Badass ?

This is Britain. We say Naughty Donkey

1. Ru

Not so.

Dey're well good, innit?

2. Robert Fletcher
    Thumb Down

A bit sad...

I seem to remember (doubtless a quick google would confirm, but I can't be arsed) that the creator of Lego decreed that there should be no weaponry with Lego models. (Which was subsequently watered down to "no present century weaponry", so swords, lightsabres, etc in kits are OK....)

I'm not just saying this as a doogooder, I'm pointing it out because aged 10 or thereabouts I made a Lego crossbow that could fire a rail track about 20 yards, then stupidly checked the mechanism by looking down the "barrel" while forgetting it was loaded... cue trip to A&E, nearly lost sight in one eye, and have been bespectacled since.... I'm sure it's karma or something...

1. Miek

Actually...

... That would be a Darwin Award near-miss.

2. Aaron Em

No, just carelessness

First two things any responsible teacher of firearm usage tells every student who comes within his purview:

1. It is always loaded. Period. Even if you've just removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, and locked the bolt open, it's loaded.

2. Never aim it at anything you're not prepared to shoot. (Corollary: Never put anything in front of the muzzle you don't mind seeing shot.)

I've never used a crossbow, but from the sound of it those are still good rules to follow.

1. laird cummings
        Facepalm

You'll shoot your eye out!

Ralphie Parker lives!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: A bit sad...

<quote>I seem to remember (doubtless a quick google would confirm, but I can't be arsed) that the creator of Lego decreed that there should be no weaponry with Lego models.</quote>

I believe that this is the reason why there were originally no brown or green coloured bricks - they didn't want us building tanks or bombers. :)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Gordon861
    FAIL

Advertisment?

Much as the Lego Guns are of interest, surely an article on a tech site like El Reg that doesn't even bother going into any detail about how the tech works in getting these lego guns to work should be labelled as an ADVERTISEMENT?

This article was no more than a 'look at this' and 'buy this here' as opposed to an article, so much so that whoever wrote it didn't even have the bottle to stick their name to it it was so bad.

1. TakeTheSkyRoad
      Facepalm

Well, yes...

It's the reg selling it so of course it's an advertisement !

Would have liked to see more pictures of the 5 different guns though... just a pics of the cover isn't actually very good advertising in my opinion.

1. Elmer Phud

Vid?

You watched the vid?

Better than most movie trailers. Full-on Playmobil action!

1. TakeTheSkyRoad
          Unhappy

Re: Vid?

Work nazis won't allow flash, video streaming or downloads...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. J-Bizzle™
    Go

Brick Kits?

This is looks fantastic; I'm actually in love with this idea.

I'm ordering a copy very soon. But are there kits where we can buy the Lego technic we need? The lego from my youth got donated to the spawn of my cousins (not that I'd have enough, anyway)?

1. Aaron Em

Bricklink

You can buy any brick you can imagine there, and most of 'em are pretty cheap, too. Shipping can be a pain as it's a marketplace with sellers from all over, but if you need something rare and don't want to spend $60 on a whole set to get it, Bricklink is the way to go.

7. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Up

Wicked

I've seen similar creations on LiveLeak.com, but now that a prublication containing the dark secrets is available, I foresee kids and adults alike diving into the Lego box to create weapons of minor destruction

I also believe this could also prolong the life of most Lego collections too :¬)

8. tim 13
    FAIL

Was the last time you saw Lego when they were still making it out of wood?

"He also discusses how to "cross brace", a technique that allows you to build diagonally with Lego – something that was not possible with older bricks."

err what? Its been possible to 'cross-brace' Lego since the 60s

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

@tim 13

Maybe in the past the author's mummy wouldn't let him use the little bricks and he couldn't do it with Duplo?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Mushroom

@TeeCee

Sorry but its been a while. Refresh my memory. Duplo blocks are bigger right?

So if you *could* make a rubber band gun out of Duplo you could fire those industrial sized and strength rubber bands, right?

Now that would be a bad ass.

9. Mike Green
    WTF?

A guy called Fletcher almost blinds himself with a cross bow and no one notices?

That's got to be Darwinian Nominative determinism in action! Glad to hear you made it okay though with only a little impairment!

10. Tigra 07
    Childcatcher

Cool but awful!

Those poor lego people!

All they want is to water their plastic gardens in peace!

1. richard 7

And especially given

Those bricks scaled up would be like your or me being shot at with full sizable chunmks of building. Can only dream of the terror and devastation caused but somone firing a section of rail line at any speed, ouch!

1. Tigra 07
        Terminator

RE: Richard 7

We should make one of these that fires housebricks to put it into the right proportions.

We can stick them in border patrol and use them on the lego people when they rise up and invade!

Terminator because the future terminators will be made of lego...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ban this sick filth!

Might any of these weapons be useful in... a riot?

12. Pahhh
    Thumb Up

If it could fire rubber bullets.....

... I would have ordered it, made a few and sent them to the local plod.

Still, its pretty cool. I think my son has enough lego to pretty much make anything you can hold so I'm still tempted to get this.

Good on El'reg by the way for advertising this, i wouldnt have been aware of its existence otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.