back to article Glaswegian arrested for pro-riot Facebook posts

A Scottish teenager has been arrested for alleged incitement after posting pro-disorder statements on Facebook. Glasgow has been mostly untouched by the disturbances despite the dangerous incitement of 16-year-old Alexander McQuarrie from Cessnock. Strathclyde Police said the arrest sent a strong message "to anyone who is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I think we should arrange a peaceful protest against his arrest.

shouldn't be too hard to have a couple of hundred people show up at the station he is being held at. What could possibly go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Maybe a public lynching

Would be more in order for the thieving little scumbags.

Of course this is only a comment and in no way am I inciting anybody to do anything illegal at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

so let me get this straight

wee pillock advocates rioting from his bedroom by posting "lol lets aw goan a riot likes" nonsense on Facebook - he's arrested, Strathclyde Cops' PR team names him so they can act butch and you think he deserves a lynching.

You're a grownup who advocates murder by posting nonsense on The Register and you deserve...?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

thieving little scumbags

sort of suggests the people doing the thieving, looting and burning.

And yes as an adult I do think these little toe rags deserve a lynching.

Of course this is only a comment and in no way am I inciting anybody to do anything illegal.

1. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

Re: thieving little scumbags

"And yes as an adult I do think these little toe rags deserve a lynching."

Please explain how murdering someone for theft doesn't make you much worse than them.

This should be entertaining.

2. Bango Skank
            Paris Hilton

are you always this daft ...

... or are you putting on a special show just for our entertainment?

Lynching somebody for theft would be (1) murder, and (2) murder.

These isles did away with stuff like mob lynching over a thousand years ago, you know magna carta and all that.

Maybe you prefer those geographies where people are still stoned for adultery, whipped for giving the overlord lip, and have their heads cut off for insulting the local deity?

Paris, because seriously, are you that air-headed?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Paris Hilton

@Bango Skank

"where people are still stoned for adultery"

Sounds like bloody good fun to me.

2. dogged

Daily Mash

"Meanwhile, in Manchester, debate continues over whether the city had experienced serious social unrest or a Tuesday."

Yeah.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Sad but true

There's a reason why in many suburbs the standard shop front is made of metal. And now the scuffers have discovered that the city centre is "open for business".

3. Rab Sssss
    Happy

living in glasgow

It should be a group of people turning up to thank the police for arrestting the wee shitmonkey...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also a Dundonian

A man from Dundee also got nicked for similar foolishness. Like there's anything to loot in Dundee.

1. pcsupport
      Devil

That's what you think

Their heroin and needles for starters.

1. DF118

Re: that's what you think

So you're a Dundonian junkie are you?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's hardly a drug capital.

In fact it's hardly a capital of anything. Still, the view across the Tay from way up close to the town center is nice. It's like they built it there for the view.

I guess the thing to loot would be the university, which is an awesome place, as well as having ... is it seven bars now? Plenty, anyway. Aside from that, most of the expensive stuff is located out of town in retail parks.

1. DF118
          Thumb Down

@Mycho

"the expensive stuff is located out of town in retail parks."

Apart from not really being true, that could be applied to literally any medium size city in the UK.

"the thing to loot would be the university, which is an awesome place"

Yet another person who has visited Dundee uni and therefore knows all about Dundee.

5. Sarah Davis
    Coat

yay, problem over then !

glad they caught the bugger who started it all, the Mr BIG, i'm sure his arrest will silence his minions, now the country can have some peace

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      FAIL

Hint to down votetards

It's sarcasm

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

It's only illegal if you get caught...

..and you only get caught if the coppers show up.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      FAIL

It was a joke Joyce!

Crikey.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

what's the betting....

...that this guy doesn't get hit as hard as the obvious prank 'airport bomb' message poster last year (or whenever it was).

1. DrXym

He'll probably get a caution

The little tit will probably get a slap on the wrist and then sent back to mummy.

8. Tom Wood

Not just in Glasgow

According to West Yorkshire Police: http://twitter.com/#!/PoliceEastLeeds/status/101108399491661825

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the 1st Amendment?

I thought this old colony of the United States would keep honoring the 1st Amendment, in particular Free Speech.

I say, free Alexander McQuarrie! Like, right now.

And let everyone express their views freely on Facebook, Twitter and everywhere else. Even if this means allowing pro-riot posts. Hell, was there any arrest for an anti-abortion post or racist post?

1. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Must not feed the trolls

You are an obvious troll, and undoubtedly a bit of a cock too.

So I'll merely point out that the first amendment does not allow the right to free speech "involv(ing) danger to the public peace and to the security of the state". See Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925)

2. Wize

There is a big difference between...

...voicing your opinion in a protest and inciting a riot.

I would love to see the worldly goods of the rioters being trashed by other rioters when they are out... erm... rioting. Bet they start claiming the riot is bad after that.

1. Yet Another Commentard
        Trollface

Obvious troll is obvious

But I'll bite.

Not being the US renders the First Amendment utterly irrelevant. If you are interested Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights covers this, saying

“Everyone has the right to freedom of expression” but then “The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.”

Whilst I am in full rant about it - why do all the txt mssgs I see reported about these riots refer to the Police as “The Feds”?

What I really wanted to say was – we are not the US. We have no first amendment. We have no formal constitution. Our bail system is different. Our policing system is different. Our caution is different. Our prosecution system is different. Just because people say things in films that may be correct about the US it does not necessarily follow it will be correct about us.

1. David Neil

Following the above

The Scottish legal system is different again, wait till you see the fact we have 3 possible verdicts in a criminal trial.

3. Richard 120
      Trollface

Congratulations

Possibly the most obvious troll I've seen in recent times.

4. Colin Millar
      Thumb Down

Moronic drivel

1st amendment never protected incitment and neither did any western freedom of speech provisions.

You and all the other anonymous cowards are not part of the solution - you are the problem - you want all of your rights but none of the responsibilities.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is the UK

There is no right to free speech

Also

Incitement to a crime is a crime. in some cases it is worse thanteh crime punishemnt wise.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

what about responsibility ?

not having read the FB page in question, I can't comment on specifics. But I will agree with the US judge who pointed out that the 1st amendment does not confer upon a person the right to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

1. Armando 123

And yet

... you can shout "Theatre!" in a crowded fire. Life is so unfair ...

10. PSX
    Pirate

General Cheeseburger

Al la the late great Kenny Everett. alias General Cheeseburger,

"Let’s round them all up, put them in a field, and then bomb the bastards."

11. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

If what this kid did was incitement, then surely picking on a teenager in front of a crowd the day after rioting could also be classed as incitement?

If this had all been a legitimate protest then the actions of the Police would be commended. As it is I know a lot of people who think they should have been putting the fear of $deity into these little scumbags who think it's funny to burn people in their homes.

12. That Steve Guy
    Black Helicopters

Incitement to riot

that offence existed before the Internet, he should not have been such a tool.

Honestly what's with the kids today...

black helicopters because, well they are coming for you and you deserve what you get.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

little f**king prick

lets just smash his head in, and remove his mother from benefits!

14. GrumpyGit
    Alert

Just another Friday night in Weegieland

Organising a riot in Glasgow...on a Friday. Would anyone notice?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

just another...

hell, we have a whole season of rioting in glasgow, its called the Jan Sale and usually kicks off in womens clothes departments, anyone seen a "Next" sale will know what i mean :)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey, Mr Policeman

How about logging off Facebook and getting out on the street and protecting people and their property?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

riots solved, now how do I contact the Daily Express with this

the solution is actually obvious. copy the French! innit?

I've been in Paris/Lyon/Strasbourg for a few 'riots'/union protests/tourism and down every side street are hidden numerous vans stuffed with CRS (Compagnie républicaine de sécurité/republican security company) who are basically a horde of Rugby Teams with guns and big batons. At the slightest sign of a Facebook or Blackberry inspired emute they would hit and kick hell out of anyone near the initial incident, agitator or bystander alike. They are highly mobile and vicious. There are about 14000 of them to cover the whole of France although in summer they do also act as beach lifeguards!

17. Anonymous John

Plus

Two in Kent and another two in East Sussex.

18. Naughtyhorse

it could get worse

what if he claims he only did it for the lulz?

book thrown!

charge: 1st degree asshattery

19. Richard Rae
    Trollface

Simple solution...

Water gun, tear gas and rubber bullets.

If that fails, get their Grannies out and you will see them all run like hell!!! There is nothing more scary then a pissed off granny. Especially when they are broadcasting your family secrets. Guaranteed to destroy street cred!

20. Mark 78
    Facepalm

Has anyone seen what was posted?

There seem to be a lot of judgemental posts on here, but I can't find the actual tweet listed. Do we know whether it was serious or a joke? Or is it a call for vigilanteism now, and then a campaign to free him after it is suspected of being a joke in a months time?

1. DF118

Sigh

RTFA

21. Red Bren
    Holmes

Cause and Effect?

"London was mostly quiet last night, with several thousand extra police on the streets."

So keeping the police busy meant there were less people available for rioting and looting. Ergo the Met was behind the whole thing...

1. noboard
      Thumb Up

top draw thinking right there

my own theory is the looters are waiting for the shops to be re-stocked. Hardly worth looting an empty shop. Wonder if they'll put in a few pre-orders, just to make sure there's something worth nabbibng?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

but ...

ok so the kid was arrested for saying Bad Things (TM) but come on journos, what did he ACTUALLY say?!?!

1. DF118

According to the Metro

He started up a facebook group called "Glasgow Riot Friday 12th August 2011". After an initial visit from the bizzies, he posted "Police came to ma door there. How glad are you that they never charged me or anything they never said much and are not following it up, they have more 'serious issues' to deal with. A hope aw youse wankers that snitched DIE". He was later arrested. Lolzorz.

23. TheWebIsMyKnowledgeBase...
    Holmes

more news from the web...

According to guardian, he set up an event page called 'Glasgow Riot':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/glasgow-boy-arrested-facebook-riots

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably

Probably what he said was just the sort of banter he'd have with his mates - with no comeback because no-one else is listening. Probably he just forgot the cops were listening this time.

So good that he got caught if the intent was serious, but bad if we end up living in a society where we have to worry about who's listening all the time. Of course, if you use Facebook, you've pretty much opted in to such a society anyway, so no sympathy from me.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: what he actually said

He made a facebook page called:

"Let's start a riot in Glasgow"

which seems pretty clear that either (1) he is a dick (b) he wanted to start a riot or (iv) he is a facebook using dick who wanted to start a riot.

Police became aware of the page when members of the public alerted them - so this is not a fucking case of Plod sitting around social media eating deep fried doughnuts instead of

going out and catching rioters [who weren't actually rioting in Glasgy anyhow].

27. Andrew Jones 2
    Thumb Down

Double Standards.

If some guy had posted a group on Facebook organising a terrorist attack and it later turned out that the police knew about the group on Facebook but had done nothing about it - you would all be screaming that the police were useless and should of done something.

The group on Facebook at first glance seemed to be serious enough - certainly serious enough that I reported it. There were many many links to the group flying around on Twitter under the #riot hashtag. In the same vane there are many many people posting pictures to Facebook of themselves with all the stuff they have stolen - and even people trying to organise sales for stuff they have stolen.

It has got to the point where it is difficult to distinguish between those who are trying to be funny and those who are actually involved.

However - regardless of whether the group was serious or not - *some* people could have decided to organise something based on the initial idea of the group.

Additionally having just heard the poor shop owner "reeves" - in complete shock at his store being burned to the ground after 100 years of being there, and the dumbstruck woman who was watching the partyshop burn knowing that there were 3 flats above it - but completely helpless to do anything - it was in very poor taste for someone to suggest starting a riot elsewhere.

28. Guus Leeuw
    WTF?

Incitement

Sir,

surely an incitement is BBC showing people mobbing and looting with the police standing by idly...

No?

Oh...,

Guus

29. Dave Murray
    WTF?

Glasgow has been mostly untouched by the disturbances?

Mostly untouched?

Try nothing has happened here apart from us laughing at the burning English.

30. John Dougald McCallum
    Facepalm

Glasgow

I was in Glasgow last Saturday and you could hardly move down the main shopping streets. From the statue of Donald Dewar looking down the hill it seemed that the people were one solid mass,so a riot would only happen if it was a walking one,because I think if you started running you'd soon be coming to a grinding halt.

31. Big Bear
    Angel

No need to worry about Glasgow

Why? They have the ultimate deterrent himself. I mean, of course....

JOHN SMEATON

He'll set upon you. Glasgow does not stand for this.

32. Tony Paulazzo
    Big Brother

Title

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like