back to article Acer Aspire 5755G 15in Core i7 laptop

The Aspire 5755G is a fairly winsome system, combining sober, executive-class slate grey with a glossy black lid adding a touch of glamour. When it’s closed it’s a good looking slice of plastic, measuring just 35mm thick. Acer Aspire 5755G Acer's Aspire 5755G: widescreen but, alas, not quite full HD The 16:9, 15.6in screen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Brush
    Unhappy

Overheating?

My three month old Aspire which has pretty much the same spec but with an i5 CPU is a great bit of kit. However, 10 minutes of pushing the CPU hard results in a thermal shutdown.

It's well ventilated and free of dust, but it can't cope with a 100% load. The system options for fan management are laughable, and I've had to limit the CPU to 85% through power management to stop it happening.

Anyone else got the same issue or is mine a dud?

1. annodomini2

Re: Overheating?

I'd send it back and tell em to fix it, if it comes back with the same problem tell them you want your money back as it's not fit for purpose.

2. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Down

That screen format

This may seem a stupid question but is anyone making laptops that aren't i that useless widescreen format?

Given that most of what I do on screens is reading and writing text, having two horizontal miles of space is useless to me if I only have three vertical inches for the column of text I'm perusing. It's like reading a novel through a letterbox.

1. NogginTheNog
      Thumb Down

Ditto:

One of the annoyances I have with widescreen displays is that you can't quite get a full 1024x768 Remote Desktop console to a server :-(

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Widescreen does have it's uses beyond films.

Stick the taskbar on the left and it's completely out of the way for most normal tasks.

3. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

That screen format...

I suppose if they took an industrial saw to that machine and cut off the numeric keypad, they might get the aspect ratio you're after. Although I don't see the point really. So you've got a little unused space? Bit deal. Would you rather have a bunch of bezel instead.

At least you can use the extra space if you have a little imagination.

1. breakfast Silver badge
        Facepalm

Wasted horizontal space is not the problem...

I don't care about having too much width, that doesn't bother me at all. But having not enough height is another matter entirely. In order to get the vertical space that you would have on an old 15" monitor you need something like a 19" widescreen one. At that point it starts to get very impractical to carry around.

3. annodomini2
    WTF?

Title we don't need no stinking title

£900 for a 15.6" laptop with a 1366x768 screen and that's supposed to be good value?

You've been using Mac's for too long.

1. Martin

Indeed...

...if this is a machine better aimed at work - then what, exactly, is the average work user actually doing with all this power?

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

...ignoring specs again.

You might be solely fixated on the monitor. However, this machine seems to have enough muscle to do some serious number crunching and video. It may not be as nice as some 28" monitor, but then again it is a laptop and not a monstrous workstation.

When desktop monitors were that small, 1024x768 was about as much as made sense on them.

1. annodomini2
        FAIL

Re:...ignoring specs again.

There are a lot of high level components in that laptop, I'm not arguing that.

But the device you use most on a laptop is the screen.

This is a business laptop and the screen resolution determines your work area.

Bog standard 1366x768 just doesn't cut the mustard at this price point, if it was 1440x900 or 1920x1080 I may have been more accepting.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

It's big, heavy and has a powerful CPU and lots of RAM...

... but more RAM than you could probably put to use, a dog slow hard drive, gets toasty hot and no more screen resolution than an 11.6", crappy battery... bet it's cheap crap 802.11n as well (i.e. 2.4GHz 1:1).

A terribly balanced system IMHO.

Change it to 4GB 1333MHz, at least a 7200RPM hard drive (maybe a Seagate XT), increase screen to 1600x900 at least and up that battery and it maybe might be worth a good score.

1. Jon B
      Meh

not too impressed

I bought an i5 Acer 5750 in New Zealand for the equivalent of 550 quid last month, nearly the same spec in every way apart from the processor. It's a lovely laptop, quiet, and the battery lasts a good 4 hrs at normal usage.

But for an i7, the other spec needs to be bumped up for this sort of price. I realise 1366x768 is the new standard but an i7 laptop to should be higher. And second that it should have a 7200rpm hdd or the Momentus XT.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I've said it before...

Acer cobble together the cheapest crud they can lay their hands on.

Utter crap quality...

Steer clear......

6. James 47

@cornz1

My Aspire 5740G has been flawless reliability-wise since I got it.

For the rest, yes the Widescreen max resolution is shit. I don't know why they've taken this step backwards. Even my work laptop, maybe 3 years old Dell Latitude offers 1440x900.

Also, Acer's have this really loud, annoying beep every time you plug or unplug the power source. It doesn't happen when I boot Ubuntu though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Ok, fair comment...

But it wasnt that long ago (when i worked in IT) that i was getting 1 a day coming in for repair. Mainly battery circuitry issues but the quality of the soldering, the plastic etc was just abysmal..

If i was given one, i'd sell it on ASAP and buy something less powerful but better quality.

Even today, modern PC's et al are updated on a bi monthly basis....

7. Steve Evans
    Coat

WTF?

£900 for 1366 x 768?

Where's the Twaaaarp, *raspberry* icon?

Mines the one with the campaign for 4:3 laptop screen pin

And the 1400x1050 screened Thinkpad in the pocket

-They're huge pockets, okay?! :-p

8. PaddyPower
    FAIL

Interesting

I've been waiting for more quad core decent spec reviews from the Reg, as I would like to upgrade my old Macbook pro (Core 2 duo) to a faster spec. Mainly using bootcamp and 3d modeling/post production work. The Mac has been rock solid.. and much quicker since i put a seagate xt drive in.

But thanks to the comments on here, this sounds like another cheap crap alternative to the hugely expensive, but very well built mac option..

Looks like it's more wasted time staring at the Mac refurb store for me..

9. G Murphy
    WTF?

And yet another...

Another laptop with a numeric keypad which was "much appreciated" by the reviewer. Am I the only one that thinks this is fairly pointless? I use spreadsheets an awful lot but i rarely use the numeric pad because I'm not doing data entry and nor am I gaming. Do people like the off-center trackpad too?

It also comes with a 750GB hard drive, because that's exactly what I need in a laptop, not a fast low power drive, no I need big numbers....

I really struggle why manufacturers can't come up with viable alternatives to, say, the Air series, it's fairly light on all the 'extras' I don't need or want but you pay a premium to apple for not having them, surely this market is wide open?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like