back to article Microsoft loses grip on slippery Mango

The next version of Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system has arrived early for those willing to risk a slapdown by Redmond. A version of the code built by Microsoft and delivered to smartphone-makers this summer has apparently slipped free of the Redmond-OEM loop and was leaked online. The leaked code is build number …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Windows

Not *quite* the whole story there.

"After NoDo was made available, Microsoft took great pleasure in crowing "I told you so" in an official company blog post here. ®"

They also worked with the ChevronWP7 devs concerned in the aftermath to ensure that an "official" fix was available OTA so that those punters who had done it *would* be able to sort it out and get the full NoDo upgrade.

2. oopsie

mixed blessing

Are the operator's distinguishing features a plus or a minus on win phone? Not had a play with one yet.

1. Dave's Jubblies
      Thumb Up

they don't do much

Operator features are pretty restricted on wp7, colour schemes, inbuilt apps etc. Not seen much to really cause hassle like older phones

2. CommanderJameson

Operator? Dunno. Manufacturer? Maybe.

I've got an unlocked (as in never been locked) HTC Mozart. The HTC apps, with the exception of the somewhat pointless "Hub" (I suppose they had to get *that* clock into the mix somehow) are actually very useful - in particular the "photo enhancer", "attentive phone" and "HTC YouTube" applications.

3. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

OEM's are the least worry...

...Unless we place Nokia in the OEM category.

This is gonna pan out so fuc*king bad for Finland and Nokia, Elop/Wallop/Whatever should be strung up for High Treason. Can't see Elop at the President's Independence Day dance somehow.

Think I'll change my nickname to Sendo. Prophetic, I reckon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As many people already discovered

"....saying it was not sure what would happen to people's phones once the hack was used. "

As many people already discovered, you can't be sure what will happen if you install the official release....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Windows Phone 7...

Is that Android or Iphone?

1. tmTM

The other one

That one people tell you not to buy, you do anyway then regret it for the next 24 months.

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

(Bloody Greek keyboars)

Is that Android or Iphone

Well, there are theoretically two more. Symbian and Meego.

I DID say theoretically ..........Both dead as a nail on the lamp-room floor

6. Gordon 10

News?

Surely it would be news if a new rom didn't turn up on XDA before release?

Their contributors have been doing this for longer than I can remember. Used them quite often when I had Win Mob phones.

7. Dan Dan

The article is not 100% true

What the author doesn't know, or did no read on other blogs, is that this is the "Vanilla" version that is given to the OEM's. After that the OEM's have to add the drivers compatible with Mango for their phones. This is the reason why the compass (all gen 1 devices have a compass) won't work in this build. You will get that it has a compass but you won't get any events fired from the compass. So this seems to be the build 7720, but without the correct drivers you won't be able to make all the features work. If you want to try it don't forget to backup your device because you will need to go back to Nodo in order to have a 100% functional Mango release on your phone

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like