back to article Fantasy Premier League falls over

Not the best start to the season for Fantasy Premier League, the hugely popular, free game for grown ups, which crashed today. At time of writing fantasy.premierleague.com is reachable, but members can't sign in and make any changes to teams - apparently this is important because of the postponement of the Spurs-Everton game …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Smith
    FAIL

Happened last year too

Fairly sure this has a tough time every Premier League Saturday, didn't really surprise me that it happened again.

2. Sparkypatrick
    FAIL

Not just last minute

It was down from around 23:00 yesterday, that I saw.

3. JanH
    FAIL

Re: FantasyPremier League Falls Over

Actually it crashed before today. I, and several others, could not log on yesterday from about 6pm. Neither have I received replies to the emails I have sent them. I haven't experienced this problem in the past and I have been playing the game for many years. I agree that the changes are merely cosmetic and can't understand why they bothered. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jan

4. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Happy

Fantasy Premier League? O.K.

Top Ten (in no particular order)

Xena (a bit butch but...)

Gabrielle (1st team player)

Buffy (skinny but flexible)

River Tam (very skinny but VERY flexible)

Princess Leia (OK for the 1st season, but then lost her ball control)

Kaylee Frye (can fiddle with my engines any day)

Lieutenant Uhura (no more needs to be said)

Martha Jones (is it time for my prostate exam?)

Amy Pond (put the police uniform back on dear)

Dr. Allison Blake (Eureka! - especially episode S1E10 "Purple Haze")

Right, that's it - I'm off to bed.

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

Yes, I know...

this is about football, but Fantasy Premier League did make me wonder.

5. Wize
    Coat

Well...

...its only football. Nothing important.

6. James Howell

Even longer...

It has been down from early yesterday evening at best...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What have they done!?

Not only has it been down for the first time I remember, but when it came back up I was amazed to find that they no longer show live scores on the players and hovering over them tells you nothing. Talk about an enormous step in the wrong direction for the sake of drag-and-drop!http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_down_32.png

8. Brian Witham
    Coat

Getting ready for this season's banter....

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

1. DocWilson
      IT Angle

Typical Arsenal....

They always try and walk it in...

9. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Form over function... again

The design of the FPL website has always sucked balls. Not so much the visual "pretties" (that often tend not to look so pretty, but frequently fail to just load) but the entire engine behind it. The visual design has undergone a much needed refresh, although hard to tell how much its improved functionally so far.

It's just the staggering elementary mis-design of a database and the maintenance tasks behind it that require the entire thing to be offline so regularly is phenomenal. For hours after a days fixtures are complete the thing has often been unavailable... yes, there is a fair amount of data to process but why does this require that the entire database is unavailable? If certain features need to be locked out, for example transfers while re-calculating updated player values as the result of performances, then thats fair enough but why the entire thing?

And as others have already posted, its often unavailable near to the game week deadlines, often for hours before. This is down to what ought to be predicatable load, not database updates.

Of course, the thing is free therefore resources for it aren't going to be unlimited but on the other hand its damaging to the brand.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hmm

I'd never heard of it before and as a consequence, I don't really care.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I hadn't noticed either

Maybe it's just on strike?

11. stucs201

Meh football :(

But if you insist then this is much more entertaining : http://www.fantasyfwit.com/

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sucks

Live score display on players has been removed

League Table calculation has been removed at the end of each day

The outfits are take too much real estate

They basically removed important features and it's bugging the hell out of me

13. Wharf Rat

Switching to FSC

The Barclays EPL site and administration is terrible. I recommend checking out FSC fantasy for the EPL. Barclays ruined my season and I am leaving after 7 years of play.

1. ahfakopsdfi
      WTF?

FSC ??

Forest Stewardship Council?

Fire Service College?

Forest School Camps?

Financial Sector Continuity?

something else not on the first page of search results?

14. Charles Calthrop

I set up an el reg league

Code to join this league: 1707729-392894

15. oatyboy
    FAIL

Down again

So who did they get to code the new software & how's it different?

I see obviously prettier graphics, which no longer fit on my laptop screen, the latest points aren't updated while play's happening, the leagues aren't updated and it's very unstable - I just got a 500 Internal Server error from nginx which is impressive.

Looks a bit like amateur hour...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well NOW...

It seems they are giving us all unlimited transfers this week to make up for it. No mention of anything on the site itself, but everyone in my league has free unlimited transfers. Which we're using! :)

Paris, because picking 15 men to play at once never seems a problem for her...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like