back to article WinPho 7.5 captured in action

The world's first Windows Phone 7.5 has been outed in a fresh video showing a Toshiba-Fujitsu IS12T handset. The OS, better known as Mango, gets a show off its new tricks in this three minute movie. A couple of days ago, we reported how the IS12T phone would hit Japan this September, with this demo signalling that Mango is on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter 48
    Happy

waterproof?

I was reasonably interested until they explained that it was water proof too - that really impressed me

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: waterproof?

Has to be as it's a WinPho device.

Doesn't matter how good it is, the fanbois will still sling mud at it....

2. SteveBalmer
    Thumb Down

Meh

Looks like the "tricks" are tricks from 2009.

Do they really think people want Microsoft phones with hardly any app support?

It's clear to see that Microsoft are pushing all this positive PR to the media, but why the selective reporting? When it was Android 2 years back, everyone was talking about lack of apps, why are the pressing now keeping quiet on app counts when it's Microsoft's turn? (Money, that's why...)

1. Jim Coleman
      WTF?

Apps?

Funny, my Winphone isn't lacking any apps I want / need. I hear there's nearly 30,000 and I'm using about 50.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Almost all crap thou.

Seriously none of the decent apps are available on a minority platform like WP7.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

I'll tell you why

It's because of this amazing conspiracy that involves apes, politicians being bribed, journalists making pacts with manufacturers, packs of badgers playing kazoos, clandestine meetings of the Catholic Church, snakes dancing around mushrooms in a brothel and other so secret things that to mention this major conspiracy them would almost sound like you were deluded or maybe, even a little paranoid.

Got to love a good conspiracy.

The above is all absolutely true, some bloke down the pub told me last night.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny...

When Android was released, all I remember was the relentless, gushing reports from media, nothing about a lack of apps. Compare that to the release of WP7 form MS and there was almost nothing.

3. Spearchucker Jones

Nice.

I've been developing on Mango since early June, and have had Mango on my phone since the end of June. While the "OMG where's my update" madness surrounding Nodo was surprising since no one really uses copy/paste more than a handful of times a year, Mango really is good. In an underwhelming way. I've had no need for multitasking yet other than music, which multi-tasked from day one anyway. Turn-by-turn directions are nice but I've never used it to get somewhere. The GPS app I wrote now supports it to record breadcrumbs whilst in the background, but that's been the extent of it. The part that impressed me the most is the eye candy - the improved jump lists are one of the best UI gimmicks I've seen in almost 20 years of working in IT.

4. Malcolm 1

Colour me interested

Getting fairly hacked off with my Android handset today - twice the phone has rung but the unlock screen was unresponsive to swipes causing me to miss an important call.

I've been put off WinPho7 only by the lacklustre hardware, but I shall be paying close attention to this new tranche of hardware (particularly Nokia's).

1. Ryan Clark

unlocking

My winpho7 does that all the time, don't think it will improve on Android.

Watching that video, I couldn't see anything different from nodo, there seems to be a lot of excitement about mango but I can't work out what it gives that I actually want.

1. Jim Coleman
        WTF?

Well...

If your winpho locks up, take it back to the shop and exchange it. Mine has never locked up.

2. SteveBalmer

where the excitement comes from.

Microsoft's army of shill posters they employ to write nice things on forums.

Microsoft's huge bank balance and advertising budget to keep the media sweet.

Microsoft are constantly bribing the press with "press days", and giving them nice gifts. If you write bad things, you no longer get invited...

http://techrights.org/2007/11/23/astroturfing-microsoft-examples/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Steve Balmer

The last resort of a troll or a hateboy eh? Just accuse everyone who doesn't hold your position of being employed by the company you don't like.

Very much like conspiracy theorists - if you don't believe their conspiracy, you must be in on that conspiracy.

2. Jim Coleman
      Angel

The thing is...

Winpho doesn't need particularly amazing hardware in order to run silky-smooth. Android needs fast CPUs because of its lack of optimization.

1. SteveBalmer
        FAIL

Confused

As Windows (and Windows Mobile) have always been hardware hogs, and Windows Phone 7 is nothing new, it's just more crap loaded onto an already creaking WindowsCE platform and given a name that will confuse consumers into buying one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@SteveBalmer

Please give it up... You're not convincing anyone...

2. Jonathan 27

Wrong

Have you ever used a Windows Phone 7? The OS is substantially different from Windows Mobile, sharing only a (very modified) kernel. Not only that it runs much smoother on similar hardware (I have used the Samsung Galaxy S and the Samsung Focus)

5. Steve Knox
    FAIL

No.

No device encryption. No use.

1. Spearchucker Jones
      FAIL

@Steve Knox: Troll much?

Search MSDN for System.Security.Cryptography.AesManaged, then scroll to the bottom and have a look at supported OS's.

Windows Phone 7 has better security than Android, and arguably the same as Blackberry. IOS provides security similar to WP7, although a lot of the OOB stuff around messaging you get with WP7 and Blackberries is through third parties.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Funny

I can encrypt my whole device on my Asus Transformer with AES256 encryption.

It doesn't get better than that.

More Microsoft FUD/Misinformation from MS viral marketing central.

1. Spearchucker Jones

Funny indeed.

AES256 is great, but how, pray tell, do you securely store keys on your Asus Transformer?!? You might also want to look into the choice of hashing algorithm on your toy.

Seems it does get better than that.

Same old FUD/ignorance from Fandroid central.

6. Dana W
    Thumb Down

You have to be kidding?

That thing jerks like an epileptic!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speak for yourself....

I use Copy/Paste on my Android all the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me too

10 times a week or more.

The only people saying it's not needed are those desperate to try and paint Windows Mobile 7 in a positive light, and doesn't it need it. It's crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

I do too

I use it all the time too.

On my Windows Phone 7 device which has had copy and paste since the NoDo update some months ago.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like