we get.

5. Slaine

legalise cannibals

... and disband ALL QUANGOs

... and give up on Olympic White Elephant 2012

... and stop turning us FURTHER into a police state

... and stop giving all the cash to England.

;-) Who'd be a politician eh?

6. Tawakalna

@Liz

Actually I think you lot up there should be independent, then you can cut yourselves off from corrupt fascist police-state England. Mrs Taw and I are heading there in a few years once we retire, unless Gordo and chums force us to remain wage-slaves for the rest of our lives.

how ungrateful, us wanting to give up "ten years of sustained economic growth" and all that.

nah, you Scots are way better off than us now, apart from the Paris Hilton coverage of course.

7. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

@Tawakalna

"nah, you Scots are way better off than us now, apart from the Paris Hilton coverage of course."

More money and no Paris Hilton?

Now that is what I call a win win situation.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Why bother?

I'd respond but they'll just do the same as with ID cards and ignore all the comments that disagree with government policy.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bailiffs and policemen

"It will consider how and why private information is shared and used, if the Data Protection Act offers sufficient protectio"

Indeed, can I ask a question, maybe there are experts here who know these things. I just watched a program on your BBC1, in it the policemen were checking car number plates, and along with them were bailiffs seizing cars for unpaid fines.

It appeared there was a flow of information on the registration details from the police to the bailiffs and police were using their stop powers on behalf of the bailiffs. The bailiffs mixed themselves in with the police and did not declare they were not police officers, but also information was transferred.

Now in most countries bailiffs are civil status people, they are not policemen and not entitled to take a look at private information like that, and they don't possess stop powers.

Is that not the case in the UK?

It looked like they were impersonating policemen with the consent of the police.

10. DS Ullman

Return to sender

I think putting a return address on everything you ship out would be a good start.

11. peter
    Happy

but they did not arrive

Wednesday, 12 December 2007, 19:31 GMT

Loan application forms go missing

Hundreds of forms containing personal and confidential information about members of the public were lost by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Internet Evil Doers

Too late:

All your (data) base are belong to us!

13. Bruce
    Coat

Obligatory response...

What do you mean you haven't got the report, I posted it last week... :)

14. John
    Coat

3 blank pages?

The government tells us to recycle. I count three blank pages in the PDF version of the report; this rises to five if you count the pages with a sentence or two on them. Surely its better not to waste paper in the first place, or am I using too much common sense? Surely it should be online negating the need to print it out in the first place.

I didnt read it as I thought data handling/requirements would be governed by common sense; a tailor would need to know your inside leg measurement, the local magistrate does not.

This topic is closed for new posts.