back to article Stars Wars icons join Queen Elizabeth on Pacific Island coin

In this time of economic upheaval and fiscal brinksmanship, it heartening to hear of one government that's approaching budget enhancement with fresh, creative thinking. Princess Leia coin The most captivating croissants in the Alliance That'd be the Polynesian paradise of Niue Island, which is padding its coffers by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. peyton?
    Facepalm

Ahh cut Ewan some slack

I mean, it's not as if Lucas could've found another Alec Guinness.

You keep talking like that and next thing you know Lucas will try to digital youthify (can that be a word too?) and insert Alec into the prequels!

1. rciafardone
      Pint

Actually...

He is probably thinking about it... And someone, somehow, in a not too far future will remake all six movies in all pure CGI 3D Glory... and all we be good.

2. Thomas 4
    Trollface

Have a pint on me

"....and that'd be the Alec Guinness Obi-Wan, of course, and not the pale Ewan McGregor attempt from George Lucas' *Heinous Embarassment Trilogy*....."

I don't know why but I feel a deep spiritual kinship with you Rik. With regards to the Emperor coin, is that the original style of the Emperor? I hope its not the freakish make up disaster from the 3rd film that was supplanted in the Empire Strikes Back DVD release.....

<-----picture supplied for reference purposes.

3. Zygote

That's all well and good, but...

... will they be legal tender on Yavin's fourth moon?

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Heads or ....

Might be a bit of problem at the Niue FA cup

5. Herby

This just in...

Greece now issuing coins with "classic" portraits of Plato, Aristotle, and Alexander the great. Silver optional. Price: multi euro's. Greek currency crisis solved, and retirement age back to 50 years.

Oh, by the way, you need to volunteer for service in "the 300" to get benefits....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Deja Vu

I'm sure I've already read about this recently already. Lets see where was it. Some site called The Register I think.

7. Chris Miller
    IT Angle

Money-making schemes

Niue's government also makes money from the sale of their .nu web addresses to francophone p0rn sites. 'Nu' is naked in French (although, strictly speaking, it implies a naked male).

8. Mr Spoon

@payton?

It's youthisised. Futurama told me so.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/futurama-episode-507-teenage-mutant-leelas-hurdles

at 3:13

;)

(I'm sure that site is entirely legit...)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Niue Island

Wouldn't have previously been named Brainainia, would it?

Mines the one with the plans to take over the world in the pocket.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Dictators on the money...

1 question - The Emperor/Queen combo. How do you tell which side is which?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

$160 worth of silver for $390.44, what a deal.

A set of four 1 oz coins for $390.44. Thar's profit in them thar coins!

1. The Indomitable Gall

Worse...!

$8 worth of legal tender for $390.44

12. Eddie Edwards
    Facepalm

OMFG

I was just about to chastize El Reg for posting obviously-fake photoshop pictures of these coins, and then I clicked the links, and apparently they really do look like that.

I'll have a thousand.

This topic is closed for new posts.