back to article Facebook honeytrap used in Belgian hypermart blag

Belgian crooks used a Facebook relationship lure to trick a hypermarket manager into a trap, kidnapping him and obtaining keys to the store's safe before making good their escape. Local police have put out an appeal for information about the apparently well-planned blag on Thursday, five months after an audacious scam that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yag
    Facepalm

Oh my... Fecesbook again...

I guess the old misanthropic motto is still applicable : No friends = No problems.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or not

You need to fix the second link, it goes to the same place as the first

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Facebook honey trap"

How about a "Facetrap"?

4. Shane8
    Pint

2nd link....

Best advicie you can find...

"...my recommendation would be to ignore it and go out for a beer instead."

only addition would be to delete your FB account :-]

5. F111F
    WTF?

Belgian Cops Website...

is in Dutch (German?), except for "Home, Contact, faq, Downloads, and Sitemap" in the upper right corner. Is there a reason why these terms aren't translated as well? Are these terms fixed? Are they just that common that everyone recognizes them? Or, was some IT guy lazy and didn't bother converting when he built the website?

1. only_mortal

Dutch in Antwerp

They speak a dialect of Dutch in Antwerp that's know as "Vlaams" (Flemish in English).

2. Patrick R
      Pint

in Dutch (German?)

I'm curious as how you recognize dutch if you don't know it's different from german ???

"Dutch" is english for "nederlands" which is spoken in the Netherlands and by a majority of their Belgian neighbours (flemish is as close to dutch as american is to english, mainly the accent is different). "Deutsch" is german for ..."german", spoken in Germany. And a few of their Belgian neighbours as well.

And yes, "Home, Contact, faq, Downloads, and Sitemap" are quite universal.

Beer because there are obviously other things to know about that small country.

6. Fake Ninja
    FAIL

Fail

How much of a @!*# do you have to be to accept a 'friend' request from someone you don't know? I'm so glad I don't use Facebook and deal with my friends using old fashioned techniques, like telephone calls, and drunken sojourns to the local.

7. Lionel Baden

Why is it that criminals can only do this online ???

Cant they just get their tits out and jiggle em a bit and then then would need to subdue him

8. Rob

Good advice

You can give as much good advice and guidelines until your blue in the face but desperate people will ignore all common sense. In this case a single man thought he might be in for a night of food and sex.... at what point will common sense intervene in this senario... answers on a postcard too P.O. Box Bleedin Obvious

1. Nuke
      Thumb Down

@ Rob

Rob wrote : - "desperate people will ignore all common sense. In this case a single man thought he might be in for a night of food and sex"

You have to be desperate to go on a date? Don't tell me you are one of those people who say that you should only meet people that you have already met before. My mother gave me useless advice like that - sounded like Catch 22 to me.

Millions of people meet first over the internet these days. In fact it is a mystery to me how else a couple would meet each other - or how they used to before the internet. Ask older couples how they met and they wave their arms and say "Oh, it just happened" - great advice that.

Just because you hear of a car crash somewhere does not mean you should not drive; it just means be careful, so yes it is best to meet a blind date in a public place. But take someone else with you???? Sounds like the Spanish interpreter in that Blackadder episode.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Van Loo

should have been a clue to be a bit more cautious....

10. David Eddleman
    Stop

So true...

Especially @Fake Ninja. I've had friend requests from people on FB before that I didn't know. So I sent them a message asking who they were, how they knew me, etc. Bots don't reply back, so then I ignore them.

Recently met a friend that I knew online at her place. For safety I texted the address to a coworker and let him know where I was going (as it was away from home) just in case it went sour. Thankfully nothing happened (and it was a very good time!) but safety ahead prevented things from going sideways.

1. Chrome

Hmm

"Recently met a friend that I knew online at her place. For safety I texted the address to a coworker and let him know where I was going (as it was away from home) just in case it went sour. Thankfully nothing happened (and it was a very good time!) but safety ahead prevented things from going sideways."

I'm not sure how you have arrived at this conclusion. Using the story as a template, you have given your co-worker the address of an empty building at which no trace of you will be found, you having been overpowered and kidnapped

Also, this is a failure only scenario: you won't know if it's safe until something 'goes sideways' and your plan is called upon to prove itself. It's like with backups, except testing them (in most cases) won't get you potentially killed

Taking someone with you, while not the perfect safety option, is at least proven. In this case it would have evened the odds and maybe even prevented it as the kidnappers were expecting a single person

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Nightclub honeytrap used in Belgian hypermart blag!

Crooks used a "nightclub relationship lure" to trick a hypermarket manager into a trap, kidnapping him and obtaining keys to the store's safe before making good their escape.

Amazingly, no social networking software was needed for this heist.

Police are totally stumped on how the perps managed to obtain the requisite "facetime" to make good their sophisticated scheme.

Politicians were not long in denouncing the increasing prevalence and brazeness of software-less heists. "Something must be done and we are actively working on a legislative proposal for next week", minister Jim Y. Mommony declared during a hastily assembled press conference. Several QUANGOs have already expressed their interest in taking this issue up.

1. Nick Pettefar

"we are actively working on a legislative proposal for next week"

No government. Remember?

Just beer and chocolate.

Economy doing well.

Cheers!

12. Graham Bartlett

Silly person

Which goes to show why first dates should always be in a public place, I guess.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he hadn't agreed to meet Katrien ...

... then presumably the crooks would have had to go round to his apartment and overpower him there. I'm finding it hard to see how this was a "scam" or how it "relied on the power of social networking". It sounds like robbery with violence to me, and there are lots of other ways they could have got at the guy if that way hadn't worked.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ah!

Not a problem for me, all my 30,000 Facebook friends that I never knew before and never met in person are trustworthy, they'd never do something like that. In fact, one is so admirative of my expensive sport car that he invited me to his cottage on the edge of a cliff. So don't belittle the awesomeness of Facebook that creates new friendship all over the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like