back to article Sun compo entrants' privates exposed in public

Security lapses at News International have exposed the email addresses and other personal information of readers who entered competitions in The Sun, the UK's biggest selling daily newspaper. The names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of birth of thousands of people were also exposed by the hack, reckoned to have probably …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sun readers...

Sun readers deserve all* they get.

(* they usually come in pairs)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Obvious?

I love how consultants always say things are obvious. 20/20 and all that. But encrypting data in the buisness isn't black and white. That data needs to be accessed, so a way to de-crypt it as to exist. The devil is in the details as they say.

Besides, this is all more or less easy to optain information. You can get a lot of the same in the phonebook. Does't make the security lapse any less serious, of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

More and more of these incidents are happening

I can't help but think that if the hackers/crackers/script kiddies are caught it wont just be the hacking that would be punished but, if the information was used by others for criminal activity, it would also mean that they aided the criminals in their effort to defraud. In many ways that is worse than the guy going through the bins looking for personal information to apply for credit cards in your name...after all, these hackers could be responsible for thousands of people being ripped off. A good barrister would see them sent away for life and I can't see why they think it is worth the risk, especially considering they wont get any support what so ever from the general public.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

One more reason why..

The Sky merger should be canned and give back F1 to the BBC!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Old competition data shouldn't be kept on their servers!

That's bad practice right there!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree...

... there i no need to hold that data once the competition has closed. The Sun should be investigated for data misuse for not deleting it once it was no longer needed.

6. bdam
    FAIL

Sunday Times Social List = Countries Thick List?

http://www.the-social-list.com/

Yes Rupert, I've seen no reason in the media recently not to trust you with my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Foursquare passwords so here they are.

7. John Whitehead

Culpability

It's obvious that the Sun would be done under data protection legislation if they had deliberately exposed this information; it seems to me that if they were negligent in defending it they should also be liable.

Can anybody in the know about these matters explain how it's done? Are these kiddies geniuses who can tear down the most carefully constructed defences, or is it rather that they troll around looking to exploit easily guessed passwords etc. If the latter the Sun should be done.

8. John Macintyre

fair enough but...

maybe it's just me, but posting an online bullying forum seems to be detremental in the wrong way, surely they could stick to the online posts about 'how great page 3 girl x's xxx are, phwoar' and the like rather than things that could make people who are already suffering suffer even more?

probably just me though. As for the general point of the sun being hacked, meh, release the hounds...

as to how, I guess it's more down to how easy they make it. Lots of companies don't consider data security until the last minute, and even then they don't always spend the time and money fixing it. Just look at Sony

9. Gulfie
    Stop

Nice story, shame about the headline

So El Reg is more than filling the creating headline writing gap that has been left after the sudden demise of the New of the World. Well done.

1. Cpt Blue Bear
      FAIL

You must be new around here

I assume you meant creative headline writing (please correct me if I'm wrong), which has been a game at The Reg for years. I think there was even an article recounting some of the editor's favourites...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

swan-munching Taliban paedo's

this would be a highly-prized list of ...ahem, Sun readers, further self-selected for their enthusiastic response to prize-winning opportunities. What a gift!!.

Vote now on...

"should swan-munching Taliban paedo's be given free NHS treatment?"

( YES ) ( NO and INSTALL )

11. Tony Green

Amazing!

Sun "readers" have actually evolved sufficient intelligence to use computers. Who'd've thought it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You give them too much credit by call them readers...

...they just look at the pictures of lady bumps on Page Three and occasionally grunt.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Tony Green

Obviously they all use Internet Explorer....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

13. cs94njw
    Devil

I had an email from them...

...but only because I blanket enter competitions I see listed on HotUKDeals ;)

Didn't mention anything about compensation or anything, so filed it away.

This topic is closed for new posts.