back to article HP industrial action starts today

Unionised HP staff working on the Department for Work and Pensions Adam 2 contract are today starting industrial action over proposals to offshore their jobs to India amid government pressure on IT suppliers to cut costs. Support staff from India set to take over some of the functions next year are due to arrive in Blighty as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good Luck

Stick to your guns!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RTI/Universal credit

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the (already ambitious) timeline for the 2 projects above if this sort of thing spreads...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offshoring costs more than you think

Managing all the risks involved in handing over large amounts of information to Ranjit ("Call me Dave") in Bangalore, who would be very happy to pass copies over to someone who'll pay triple his monthly wages for 5 minutes work with an USB stick is a lot tricker than most people, even in Government departments, think. There are rules that departments are supposed to follow, and make the companies who they do business with do the same, but they're hardly ever taken into account when totting up the costs, That comes as a nasty surprize when the auditors point it out later.

4. tempemeaty
    Alert

Irresponsible security risks

The big corporations are gambling with millions of peoples personal data. I worked tech support in the US for a large corp that was in India. They had a massive security breach by that Indian contractor and moved to the US support teams then broke the US contract and went back to India again risking a repeat. The big corporation execs are irresponsible to their shareholders and their customers with this kind or behavior. Best of wishes to all the HP employees and best of luck with the security of the personal data of those millions.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Trust

Government departments depend on people being honest, safe in the knowledge that security is paramount and staff are honour bound not to talk about individuals (I am ex-Inland Revenue and don't talk about individuals even 15 years after leaving).

How honest will people being in their tax and other returns when they feel that the trust is no longer there?

This could backfire badly and hit receipts.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Work to rule and show no goodwill?

That should be an improvement over their normal practices.

(I did my tour in Lytham St Annes)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like