back to article PlayStation Vita release leaked

Sony's next handheld gaming platform, the PlayStation Vita, could be on shelves as early as October, after release dates were spotted on a Blockbuster flier. As it stands, Sony has officially confirmed the Vita for sometime vaguely in late 2011 through a phased global release. We kind of expected the first Vitas to appear in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

RAM

I was reading on a dev's blog last week, that the RAM has already been cut on the Vita. If they've not started manufacturing yet, that doesn't leave them very long does it?

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Maybe they'll just use firmware to block 256MB of the RAM off

Stranger things have happened...

1. DrXym

Firmware restrictions

Both the PSP and PS3 imposed restrictions through firmware which were gradually loosened as updates appeared through console's lifecycle. The PSP unlocked higher clock speeds. The PS3 freed up system memory. I expect as the firmware develops and is optimized and new features are added, firmware devs have a fairer idea how much memory they need and can return some to games.

It's also not uncommon for specs to change between announcement and release. The PS3 supposedly had two HDMI outs to begin with and then it became one. Maybe at the time 1080p wasn't viable over a single cable but then with 1.3 it was so the spec changed. Maybe if they're cutting memory it's with the realisation that they don't need as much as they originally thought.

2. LPF

Forget the ram

If those prices are accurate, they can go take a running jump off a short pier!

1. Greg J Preece

3DS

While I concur that Sony are price-gouging Europe, as usual, might I remind you that the 3DS, a console that apparently cost £60 to build, came out at £220 in the UK, £10 less than a wi-fi Vita. And the Vita has a tiny bit more beef/kit, wouldn't you say?

1. oddie
        Thumb Up

while I agree the 3ds was overpriced...

you'd stuggle to find anywhere that sold it for over 200 quid on launch day.

pretty much all the stores marked it down below 200 before that in order to get the pre-order crowd in.

3. David Webb

Very

According to very.co.uk :

http://www.very.co.uk/playstation-vita-wifi/926732216.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fvita

You can expect delivery by 9th of December for £229 (although it's possible to get 10% off that price if you're a new customer, or 20% if you go through one of them cash back thing places)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prices

remember these are RRPs ... as launch is 3 months away I'm sure there'll be opportunity for some adjustment in actual selling prices as everyone watches what everyone else does on the pricing front. Also, remember that prices may be high at launch to catch the mugs^H^H^H^Hearly adopters who have to have it on day one.

Anyway, its priced similar to the launch price of 3DS and I think there's rather a lot more to the Vita than there was to the 3DS.

5. rcdicky
    Happy

I don't think they're priced that bad tbh

And the supermarkets will likely price-war that down below £200

It's all about the games though, whether it's even worth that

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I call fake...

MW3 Release date is wrong.

1. Studley

Fake or bobbins...

...I'm not sure whether I'm more excited about "Stars Wars" or "Xmen".

7. Shane8
    Trollface

/sadpanda

Awww no option to have a linux partition this time? /sadpanda

8. Frank Drebin

Tbh...

Call me an old miserablist, but after being a launch-day recipient of the PS2 and the PSP with their rather iffy starting lineups and after what Sony did to Europe over the price, launch date and diminished feature set of the PS3... I'm finally telling Sony to go fuck itself. Add to that the whole PSN fiasco - I'm remaining a Sony boycotter forever more. Feels good man.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Ah *Vita*....

.....without an "s".

You had me worried for a moment there.......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like