back to article HTC delays Evo 3D release

HTC has confirmed reports that the HTC Evo 3D has been pushed back to September, two months from when initially proposed. The news comes after Vodafone removed the Evo 3D from its 'coming soon' page and released a statement to say: "Owing to the delayed launch of the device, we took the decision not to include the EVO 3D in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Mushroom

This is a perfect illustration of the problem.

I speak as a happy Desire Z owner who likes HTC's kit. The problem is that the market in the US is totally distorted by the overwhelming control of the market that the carriers have. This would be ok in the sense that if the American customer is prepared to poke up with this situation then, fine. The problem is that the market elsewhere whether we are talking about Europe or Asia has to dance to the American carrier's tune because of the influence that the US market has. I, personally speaking, am piss-tired off waiting for *my* upgrade (I buy "unlocked") because the American carriers need so much time to piss around with the phones they may condescend to offer. It is about time that the rest of us did not get crapped on because the average US customer refuses to buy their phone on anything other than credit. You can't afford it, don't buy it and let the rest of us get on with our lives. We are already paying blood because of your "sub-prime mortgage market", can't we at least buy a mobile phone without your credit-addiction frakking everything up?

1. David Barr
      Meh

In the UK at least

When I've looked at prices, it seems to be always cheaper financing the phone with higher line rental than paying for the phone up front.

I don't want it that way, but there doesn't seem to be any SIM only contracts for x number of months, only 30 day rolling.

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@David Barr RE "In the UK at least"

That may very well be the case. Indeed my impression (I have not lived in the UK for about ten years) of the UK carrier market is that there is a great deal more genuine competition than is currently the case in the US. The problem is that the American market has such influence that we all are in some degree subjected to it. Thus the reason for my "rant" -:)

2. Lloyd
    FAIL

Meh

I loved my HTC Desire for the nine months or so, but in the last 6 months the battery's dying after about 8 hours, the screen's started finding touches that aren't there and it's generally being flakey, all in all not impressed. Mind you it doesn't crash and destroy my data every time I upgrade the OS so it's still better than my iPhone was.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

@Meh

So it seems you can't have your cake and eat it with any of these so called 'smartphones'.

I've tried a Desire and didn't like it. Stuck to iPhone and didn't regret it (alot less software issues, problems with app incompatibility - and I've yet to lose data on an iPhone). None of them are perfect, but hey, it's Friday - they all have GPS and can all find a pub!

3. Conrad Longmore
    Trollface

HTC Sensation

The EVO 3D is almost identical to the HTC Sensation, apart from the 3D crap and the EVO's better camera. So, if you want a fast and fairly big HTC right now then the Sensation is probably the one to go for.

4. Andrew Garrard

That's reassuring...

Turns out I made the right decision by upgrading to a Sensation a couple of weeks back, then. I was trying to wait for an Evo 3D to launch so I could compare them, but some rumours of a 720p Nexus 4 (for thanksgiving, according to the rumour) made me think I'd rather get something sooner that I might only live with for a few months, rather than waiting for a better device to keep for longer.

A shame the Sensation is a little down on memory, comparatively (mainly the amount *free* seems tiny, although I've hardly run out). There are a lot of "reviews" of the Evo 3D by people who've never seen the phone - those claiming that it had a keyboard are particularly amusing.

I'd genuinely like 3D on a phone, if it doesn't compromise other features (especially resolution). On my priority list, though, it's behind getting the screen resolution up to 1280xsomething and adding a picoprojector.

5. Alistair MacRae

Seem's to be a big pointer that the iPhone 4S/5 is out in September.

I don't blame Vodafone for dumping the EVO 3D they should have delivered on time.

I might have got one of these as it's all new and shiny.

As people are hinting that the iPhone is out in september I think Vodafone is going to push them instead. They did say "other exciting smartphones" will be released in September.

Apple are keeping quiet probably want to sell a few more iPhone 4s while they can.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Too many models?

I wonder if Vodafone have really just thought they have too many models nearly the same, the Sensation is only a few months old and this phone is basically the same thing with 3 less megapixels but added 3D and a bigger battery to compensate for the parallax barrier. So it's basically heavier and has a worse camera for the sake of adding a gimmick...

I was in a Vodafone shop in London and even their staff were apparently confused, they had mis-labelled the Wildfire S, Desire S and Sensation, they look so similar and the information was by all the wrong phones - and no that wasn't the customers doing it, this was on a permanent display with the phones attached to those bungee cord things.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh no, not CPW!

“We can confirm that the HTC EVO 3D will be available to UK customers through Carphone Warehouse from September 2011.”

Oh ****! I won't be having one of those then. I made the mistake of choosing The Carphone Warehouse a few years ago. I am a business customer and they treated me exactly the same as a 19 year old delinquent chav. I knew it wasn't going to go well when they failed to set up my direct debit correctly the first month then, even though they acknowledged it was their fault they hadn't been paid, they suspended my phone whilst I was travelling on business.

Never again...

8. miknik
    Thumb Down

title

Didn't everyone already know this? Gummobile and at least one other I have seen this on have had a 2nd September release date listed for ages.

Hurry up and review it so I can decide if its worthy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like