back to article Chinese giant figures to muscle into UK mobe market

Not content with supplying network infrastructure and making handsets for other people, Huawei is aggressively pushing into the UK's handset market with Android handsets for all. The idea is to launch cheap Android handsets and get the name Huawei recognised by the man in the street, enough to make a success of the Android …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Meh

Who are we?

HTC products were quite interesting when they were still just a manufacturer and not a brand. I don't think the same is true of Huawei.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's my way or the Huawei

That is just brilliant!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

My way, thank ya

It is "My Way", thank you. There is no way in hell I am going to buy a Hui-Way handset.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Happy

re: My way, thank ya

Up here in Geordieland, It''l become the Hoy Away in nothing flat. Especially in the current climate of network providers pushing handset "upgrades" at their customers every five minutes.

Maybe they'll come out with a "cloud" based phone so that all your apps, data and processing power are stored remotely so any old cheap phone phone, will do, ie a disposable phone AKA a Hoy Away.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will these be able to be remotely controlled by the PLA as well?

I seem to recall some concern over the routing kit they supplied BT.

Belt and Braces and all that

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who are we?

HU AH WAY... I'll get my coat.

5. Eenymeeny

With a pun like that...

... who needs to read the article?

6. The Cube

I'd like to see Larry Evil sue these guys

Given the panic from Oracle and Apple to sue the crap out of Android in the US it will be interesting to see whether they have the cojones to take on Huawei in a Chinese court. The Chinese government has said many things about respecting intellectual property (especially that which is owned by Chinese companies and litigated over in East Texas) but strangely nothing seems to have changed in China...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

He does not need to.

He can win in a USA, UK or whatever other court he likes and after that force the payment of damages by getting an injunction on importation of all Hui-Way kit or by having networking kit impounded.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

no chance

Huawei is always going to sound like a budget brand sold by Tesco or Currys i.e Humax, Technika, Luxor etc etc.

HTC sounds better. More like JVC or LG. It sounds like it has more cachet but doesn't mean much.

1. rciafardone
      Coat

Yep...LG whole lot better than Golden Star.... :p

Nothing goes here.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Huawei the lads

.... clearly targetting the Geordie market

9. My Opinion
    Headmaster

Not quite right!

"All of this will be accompanied by suitable promotions explaining how to pronounce the name of the company (HU-AH-WAY) – a problem that HTC never had to face."

Not quite right - perhaps HTC could try to educate the ignoramuses who believe it is "Haitch Tea Cee" as opposed to the correct and altogether more pleasant "Aitch Tea Cee".

(Whilst I'm on this topic, perhaps the BBC could also train some of their announcers that it is "Bee Bee Cee One Aitch Dee" and not the quite frequently used "Bee Bee Cee One Haitch Dee".)

That's all...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

'Aitch' = Anachronism

I'm afraid you appear to be stuck in a time-warp. There is an interesting old article on this here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11642588

1. My Opinion
        Headmaster

Dear Anonymous Cowardly Coward

http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/topic/aitch-not-haitch

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Jesus Fucking Christ

Since when did the Grand Luvvie and his faithful followers count as arbiters of anything? Here's a snippet of their received wisdom:

"I remember as a youngster first hearing H pronounced as HAITCH, and it made me violently angry."

Violently angry? Of course, by the bottom of page two, they were talking about vagina, just like everyone else.

Times change (see title), and language changes too. Communication isn't a fucking physics exam, with a right answer. It isn't a competition either, and you don't get a medal for knowing the most.

2. garbo
      Trollface

'eard it a while ago, mate ...

"Haitch as in 'ancock, mush", said the Lad 'imself.

10. Stone-eye

Well they make lots of reasonably good 3G dongles...

But I guess most people still don't know the name. I guess its no real different to Toshiba etc, a funny name that will just take time and some good products to become well known.

11. Mondo the Magnificent
    Childcatcher

Who are they?

I've seen and used some of Huawei's mobile offerings. Cheap and cheerful sums them up. Sure they do the job, but they just don't stand out in any way.

The biggest Achilles Heel on the Huawei product set is battery life, the few handsets I was blessed with sucked, although these were mid range models.

What works for China doesn't mean the products will have appeal in EMEA. Huawei are having a torrid time trying to get the European market to buy their switches and [Huawei-Symantec] storage products due to lack of brand awareness and lack of confidence in technologies manufactured by a company owned by the Beijing regime

I wish them the very best in their endeavour, however as most smart phone buyers are quite brand aware, this may require more than just a phone with a pretty [inter]face

They are going to need a serious QC shakeup if they are to compete with the likes of HTC.

12. jai

my way or the Huawei

need a new keyboard, this one's covered in tea... bravo sir !!!

13. Alex Walsh

if the 3 mifi is anything to go by

then we could be in for some well made devices. I love my mifi, really well built imho.

1. Jon B
      Thumb Up

they sell them in NZ

They seel Huawei phones here in NZ and they're well respected. the budget u8150 is a good seller (albeit very slow) and the X5 is basically a Nexus N1 in most respects.

14. Captain Scarlet

Htc

I must admit I have a HTC phone but only because it was cheap and not an apple product, other than that the brand means nothing to me. Anyone else have the same views?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

something I find funny

things made in China with a Western badge on it - no problem.

things made in China with a Chinese badge on it - ooo hell they gonna screw us.

Sometimes I'm led to wonder if this is similar to the issue with things like Chocolate and Coffee, we've got no problems buying raw product from poor countries, but you try and refine the stuff and sell us a branded manufactured product you can meet my levies.

16. Ejit

stuff fashionistas...

...there is nothing wrong with my dual sim, cheapo Chinese knockoff Blackberry lookee-likee.

Works a treat without all the posing faff.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought the pronunciation was

hwahhwi (with a very short h at the front).

18. Z80

Scent of a Woman

Al Pacino can help with the first part of the pronunciation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yi14OVxkM#t=0m34s

19. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Huawei?

Huathey?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like