back to article Mass WordPress hijack poisons Google Image well

Hackers are abusing thousands of independent WordPress sites to litter Google Image search results with code that redirects users to servers that attempt to infect them with malware. According to a report posted Friday, Russian researcher Denis Sinegubko identified 4,358 WordPress blogs that combined popular images from other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bucky 2
    Meh

Already poisoned

I'd say the Google Image search was already poisoned.

No matter what I search for, I get at least one shirtless image of Taylor Lautner in the results.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Teleporting in more creeps, this place isn't crazy enough!

When did the whole Interweb transform into a real-life version of Black Mesa Research Facilities?

Madness.

I'm off to check out blog site.

3. adnim
    Unhappy

This is the

second time I have read an article intimating that Wordpress has been exploited to plant nastiness based upon the story head line.

Can you please be more accurate with those headlines and less sensationalist please. It's getting tiresome. Yes it's 5:25 am and I am tired and cranky because I have been working for 21 hours. Time for a few hours sleep before I start all over again.

4. heyrick Silver badge

This is partly Google's own fault

For insisting on loading a version of the site in the *background* of the preview, I wish that could be switched off. Thankfully NoScript is able to mitigate most of the nastiness, though sometimes the antivirus can fire over iframes and content held in the page Google requires as its "backdrop".

5. ElectricOwl
    Stop

So much for recent Wordpress security updates.

I can't help but think that the recent Wordpress 'hardening' work has successfully missed the point.

It doesn't matter if you have commenting turned off as it is still possible for the Black Hat SEOs to add comments to your blog. Add that to the sheer number of naive bloggers out there with little or no decent security it's no surprise that the Google Images campaign is doing so well.

I'm struggling with a bug in some of the worst written code I've ever seen and it is depressing me which is why I'm grouching about WP here instead of their site :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like