back to article Paying for software

How many times have you heard cloud computing justified on the grounds of flexibility? Well, as it turns out, this is largely garbage, at least in relation to Software as a Service (SaaS) commercials. It seems that when it comes to hosted apps, 12 months contracts and the ‘ratchet’ principle apply. Flexible, sure, but only to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Barr
    FAIL

Erm...

What you're saying is that companies are trying to make as much money as possible, and don't exist with the goal of making the world a better place? That their new innovations aren't designed to cannibalise what they do already?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The cloud . . .

The security risks make cloud computing high risk, too high risk.

This is already a problem, so only fools push it. Clouds RAIN, and in computing the rain is your data. I'll pay a little more and provide my own solutions and take responsibility for my own data.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Cloud + Honeypot traps

= gotcha! ?

4. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Really new economic models?

Time for something completely different? Here's a completely different way to pay for software development:

http://eco-epistemology.blogspot.com/2009/11/economics-of-small-donors-reverse.html

In contrast to Kickstarter (and even though this idea was devised before I ever heard of it), I believe their needs to be significant emphasis on project planning and MUCH more emphasis on adequate testing. There are way too many graveyards of good ideas, though SourceForge is probably the biggest.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like