back to article Chinese government under cyber siege

The Chinese government claims it came under almost 500,000 cyberattacks last year, most of which it said originated outside the country. Most of the attacks involved Trojan horse malware, according to a report by the National Computer Network Emergency Response Coordination Center of China. A report by the cyber-monitoring …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Conrad Longmore
    Facepalm

Hmmm...

Pot. Kettle. Black. Make a well-known phrase with those words.

2. Graham Marsden
    Trollface

Here is the world's smallest violin...

... playing "My Heart Bleeds for You"...!

3. Armando 123
    Black Helicopters

I blame the Danes

They found out that their original plan, domination through hard-cornered plastic that you step on in the middle of the night, to be limited; they're allegedly smart enough to do this; and Dane was once a synonym for Viking. Plus, they have the perfect cover. Someone get Sandi Toksvig in for questioning.

1. David Dawson
      Terminator

I've been to Denmark

A year or two ago, we drove around most of the central and south of the country.

They appear to have covered the majority of it in giant propellers.

I suspect they are attempting lift off, maybe with a view to moving to more southerly climes.

Although when combined with your new information, maybe its part of the grand master plan of Danish domination?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Joke

Re: I've been to Denmark

"I suspect they are attempting lift off..."

Don't be daft, they're just doing their bit to combat Global Warming.

When they have enough in place they're going to push the Earth further away from the Sun......

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

May the SMARTest Players Who Dare Win Win

"Although China routinely gets blamed for cyber-espionage attacks, it's a safe bet to assume that just about every capable intelligence agency is playing this game. Seen in that context, the Chinese report represents a counter offensive in an ongoing propaganda war.

An added consideration in the field of cybercrime is the problem of attribution. When a country is physically attacked by another country it's generally quite straightforward to point the finger of blame towards the offending party. However cyberattacks can easily be launched from compromised machines in third-party countries, making it very difficult to know with any certainty who is behind an attack. "

Welcome to New Worlds of Order for CHAOS in Great Intelligence Games .... with Novel GIGs that overwrite earlier parables and leading tales in old and ancient tomes plagiarised from scriptures and dead see scrolls for abuse and entertainment and amusement of the living?

That is why there is such a mad scramble for control of the cyberspace place.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

500,000, for a nation of 3B, that's a really small number

Were those sites only sending malware to China or is that number bullshit?

Maybe they should they should run Snort on their international links.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Big Brother

So that would be...

...10% of the attacks that originate in China itself then.

As my Dad would say. "There, there... There, there..." with a little light back patting.

7. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Kudos to John Leyden

for a reasoned article on the world of cyber attacks ! His two main points - 1) that we must assume that all state (and, indeed, a plethora of corporate) intelligence services are doing it and 2) that «cyberattacks can easily be launched from compromised machines in third-party countries» - are well taken. With regard to the second point, note that, according to Stat Counter Global Stats (http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-CN-daily-20080701-20110812) the proportion of machines using a web browser so easily hacked as IE6 has only fallen under 40 % of the total in China during the last few weeks.Gefundenes Fressen for any foreign state or corporate intelligence service who want to ensure their actions are blamed on the Chinese, who we all love to believe are responsible for all the evil in this world....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like