back to article Motorola hints at Microsoft deal

Motorola is open to the idea of partnering with Microsoft to produce Windows Phone handsets, although only if the revised platform proves its longevity. Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha said that while the company remains focussed on Android for the time being, it is open for working with WinPho OS if the conditions are right …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuzz

sounds good to me

I had a Motorola Windows mpx200 years ago. I seem to remember it was great as long as you didn't let the battery run out.

2. SteveBalmer
    Stop

Translated...

Microsoft to Nokia/HTC/Samsung/ZTE and now Motorola...

"we know you think Windows Phone 7 OS sucks ass, but if you dirty your name and make a few, then we might go lighter on than Android patent lawsuit that's happening...."...

Usual bullyboy tactics from Microsoft. I'm guessing none of these manufactuers want to be making Windows Phone 7 that nobody wants, but they are being forced down that road my Microsoft, when they really want to be continuing to make kick-ass Android gear...

1. dogged
      Stop

Translated:

"I am the man who blamed Microsoft for a fire in a Sony warehouse during the riots. Ignore me".

2. Dave's Jubblies
      Trollface

Oh Mr balmer...

You make me laugh...!

3. Conrad Longmore
    Happy

"getting a similar deal to Nokia would help"

..you mean Microsoft paying Motorola a great big pile of cash? I daresay it would..

4. Jess

Do they think ...

... their share value is too high?

5. Simon B
    Pint

Nokia 0 Motorola 1.

Nokia ditched Symbian for WinOS, prats. Good to see Motorola got more sense and are ADDING WinOS phones alongside Android. Not a fan of WinOS, too early for it yet, so Nokia ditching Symbian for it has put me off Nokia's now, shame as the N8 is a good phone even if the OS is a bit clunky. Good move Motorola.

6. Armando 123

I wonder

How much of this is due to Google's lack of backing for the Android lawsuits? Apple and MS, whatever their faults (and they both have them) have at least given their business partners SOME backup in such cases. If I were in Mr Jha's place WinMo7 would look better from a risk standpoint, if nowhere else.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well at least

Moto + Nokia's presence together using WinOS would likely provide a more attractive proposition for app developers, in terms of potential end-user numbers.

A Moto cellphone made the first ever mobile call in '73, not unlike like Nokia they were early pioneers and risktakers and I think deserve to do good business in future.

And what was said on the first mobile call? "Guess where I'm calling from!" From the Moto inventor to a rival at Bell Labs...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WP7

I am fond of what Microsoft cooked up as WP7 - the UI is refreshing, fast, fluid, clean, well designed.

Android and iOS look similar (grid of icons) but function quite differently (access to filesystem, multitasking etc). Now WP7 looks very different, but behaves similarly to iOS (no access to filesystem, one interface/no customization, no multitasking, single source of software etc).

Whatever the background politics are, it's good to have variety and choice.

1. N13L5
      FAIL

you're forgetting a couple of things:

People who want to be in a walled garden are already buying the more shiny Apple stuff, and those avoiding Apple's walled garden lock down sure won't want to be in Microsoft's walled ghetto.

A lot of people with windows mobile experience, aren't too eager to go with microsoft either, remembering how M$ won't spend a penny to fix issues if they think they got the market sewn up.

Aside from that, M$ interface is certainly original, but impossible to customize to user's tastes, its either M$ way or the highway. So far, everybody is preferring the Highway...

Here's hoping for Intel to pull the coals out of the fire for Users who'd like to be free from proprietary OS's with padlocks and bars in the windows everywhere, giving you that corporate prison feel on hardware you paid for and should own.

9. Mark Jan

Remember When Motorola Shat on Psion?

Psion, the company which developed EPOC, which subsequently morphed into Symbian was shat on from a great height in 2001 by Motorola, when Moto pulled the plug on their joint venture.

Had that defecation not happened, Psion would be a very different company today, as would Motorola and I suspect, Nokia as well. And none would now be selling their souls to MS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like