back to article Spec set for 3D specs tech

A handful of leading 3D TV manufacturers have today announced their intent to work together on standardising active 3D glasses technology. Panasonic Corp, Samsung Electronics, Sony Corp and X6D Limited (Xpand 3D) have all agreed to collaborate on the development and licensing of RF system 3D active glasses tech. In other words …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about non-IR tech

Like this year's Samsung sets?

2. Annihilator
    Meh

Reminds me

An XKCD springs to mind..

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

1. Greg J Preece

I hereby declare Rule 66 of the Internet

For every situation, an XKCD.

3. DragonKin37
    Thumb Down

What does my wallet think

Hmmm working together to standardize the the RF system. Will this make the glasses cheaper?

1. LuMan
      Thumb Up

RE: Wallet

One would hope so. If there's a standard then surely anyone can use it (either with/without a licence, I suppose). This means that all manner of cheapo manufacturers can manufacture and market the things as well as the more prestige companies.

Good going, I say!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

forget 3D specs

When are we going to see 3840x1080(effective res of 1920x1080) autostereoscopic 3D displays? It should be possible with the Retina Display technology!

5. Naughtyhorse

i was thnking dilbert...

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-08-02/

6. Tony.
    Boffin

Now In 3D!

Samsung dropped IR due to all the issues they had with Sunlight, lighting and IR remotes making it loose sync., Bluetooth does seem to work much better not seen any sync issues.

I'm guessing the new spec will also cover Bluetooth, it does say 'RF systems' as opposed to just IR , that's the only way I can see "will be backwards compatible with any 2011 3D active TVs" is possible, all samsung 2011 TVs are bluetooth already.

Of course the sceptic in me thinks the 'licensing' plan may be to try and stop (or cash in) on those 'clone' IR Glasses that seem to be popping up.

(Icon:3d glasses! )

7. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Have they solved the "I'm already wearing glasses" issue at all?

8. mobies

3d visiion

really hope Nvidia gets involved.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like