back to article PlayStation phone prices plunge

Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play has followed in Nintendo's 3DS footprints, experiencing a dramatic drop in price with some online retailers lowering it by almost 50 per cent. Expansys leads the way, bringing the PlayStation phone down in price from the standard £500 to £289. Other sites such as Play offer it for £299. Top prices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul_Murphy

Penny Arcade...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/8/1/

Though of course it's not all Apples fault, on android phones a lot of games are free.

ttfn

2. Jedit Silver badge

Price drop?

I suspect it has less to do with the 3DS price cut and more to do with the fact that the phone is apparently a bit of a dog to play games on.

3. Sampler
    Coat

Will they be giving away..

..a bunch of free games to those who paid full price? No - didn't think so..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

One hell of a phone for 300 notes.

It's a shame the high street is not offering these deals, as they will be snapped up like hot cakes surely...

5. defiler

Ironic really

Ironic that the Nintendo should force a price drop, when the single USP for me was being able to play Nintendo GBA games with a pad... Ho-hum. Advance Wars, anyone?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Short version

Nobody is buying = huge stock backlog = desperate slashing of prices.

Simples.

Can I get an editor job El Reg?

7. Frank Drebin

Bloody hell!

Doesn't that make it the cheapest high-end handset by a country fucking mile? That's incredible. I'd almost consider trading out my newly-Gingerbreaded & thus slightly borked Desire HD for that, as the hardware gaming keys are an emulator enthusiast's wet dream. Excuse me, need tissues...

8. juice
    WTF?

Have you checked the date?

The 3Ds price cut isn't due to take effect until August 12th... so it's not altogether surprising that sales have dropped!

(interestingly, second-hand sales in Japan have doubled, suggesting that people are trying to get one cheap so that they can get access to the free games Nintendo has promised to early adopters...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like