back to article LiveJournal groans under 'immense' DDos attack

LiveJournal is weathering a massive web attack that has meant service disruptions for people who read and write the more than 16 million journals hosted on the community and blogging service. El Reg reported Tuesday that LiveJournal was suffering a prolonged outage that started the previous day. On Wednesday, the site's status …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

o rly

LJ has gone down for days at a time before with no DDoS. Any such DDoS - due to the fact that US nodes are working fine and Russian nodes seem unaffected - must be aimed at London and I'm not seeing any indications of such traffic.

Short version - this smells funny.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>"not seeing any indications of such traffic"

Without knowing from what vantage point you are looking for such traffic, it's hard to evaluate the relevance of your data point. Do you work at LINX?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Uh, no.

I work in Cheltenham.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

That old thing!

It's still alive!

3. wobbler
    FAIL

Not so fast, pardner...

LiveJournal has been mostly down since Monday 7/25 and is still down for a large number of users. I've been able to get on just once in that 3 day period.

Seems to me a better way to protest a restrictive government would be to go after the freakin' government instead of a blog warehouse...

1. frobnicate
      Thumb Down

to protest a restrictive government

In the past it were the pro-government organizations that ddosed LJ.

1. breakfast Silver badge
        Megaphone

This

In Russia LJ is the major blogging service and there are a lot of political journals, making it a major centre of free speech. As dissent is practically ( if not theoretically ) frowned on there, it seems to attract a lot of attacks from those who would prefer the actions of the government to go unquestioned.

2. Captain Thyratron

Yep.

Livejournal is a much nicer service than it used to be, ever since all the whiney teenagers left for Facebook and got replaced by the likes of Novaya Gazeta and even Dmitri Medvedev.

And with upwards of 800,000 Russian users, including many high-profile political activists, it certainly is an appealing political target.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>"to protest a restrictive government"

Are you aware of some statement from Anonymous or similar claiming responsibility for these attacks, which the article makes no mention of? Or are you just under the false impression that they are the only people in the world who ever do DDoS attacks?

1. Owen Carter
        Holmes

Because

"Are you aware of some statement from Anonymous or similar claiming responsibility"

Err; nothing from them yet but might be related; they are after all Legion.. and Expected.

Nobody here seems to wonder if this is good 'ole fashion blackmail?

3. Tom 13

To protest a restrictive government,

you pretty much need to stand in front of the tanks as they roll down Main Street. For some odd reason most people aren't willing to do that. All the rest are pikers pretending to protest restrictive government, when they have no idea what truly restrictive governments are.

4. Zobbo
    Thumb Down

Not working for me

I haven't been able to get on for about 3 days now, just tried a few mins ago, still no luck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like