back to article Counter-Strike sequel aims for 2012 target

FPS fans will no doubt be shooting off in excitement today after news broke that Valve is readying a new Counter-Strike game. Speculation has been rife across t'interweb boards, after witnesses came forth claiming to have spent the day at the Valve HQ, having cast their eyes on the developer's next title - Counter Strike: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Trollface

Counterstrike, eh?

There's a blast from the past. Whatever next? A sequel to Half Life?

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

"Counter-Strike is back baby"?

It never went away. Seems that so many games only hold the attention for a few months at best, then you end up back on Steam and looking for CS servers. Can't wait for the new version!

3. Kane
    Facepalm

How about...

...HL2 Episode 3.

Or even better, HL3?

C'mon Valve, pull yer finger aht!

4. KjetilS

Awesome

... but where is Episode 3? :)

5. Bunker_Monkey
    FAIL

Been a beta on steam for ages...

No doubt it'll follow the path of TF2 and micro payments for gun upgrades, less recoil, etc ... But I expect it wont make it any more fun.. Just pay to cheat on everyone else...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Meh

SOCOM has already taken away my interest in CS....

7. Lottie

Squeeee!

I can't remember playing a better multi player game. UT was okay, but the tactics and everything else just made the original CS so much fun!

Hmm, I wonder if I can use this news to justify upgrades to my PC in anticip-------ation?

8. Richard Jukes

erm

Free Ammo? It will ruin the game!

9. Limbo
    Thumb Up

speaking of CS and UT

Anyone remember the old Counter-strike clones? Much preferred playing Tactical Ops (one of the UT mods) back in the day, had better hitboxes too if I remember

Hopefully this new CS will actually have people playing normal maps again, all I see on CSS nowadays is surf maps

1. Dele-Himself
      Black Helicopters

RE: speaking of CS and UT

YES!

Loved Tactical Ops, so much more than Counter-Strike

2. Chris Campbell

Yep!

Although my favourite was a mod for the original Unreal, called Infiltration. A great game and great community :)

10. Ryan 7

Hats

Hats

11. RichardB

Someone should really explain

to the premier IT online Rag the difference between Hardware and Software....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Well

Consoles = hardware dedicated to gaming - ergo a game is directly related to that hardware and the two should be kept together.

That is unless you're a PC gamer, in which case take your pick on where you want to put games.

But consider that if you remove games from Reg Hardware then the reviews of the games and the hardware they run on would be on different domains and web sites - eww.

You could move console reviews too to keep them with the games that run on them - but then the consoles are in the wrong place...

Perhaps El'Reg should ask Santa for regconsolesandgamestokeepthewhinershappy.com.

12. Visual Echo
    Holmes

AMD support this time?

Can you run the server on AMD CPUs with Linux this time? Why am I not excited?

13. Lazy Gun
    Mushroom

All well and good, but...

...what about the cheating?

Unless Valve do something about the cheating scum that have ruined CS/CSS, a new CS is frankly irrelevant.

14. Greg J Preece

About time

Counterstrike Source was tin-plated shit. Played it again recently to get tickets in the Steam sale, quickly remembered what a pile of shit it is. Uninstalled.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

awesome

Awesome game, played the zombie escape maps for 4 hours this evening reminding me that there are still a few fps's out there that aren't shit, with tubby characters using a zimmer frame to limp between shoulder high cover while getting headshot by a twelve year old.

Opinions - like arseholes, everyone has one and everyone else's stinks.

1. Greg J Preece

Opinions: Get your own

And stop reciting Yahtzee quotes. :-p

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dust

pls

1. Greg J Preece

de_dust2

The most overplayed map on the most overplayed game ever. I would rather stick needles into my eyes than play Dust.

The only thing I'll still play on CS:S is the GunGame/GGT mod on gg_ar_glass_fortress_2a. The main game is a so-so shooter with way too many one-shot-kill weapons and ridiculous hit detection. I've managed to headshot people while aiming at their feet...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Original CS?

Do people still play the original CS?

I played from the beta versions, with my voodoo 3d card! Still dip in every year or so. Great game.

17. Andy Farley

I'm waiting for you now Gordon.

In the /test/ chamber.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

CS:S Ok for about an hour

Having play tested this for a £ poker style format, cheating was pretty rife and took alot of effort to keep the cheating scumbag 8yr olds of it..

Same can be said for the new version and I for one, prefer the insurgency mod for a proper game.

Shame the dev's have buggered off!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

RE: Dust

Typical, is that the only map peeps now how to play? So predictable....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like