back to article HTC sues Apple in the UK

Smartphone maker HTC is taking rival Apple to court in the UK just weeks after losing a preliminary ruling over two patent violations in the US. The latest case was filed at the High Court on 29 July according to reports on Bloomberg, but the exact nature of the litigation in HTC Europe Co v Apple Inc was not specified. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alain williams Silver badge

Time to go & buy ...

that HTC that I have been thinking of getting for some time...

Actually any Android will do - but I want a keyboard with a control key since I will be wanting to ssh into Linux systems -- recommendations anyone ?

1. Thomas 4

Some advice

I'd steer clear of the Droid/Milestone. While the screen and processor are pretty good, Motorola is terrible at updating and the keyboard is of very poor quality.

2. John Robson Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Bluetooth keyboard...

I have a folding BT keyboard, with a control key - but the HTC senseUI conflicted with the latest BT drivers, so it can't support HID.

Installed cyanogenmod (other firmwares exist) and it's lovely. I have a very small laptop.

Icon? I even get an Escape key (even if it does require two buttons to be pushed)

3. Giles Jones Gold badge
      Facepalm

Don't feel the patent trolls

By buying a HTC you are feeding the patent trolls (ie. Microsoft).

http://www.businessinsider.com/htc-pays-microsoft-5-per-android-phone-2011-5

So you aren't being as clever as you think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

patent trolling

Unlike Apple, Microsoft licensed its relevant patent portfolio to HTC. Just got its "legal" pound of flesh, and extended its "legal protection".

(As indeed it should have, as HTC has made most WinMob devices worth their salt, along with the current crop of Win7 phones).

But the money aside, Apple trying to patent "grid of icons" thing is kind of low. There needs to be a higher threshold for a non-obvious claim to be granted.

Also, software patents should expire more quickly than mechanical ones like, say, in two years. Two years is a lot of time in softwareland. It is more than enough to exploit the headstart, and short enough to drive innovation and not stifle it. Designers and manufacturers should make the money, not the lawyers.

On a sidenote: I wonder how the web would be, if for instance Opera had the "foresight" to patent the, say, tabbed browsing?

4. Chemist

"wanting to ssh into Linux systems"

Am I missing something ? - I SSH into my Linux systems all the time without a control key.

Just asking.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Why control key

''Am I missing something ? - I SSH into my Linux systems all the time without a control key.''

Control & Escape are really useful if you want to use emacs.

1. hplasm
          Mushroom

Now you've done it....

You had to say the E word...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
          Boffin

EMACS

EMACS Makes A Computer Slow

3. Chemist

Re : Why control key

Thanks, I 'd just read it as though it was necessary for SSH.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

thank goodness i'm not alone

"Am I missing something ? - I SSH into my Linux systems all the time without a control key."

if you use gnu screen, a ctrl key is indispensable.

the milestone has a decent enough screen resolution and the keypad is acceptable apart from the hideous top row. but some key combinations don't work when using connect bot. i find it easier to connect and work using putty from my e71.

5. dubno
      Thumb Up

a suggestion

HTC Desire Z .. flip out keyboard - works like a charm for SSH'ing back to the boxen.

6. Zbig

Desire Z

Go for HTC Desire Z then. While using Irssi ConnectBot SSH client, the optical trackpad key will serve as CTRL key by default.

2. g e

Depends how much SSH you're doing

You can install alternate touch keyboards that have CTRL char panes in them which, if you're not doing lots and lots of SSH may well suffice.

One keyboard is 'Full Keyboard' by Haily Lin

If you can borrow a pal's Android phone to try it then you may find it's enough which gives you more phone options like Galaxy Sii and Sensation

3. TigerEyes

Use ConnectBot and Hacker's Keyboard

All you need for SSH into Linux from Android is ConnectBot and the associated Hacker's Keyboard (which has CTRL and ESC keys). Connectbot is to Android what PuTTY is to Windows

4. George 24

How much cheaper

would smart phones and tablets be if CrApple stopped sewing Samsung who stopped sewing M$ who stopped sewing HTC who stopped sewing CrApple.... Hardware $20, legal fees $600.

1. Ragarath
      Coat

Dropped out of the IT game then?

So they have all taken up textiles now.

Perhaps they are seeing who can make their lawyers the best suits.

Sorry couldn't resist. Hence coat.

2. Angus Wood
      Trollface

re: How much cheaper

And they've got the market sewn up!

1. Ru
        Coat

How else might one tailor a law suit?

:o)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm too slow

Only just cottoned on to that comment

1. A J Stiles

This thread is going to run and run

This thread is going to run and run .....

1. dssf

Very crafty...

You got me laughing into stitches.. I was almost bursting at the seams... But, i cannot afford to have more buttons popping off...

2. CmdrX3

I don't mind

.. it has me in stitches

5. Jolyon

@Angus

That had me in stitches.

6. John Tappin

career choice

perhaps patent litigation is the new career of choice. With all the corps suing each other for patents of dubious merit instead of developing products there will be a never ending flow of money into law.

Hope the lawyers dont book 6 minute meetings or IBM will sue them for that too...

7. Disgruntled
    Meh

How long will HTC last?

How long will it be before Apple buy out HTC? Engadget said in April that HTC's market capitalisation was about $34b, Apple could pay cash for that and still have another $40b in the bank!

8. Gordon 10

High horses

Before everyone gets on their anti-apple high horses let's all remember that all these tech co's ate as bad as each other when it comes to patent trolling, and at least they are not obvious patent squatters like some.

Let's also not forget that it was HTC who was a gleeful partner of M$ who allegedly helped them rip off most of Sendo's ip when the first iteration of win

Mob came out.

Indeed one could argue that the Sense UI would not exist without some very iffy behaviour on the part of HTC.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

A Californian company is being sued by a Taiwanese company in the UK. Why exactly? For the air miles?

10. Watashi

Risk

Mobile computing seems to be turning into a real-world game of Risk. Apple currently has the US sown up thanks to national protectionism whilst Samsung has South Korea for the same reason and now India thanks to India's dislike of what it sees as US intellectual property rights Imperialism. Expect these two companies to be doing big deals with large public sector organisations around the globe over the next few years in an attempt to capture entire national markets in one fell swoop.

11. Alan Denman
    Pirate

Steve Jobs handiwork

If you ain't got an iPhone we will milk you anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like