back to article Birmingham council backtracks on moving IT jobs to India

Service Birmingham, the joint venture with Capita that provides services for Birmingham city council, has been asked to abandon plans to offshore IT and other jobs. A spokesman for Service Birmingham told GGC: "Our client, Birmingham city council, is asking us to revisit contractual commitments around offshoring with a view to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Translated

"Our client, Birmingham city council, is asking us to revisit contractual commitments around offshoring with a view to discontinuing the initiative."

-Google Translate - PR Speak to English-

"Damnation! Which idiot account manager signed a contract that wouldn't let us offshore private information processing and increase our lovely lovely profits"

Glad the council called them out on it though.

2. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Up

hurrah

Good for you fellow geeks!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They already made one big mistake

by involving Crapita.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had my cake

sounds like all the consultants have been paid so it doesnt matter if the project doesnt go ahead.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

I thought Birmingham was in India

Sorry that would be Bradford.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hope that was satire

Really, I do.

1. DAN*tastik

@AC Satire

The joke alert icon a clue maybe?

@ Current moderatrix in charge: Is there a way to filter out political correctors' comments? They waste valuable HTML page space...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@DAN

I agree with AC this sort of thing needs to be challenged - Having grown up near Bradford in the 80s, the "jokes" that certain people made about immigrant populations in inner city Bradford were some of the most racist bile I've ever heard.

Compare this against the rise of the EDL etc, and you just can't let it go.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Birmingham in India?

Well both dialects are equally difficult to understand from Skype call centre headsets

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

hurrah!

as an indian, i'm glad. no more cliche's about "thick indian accents", ignorance etc.

1. CD001

You think...

Ye-es - just wait until they have to talk to people with thick Brummie or Black Country accents...

http://www.teetshirts.com/keep-owt-oss-rowd/prod_517.html

9. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

>implying

that running things from Birmingham will mean less Indian accents.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I can think of a good reason for offshoring...

In order to sack everyone in the council (ESPECIALLY MANAGERS), then re-equip and rebuild lean and mean, whilst still providing some semblence of service in the meantime.

It's a lot easier to hire people for a new project than to have to fight unions in order to get rid of all the featherbedding/pork that builds up in local/national government (Govt employees are as parasitic on taxpayers as pensioners and unemployed - probably more so)

1. tfewster
      Facepalm

Outsourcing != offshoring

That's a common aim of Outsourcing, but offshoring doesn't necessarily follow from that step.

Besides, you can bet that the stupid procedures will be kept, just implemented differently

Like the hospital that I worked at that evaluated 7 widely used Hospital Information Systems and then decided to have a Directors son develop a new one because none of the 7 fit their working practices

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Idiot

Idiot

12. PeterM42
    Alert

All offshoring is theft.

I bet the taxpayers of Birmingham are not happy with the idea that their (hard-earned) taxes were going to be given away to India (a country which appears to be in a better financial state than the UK). At the same time increasing the unemployed so that the drain on the UK state purse is even greater.

ALL OFFSHORING IS THEFT!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like