back to article HP Envy 17 3D Core i7 laptop

After years of computer journalists telling me – erroneously, I hasten to add – that my next desktop PC will be a laptop, it’s pleasing to see manufacturers such as HP trying to make it happen. HP Envy 17 3D Viewing spectacle: the Envy 17 3D is a big beast but HP has managed to keep it looking clean and stylish What do I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

2d version

FWIW I have the non-3D version of this machine, otherwise very similar specs, Envy is a good name - very nice machine, and it is rather fun watching Apple users getting green-eyed.

It does run HOT though when it is thinking hard - almost too hot to touch in the top-left hand corner.

1. Mondo the Magnificent
      Coat

Envy an HP

Uhm, I think not. After all, it's just another overweight 17 inch portable.

I've tried a few of these "foldable desktop" systems and they just don't impress beyond the 17 inch display

I agree that the asking price for an injected plastic case that by your own admission gets "almost too hot to touch" is taking the proverbial.

I guess it's nice for those who want a portable desktop, but until they produce dual Xeon QuadCore laptops, I'll just stick with my Vista workstation on the desk and my better looking, lighter, more secure and vastly superior battery life Core i7 15 inch unibody portable that doesn't have me looking like a middle aged Joe Ninety when using it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Apple users green eyed?

Methinks not. Only thing I see Apple users being envious of would be the price.

And no, I don't have an apple. Conservative, black and ancient IBM for me.

1. Dana W
        Thumb Down

No metaphorical green eyes here.

@Apple users green eyed?

Not a chance. I DO have one and the only thing I'm jealous of is the i7 processor.

Come on, look at this thing. A plastic case, absurd overheating, incredible weight, and a one trick pony gag like 3D glasses? Maybe if all I did was game this might be attractive.

But after a year and a half I'm still pulling near six hours of battery life, my machine is cool to the touch in all but the heaviest games, and weighing in at 2.04 kg makes my portable actually PORTABLE.

I side with another poster on this thread, If I wanted PC hardware I'd be more likely to buy a sensible Lenovo.

3. Jedit Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Similar specs?

Why would you need specs at all with the non-3D version?

(Paris, because she's used to objects springing out and almost poking her in the eye.)

2. annodomini2
    FAIL

Cough

Gen 1 i7 and £1150...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Meh

It's still not that attractive, IMO. Textured plastic? blergh. 3kg? ooof. 3D? Bells and whistles, and irrelevant to hardened gamers, for which a dedicated PC with monster video card is used.

One immediate way to improve this laptop though - and all other HP's I've seen - is to take a upgrade DVD for Win7, wipe the hard drive, and install a vanilla copy using the laptops codes. Quicker and cleaner than removing all the HP bloatware one bit at a time.

1. Rebajas
      Linux

It's not plastic...

It's not plastic...

4. Vince
    FAIL

Didn't make me envious, so I sent it back...

Ah yes the laptop that promises so much, but in fact is ****. Totally ****.

Battery life is rotten, 45 minutes. What the hell is the point of that. Try playing BBC iPlayer HD content on battery, it gets worse and worse until break up - does it with a clean install, a factory install or an alternative install. Even playing unreal tournament it wasn't happy. It has horrid Disk I/O performance (half the speed AT BEST) of my last laptop (and measured as such, not just perception).

It's the first time HP have left me down, and I sent it back for a full refund. A complete joke of a laptop.

It also gets ridiculously hot doing normal tasks (and no other laptop of similar spec gets as warm) - the whole thing feels like design went over reliability and function with this, which is probably why it sucks. Run run away...

1. Rebajas
      Linux

Noise...

What he said, plus mine screams - not fan noise but white noise.

As for disk performance, I stuck an SSD in mine, so it's actually been incredibly fast at I/O

5. Richard Gadsden 1

1080 pixels vertically. Still?

I had a 1600x1200 laptop at least five years ago. I've had 1920x1200 as well.

Can someone please make a laptop with a decent vertical resolution, and not just another 1080.

Please?

6. antiRev
    Flame

Laptop in name only

I've the non-3D version too, and I'd never attempt to use it as a laptop. Battery life is rubbish and it gets stupidly hot (HWMonitor recorded 96C), especially when playing games. As replacement desktop that I can carry around its great, and it was a good compromise over a Apple or Sony.

7. Shane8
    Trollface

62 mins of battery life....

£1150 lol. nuff said.

8. Steve McIntyre
    WTF?

Ugly

Big, heavy machine. Use it as a "laptop" and you'll burn yourself or cut off circulation. Go buy a desktop if you want something this big...

1. Cameron Colley

re: Ugly

Since when did a computer's usefulness or performance depend upon its looks?

And why would I want to lug a desktop from the lounge to the bedroom when I want to watch a DVD in bed, for example?

This may or may not be a good laptop, but its size and "ugliness" are irrelevant.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why?

Click on 'Buy Now' from the link in El Reg's review takes you to

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF10a/321957-321957-3329744-3995710-3995710-4149943.html?jumpid=in_r2515_uk/en/hho/ipg/psc404redir-ot-xx-xx-/chev/

HP's website says it is discontinued.

1. D Lobb
      Stop

Because it's the old model...

The newer models have the i7-2630qm or i7-2820qm CPUs and the ATI 6850M graphics card.

Available at http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do;HHOJSID=f5C6TB2RLvrhZzCwkLLZY6cLyVp6Yx1kdRy2MYpLwNvt7JZ2qhKq!1050500915?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=ENVY&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY

11. RobE
    WTF?

so who is, also, not jealous

Looks like a brick - no style or penache. 3D is no excuse not to bother making it look slick. Idea is good, execution is atrocious.. those specs look like something a high school geek would have been bullied for... and who wants to get bullied?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

1D too many for me..

I have the 2D version and I honestly love it. Selected it for my work over a Macbook Pro and never regretted it. On the 3D, I tried it in a store and immediately got vertigo. Maybe I'm just such an old fart that the extra D is too much.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like