back to article News International mail server password FAIL exposed

A letter from News International chairman James Murdoch to the Commons Culture Select Committee has let slip details of how to gain full access to the company's MS Exchange email system – albeit the information is from four years ago. MPs published a raft of letters this lunchtime including one from jailed News of the World …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Scarlet
    Mushroom

Well

at least the password wasn't password

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE:Well

Or 1234567890

2. Neil Charles
      Joke

Surely

Passw0rd

They're not complete muppets you know.

2. Fehu
    FAIL

Left out disclaimer

"I can confirm that we did not find any evidence that proved that either [redacted], [redacted] or [redacted] knew that Clive Goodman, Glen Mulcaire or any other journalists at the News of the World were engaged in illegal activities prior to their arrest." in the extremely limited and obviously cherry picked sample of emails that you provided, making this exoneration completely worthless.

I'll take my check now.

1. Captain DaFt
      Coat

Is it just me?

Or were the first names to spring to mind after reading "I can confirm that we did not find any evidence that proved that either [redacted], [redacted] or [redacted] knew", were "Larry", "Moe", and "Curly"?

"Nyuck-yuck!" "Why you chowder head, I outta... BOINK"

(OK, I'm through, quit pushing!)

3. Oninoshiko

So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

1. Handle This

. . . and +1 for cultural reference

May the schwartz be with you!

4. vic 4

Deliberate?

Maybe they could claim any incriminating emails where planted/sent by some one who got by the poor security

5. JamieL
    Meh

Cunning double-bluff?

Of course, if it becomes apparent that their IT security was near-useless, then any actions which migh appear to have been done by one of their personnel on their systems might have been done by someone else?

Sort of like a witness reducing their own credibility such that they can no longer reliably self-incriminate.

6. b166er
    Facepalm

Which means

that it's more than likely their domain wasn't enforcing password complexity.

Uberfail

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Bollocks to password complexity

Interestingly, a recent "XKCD" cartoon online presents a persuasive argument that r0b3rt#@€ is not a good complex password, because you can't bloody remember it, whereas, ironically, "Bollocks to password complexity" -is- a good complex password.

If the work computer makes users use a different alphanumeric case-shifted password each month, expect (if you sniff the network) to see "Word1108" going by between now and September, but with a very rude word in place of "Word". I can testify it releases a lot of tension against stupid password policies, until the wording words in IT find another wording way to word it up for you. Stupid worders.

7. Jacqui

Lets get this right

a business that may have its email logs/archives required soon by the "only slightly bent" Met police gets "hacked" and magically the archives are now legally worthless as evidence.

I suppose some Sun readers will believe anything.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Now, if *you* were [redacted],

and you *knew* you hadn't known about something, would you feel the need to hire expensive lawyers to make sure you'd covered the tracks you hadn't left?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like