back to article Yahoo! Mail! users! complain! of! server! flatline!

Many Yahoo! Mail users have been shunted off the service in the past few hours. Complaints are piling up on Twitter and The Register has also heard from several disgruntled users of Yahoo! Mail. A call into the company's London office proved fruitless this afternoon. We've left a message and will update this story if anyone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Was working, is now working again.

My Yahoo mail was fine all morning, had a little lay down mid afternoon but is now working again fine.

But maybe it likes me as I'm also a machine.......

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Email in the cloud - FAIL

That's all I have

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

And I care "||" that much

Yahoo! mail! is! down!

Boring ... unless I can make the same trick work on the wifey.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

One of my accounts worked, one didn't...

Unfortunately the one with the important e-mail I'm expecting today is addressed to the one that didn't.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Outage, no problem, ask for a refund

You do pay for this mail service, don't you?

Ahh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Yahoo Mail Plus Paid Service

Why is it so many fail to notice that there is a paid service with Yahoo Mail Plus. Yes, yes I know, who cares? I do.

Mail Plus gives me the option to POP (preferred to IMAP) but also, more importantly, use of Yahoo Messenger VoIP services. While there are other free POP/IMAP webmails, the Yahoo VoIP is cheaper and apparently more reliable than alternatives such as Skype. I have no complaints over many years of reliable Yahoo service.

6. nyelvmark
    WTF?

Yahoo has customer service?

I thought that was an old-fashioned idea. I'm a Yahoo mail user, but I've never looked for such a feature. Perhaps it's only available to premium users?

I thought the modern trend was to simply have an autoreply bot which responds to all complaints with a standard reply: a list of instructions about how to know whether you have an internet account; how to open the world's only web browser; and why it's your fault for having a faulty/infected machine.

Sending someone an e-mail telling them how to connect to the internet might seem pretty stupid to you and me, but I guess it reduces the traffic from those who can only read as fast as their index fingers can move.

7. Uncle Siggy
    Trollface

Yippee!

To the the cloud!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Didn't notice Yahoo down. Google Groups, on the other hand...

I check my Yahoo.co.uk email every few hours. I haven't noticed any downtime.

On the other hand, Google Groups, which I use to read (text) newsgroups from multiple places, is the best part of a week behind on the handful of ngs I bother with. And it was a week or so behind a few weeks back too. Then it caught up. For a while.

As Siggy says, this cloud is marvellous stuff, innit. I've got loadsa money; send me your snake oil adverts.

9. Captain DaFt
    Meh

Well, I had a problem yesterday and the day before that...

try to log on, get a flat "CONNECTION REFUSED" message from Yahoo.

Simple fix was to go to My Yahoo main page, then click mail icon, and I was in.

Faster, safer, easier to use they say... pfft! How about slower, buggier, but Oh shiny!

Oh well, at least for me, it's just an account for forums that demand an email address for access.

(I pop by daily just to clear out the spam.)

10. James Woods

title

So what this means is the worlds spam flow took a hit I guess.

With all the end-of-the-world talk of us running out of ip's take a look sometime at how many ip's yahoo sends mail from and occupies. Forget different ip's on the same c block (/24). They have /19's and /18's they break mail up on.

Spamhaus would call it snoe-showing, yahoo calls it doing business.

Arin, anyone home?

11. Shannon Jacobs
    Devil

Yahoo loves spam and deserves to go bankrupt

Yahoo was probably overloaded by the new tide of spam. Improving the friendliness of Yahoo for spammers and making it harder to fight Yahoo-based spammers are the largest changes in their recent round of random changes.

Hey, I know Yahoo isn't listening to anyone, but how about if you Yahoo fools STOP helping spammers? If you can't deal with them, at least you could try to give us better spam-fighting tools than your current crock.

Icon is to indicate I regard Yahoo as spawn of Satan, though it's actually just par for American companies. The American laws have been completely rewritten by the most immoral businessmen so that they basically require every American company to become evil just to survive. If you want to succeed in America, your company has to become much more evil than that. Ask Google, eh?

12. Old Handle
    Unhappy

Sad

You'd think that having bought out one of the web's first free email services (RocketMail), and maintaining it under their own brand for well over a decade, Yahoo! might! have! some! idea! how! to! do! -ahem- webmail, but apparently not.

13. Al fazed
    Trollface

well,

Does it matter ?

Ditch the buggers is what I say.

Especially as the bugs that are running their mail servers don't like the content of some stories being run in The Register !

I've had numerous messages that I sent to my clients, which contain links to security related articles in The Register, returned to me, marked as "undeliverable".

Apparently, according to the Postmaster's blurb, a Policy doesn't agree with the content.

Have they been botted too ?

ALF

14. Kevin7
    FAIL

Why are you using Yahoo! Mail?

That is all.

1. Richard Ball

He isn't

They are

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Explain...

...please...

I've used it for years and found it to be bullet proof or is the fail because it is neither a Google or Crapple product?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Mmmm...

...something to do with the forced upgrade to the new "improved" version that's going on.

2 days ago got told to upgrade to the new version. I clicked not now / continue. Today it's been upgraded.

Apparently the latest version of Opera is not supported and I should get a newer browser. Odd still works fine though (except My photos)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Careful! where! you! click!

I switched to Classic Mail and so far it's still Classic Mail. I did notice that in the Mail help pages there are buttons at the bottom along the lines of 'Return to newest Yahoo!' which I'm not touching with a barge pole.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like