back to article Sony Ericsson toying with tabletphone

Sony Ericsson is developing a glasses-free 3D handset, rumoured to integrate the tablet and smartphone into a 4.7in hybrid. The whispers come by way of Androidandme, that claims Sony Ericsson's secret smartphone will go toe-to-toe with the LG Optimus 3D and HTC Evo 3D. The forthcoming device will apparently handle a 1280x720p …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromearth
    FAIL

Pointless product

3D = nausea, headaches.

2. jai

no thanks

3D in the cinema? yes, that I quite enjoy.

I don't think there's really any need for it in the living room though, and certainly not on a phone.

3. Thomas 4
    Meh

3D appeal?

Can't say it really does on a smartphone. It may look cool having your icons stretching into the distance in your phone but unless you can actually reach through your touchscreen, there's naff all point to it. 3D TV on a phone will be distinctly underwhelming, given that it hasnt even taken off on larger screens and given the dearth of decent Android games in 2D, I fail to see many game developers taking advantage of 3D processing power.

4. Rovindi
    Windows

snigger

"Sony already revealed the S1 and S2 fondleslabs, promising us a "summer of tablets", an event usually associated with those who rave off to Ibiza."

Cracking line.

5. envmod
    FAIL

no to 3D!

stop trying to cram 3D down our throats! why the hell would anyone want 3D on a smartphone anyway? pointless gimmick. hell, i can see sony taking a bath on this one....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Well done sir...

well done... I take it they studied the market rejection of the Nintendo 3DS and totally ignored it !!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Rovindi

ha not only are the ibiza ravers involved in "summer of tablets" but also "cracking lines"

8. Andrew Garrard

Sod the 3D, but I'll take the pixels

If 1280x720 is the screen resolution and not just the video format that it supports, I'm very interested. I just gave up on waiting for an Evo 3D and got a Sensation, on the basis that there were rumours of a Nexus 4 with a 1280x720 screen at the end of the year. 3D would be a bonus, 4.7" isn't that much bigger than the Sensation's 4.3" (although I'm not sure I'd want to go much bigger still), and the ability to play some HD content without mangling it and, more importantly, to get as much detail as possible out of web pages and PDFs means I remain a pixel junkie. It took forever for phones to get past WVGA (well, WVGA+), and qHD has always seemed like a stopgap measure.

I wouldn't turn down 3D as a bonus, though - I'm sure I can find a use for it for occasional gaming, 3D photos, and video content - if the lenticular layer doesn't mangle the screen and battery life too much. It's very much a secondary concern to pixel count, for me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like