back to article Peaches Geldof explains Kubrick's 2001

Peaches Geldof is taking a bit of a shoeing down at Twitter for cracking one of the great conundrums of our time in 140 characters or less – just WTF Stanley Kubrick's 2001 is all about. Ms Geldof allegedly tweeted: "I reckon 2001 is about the evolution of man, and the idea of god being imbued in both man, machine and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e

She HAS read the book, right?

No? Oh. Fail then.

2. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Up

Doesn't seem that far off to me...

Didn't know Peaches was a Freemason though :-)

3. amanfromearth
    Facepalm

Yeah

Well with her genes, what do you expect?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

I came to a similar conclusion

when I started taking LSD

What will she discover when she sees The Wall?

1. Bob H
      Flame

Huh?

Watching 2001 and 2010 back to back... we don' need no stiiinkin' LSD...

2. Ben Naylor
      Coat

Maybe...

Sausages?

3. JPQ
      Meh

Re: I came to a similar conclusion

Her dad?

4. vdash

Duh

Her Dad of course

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_The_Wall_(film)

1. Andrew Moore

how about

'my daddy is Roger Waters???'

5. Archie The Albatross
    Happy

Oh good!

So now we know.......

6. DarkEnergy66
    Thumb Down

Don't forget Arthur

Sorry, but I can't see Stanley Kubrick, brilliant though he was, get all the credit for 2001. Arthur C Clarke played a huge role in the making of the movie, and was the author of the novel - so at least deserves a mention.

I'd even go as far as to say that he was even more of a visionary than Peaches Geldof.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Errrm...

I think (and I admit I haven't checked recently) that the film was based on a short story by ACC (called The Sentinel ?) and the novel was written after/during the film was made, from the screenplay. I'm sure he had a lot of input though. So I agree with your point.

There are a number of BIG differences between the film and the book too.

1. Graham Marsden
        Boffin

@Errrm...

The film started with Stanley Kubrick contacting Arthur C Clarke with an idea to make "the proverbial good science fiction movie".

Clarke was involved in the project (which was originally going to be called "Journey Beyond the Stars") right from the get-go and all the way through with the novel and film being written simultaneously with feedback in both directions.

Read "The Lost Worlds of 2001" by Clarke and "The Making of Kubrick's 2001" by Jerome Agel for all the details.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

made me click..

I was hoping this was a Playmobil re-enactment. :(

8. Munchausen By Taxi

To be fair...

...she had the 'evolution of Man' bit right, she just missed out Xenu and the Thetens.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

has her account been hacked?

see title.

10. Steven Jones

Not bad...

I've read less credible explanations. Unfortunately neither Kubrick or Clarke are around to confirm it. I'd also say that's a lot of interpretation to pack into 140 characters. If those are truly Peaches' own words, I'm impressed.

11. Arbuthnot Darjeeling
    Happy

I came to this story expecting

to get some laffs at her imbecilic explanation, but found it close enough to what I made of the film.

However, despite having been able to reach such an interpretation of this complex film some forty years ago I remain at a loss to understand why you have headed it under 'policing'.

Unless...

12. Efros
    Pint

Clarke

I believe Arthur himself (Clarke not Dent) had stated that he didn't get it fully, and he wrote the damn thing. Kubrick's thoughts (if he ever had any that weren't opaque) I don't think were ever recorded on the matter.

Pint as the first of 12 I'd need to watch it again, although I'd probably need 24 to watch Solaris.

1. Graham Marsden

@Efros

Clarke, in an interview after the film's release, joked that "If you understood 2001 the first time then we failed". Unfortunately the critics who he was mocking didn't get the film or the joke...

Kubrick also commented that Hollywood had been making films for 12 year old minds for so long that the critics had developed 12 year old minds!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: clarke..

You mean the 1972 version? You'll need pizza too..

13. TimNevins
    Facepalm

Shame about Kubrick

Just as he was exposing aspects of Freemasonary(Eyes Wide Shut) and its grip on the World he "passes away".

A mere 10 days after a private showing of the above film in an uncut original 4 hour presentation to studio heads.

Wonder was was left out of the released version.

All of Stanleys work is full of Freemasonry imagery.

www.theindustryexposed.com

The All seeing eye in a Pyramid in the Clockwork Orange poster should have been enough.

Look like the Register too has joined the Freemason ranks with the Facepalm icon.

14. Eddie Edwards
    Joke

The star child

The star child part is OBVIOUSLY a pastiche of the scene in Harry Potter 7: Part 2 when Harry "dies".

15. James Gosling

Buddhism

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Buddhism yet, many of the concepts envisaged in the film are clearly Buddhist in origin. But it is a very deep film on many levels.

1. Graham Marsden

@Buddhism

Some people commented on the "Christian" imagery in the film (eg rebirth and, at Jupiter the giant monolith and the Jovian moons apparently making the shape of a cross).

Clarke commented that this was somewhat fanciful since "Stanley is a Jew and I'm an atheist!"

16. Oliver 7

Idiots'R'Us

My wife will watch any old tripe so I found myself one night watching Fearne Cotton's interview with Peaches in New York. I was going to attempt some witticisms to describe Peaches' inanity but this article does it so much better whilst mercilessly putting the boot into Cotton in the process - two birds with one stone and all that. The only embarrassment I feel is linking to the Mirror Web site:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/columnists/kevin-osullivan/2009/11/01/anyone-who-hates-fearne-cotton-is-a-friend-of-mine-115875-21788581/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Who the hell is Peaches Geldof?

And why should anyone care? This smells like a classic tiny island parochial thing.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Who the hell is Peaches Geldof?

"This smells like a classic tiny island parochial thing."

Are you referring to Manhattan island?

2. Archie The Albatross
      Paris Hilton

Who the hell is Peaches Geldof? →

"And why should anyone care?" - That's rather the point.

As an aid to translation, think a slightly (very slightly) less vacuous Paris Hilton.

..........................Now get off my land!

3. Steven Jones

Irony

@AC

They clearly don't do irony where you come from.

1. Tubs
        Devil

Re: Irony

In a US dictionary, irony = sarcasm.

So no, they don't do irony.

Or were you being sarcastic?

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Peaches Geldof

Ingredients

4 cups peeled, sliced peaches

2 cups sugar, divided

1/2 cup water

8 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

1 1/2 cups milk

Ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped semen or vanilla ice cream

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Just leave it!

Listen love, it just is, OK? Just take it in and feel it wash over you because some things are simply there to be enjoyed and not analyzed to death. This is especially if true you lack the eloquence, wit and intellect to perform such a task.

19. JOKM
    Paris Hilton

Idiotologist

What exactly are you expecting from someone who believes in Tom Cruise.

20. John Savard

From Arthur C. Clarke...

Well, even if her tweet does sound a bit on the vapid side, I'd say it's essentially correct.

After all, Arthur C. Clarke himself commented about the movie that "MGM doesn't know it yet, but they are making the first 10 million dollar religious movie".

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Nuts

If I wanted the opinions of an unemployable, drug raddled, famous for being famous, intellectual pygmy, trainee hooker then I'd ask for them.

Paris H - because she has more brains / class.

1. kosh

and..

and I thought *I* was being hard on Lester.

22. Steven Roper
    Coat

And so we have

a name for El Reg's next space project after LOHAN:

Powered Exospheric Altitude Combined High-Exit Spacecraft...

23. mark 63 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

whats the policing angle?

is there a reason this is posted under "Policing?"

24. kosh

Actually

She has it pretty close to accurate and without sounding like an idiot pseud.

Perhaps Lester should stick to the Swedish masturbation stories - definitely more his level.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like