back to article Intel says no to massive ultrabook CPU price cut

Intel has apparently rejected demands from notebook makers that it slash the cost of its ultrabook chips. Manufacturers keen to release skinny laptops along the lines of Apple's MacBook Air range say Intel's products need to be cheaper if they're to comptete. The inevitable unnamed sources say vendors asked the CPU giant for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Mushroom

So, who's to blame for this?

Is it Intel's "greed"?

No

Is it lack of demand?

No

I guess this must be Apple's fault then.... not that the MacBook Air is exactly cheap!

2. Ru
    Facepalm

Ultrabook? Seriously?

That's an amazingly stupid and uninformative bit of marketing drivel. Ultralight? Ultrapowerful? Ultracheap?. The idiot who coined it should do the rest of us a favour by resigning at once and spending the rest of their lives in a remote monastery under a vow of silence reflecting on what they have done.

3. James Hughes 1

Arm vc Intel in ultra thingies...

Gotta be a good bet going with multicore Arm plus decent GPU acceleration (one SoC). Much lower power, less heat, good performance.

As long as you don't put Windows on it, anyway.

4. Sir Alien

To bad for intel...

Because then manufacturers won't make the so called UltraBooks or not in the quantities that intel wants.

Intel's mobile chips are way to expensive and I agree they should come down a notch. Maybe 50% is asking much but Intel outright saying NO is stupid.

5. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Why are they bothering with Intel?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

6. Armando 123

Uh, yeah

I'm sure the OEMs want cheaper chips. It won't happen, though, until the economy of scale kicks in.

Really, this article says it all. PC manufacturers know they can only compete with The Big Fruit by making things cheaper. Kwality ain't in it, innit?

7. Lance 3

AMD

AMD should try to fill the market segment and give Intel a run for its money.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like