back to article One-third of US consumers will buy an iPhone 5

According to a new survey, over one third of US consumers plan to buy an iPhone 5, and a new rumor suggests that they'll only need to wait until the first week of September to assuage their aching desire. "Our survey data confirms the strong following Apple has built around its iPhone, with more than one-third of consumers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

thats the way the money goes

Ah, another major contribution to the US deficit

( how much of that spend will remain circulating in the US economy - 1% or less ? )

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: The way the money goes

Actually quite a lot more than 1%. Chinese companies only get about $5 for each iDevice they assemble. The retail channel takes quite a bit of the money, and the people in Cupertino who design it also get quite a bit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Yeah, right

I suspect what they're really saying is that "one third of our probably-not-very-well-normalised, highly-skewed-towards-a-tech-savvy-demographic-because-it's-an-online-survey audience says now that they'll think about buying an iPhone 5 but they'll probably change their minds when push comes to shove and they realise they can get a better-but-less-me-too Android phone for half the price".

I would have thought El cynical Reg would have questioned this clearly nonsense phoney statistic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Not Nokia

Nokia sold over 100 million smartphones last year and if Apple were truly going to sell to 35% of the US "consumers" then that is exactly what they would need to sell if they wanted to reach that statistic. You are right, El Reg should have figured that out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually

That's the power of developing the world's strongest brand. When people are asked, the response they give is the first one that pops in their head. Android manufacturers have difficulty establishing brand awareness for the make and model of each Android phone because there are so many of them, and the Android OS itself is the dominant brand, not the phone hardware. So it is inevitable Android phones will be proportionately under - represented. So there's no need to complain like a fanboy just because someone has done the job of gathering survey responses and the result is one you don't like.

3. Flybert

well.. they may "plan to"

smartphones are about 55% of the new mobile phone market and iPhone is currently 17% of the smartphone market

let's say by September, the smartphone share of all new phones goes to 60% and iPhone's market share of that goes .. let's be generous .. to 25% because of the new version

that's still only 15% of the mobile phone market ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not stating all the facts?

I've read the original article. It states that 18% would go for android, 7% for Windows Phone and 6% for Blackberry. But the Register article says that there is no love for Windows phone? How's that?

Windows phone according to the survey you are quoting is slightly higher than blackberry now and 40% of Android preferences. I am not saying this survey is highly scientific but these are the facts of the survey.

4. Dazed and Confused
    Trollface

Bet they are laughing

all the way to the bank

Kerching!

Maybe they could put an extra couple of bucks on the price and pay off the US deficit.

5. Studley

Extrapolation fail

998 out of 2,852 respondents to an online electronics shopping site does not mean 35% of US consumers. Or do PriceGrabber really think that Apple will shift 108 million iPhone 5s in the United States alone?

72 per cent of respondents will also get buyer's remorse when the iPhone 6 rumours begin in January.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So, 35%

35% of all dumb-asses that answered the survey will purchase the iphoney 5. Of course this is meaningless as only dumb-asses responded which probably means only those who drink the apple cool aid responded.

Eff Apple

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Pint

Ooh, kitty can scratch!

Some obvious issues there, spewing bile by the bucket-load at people who like stuff that you so obviously don't. So with your wonderful insight into what is contirbuting to the zeitgeist, what do you recomened we all buy then? Perhaps I'll make a point of calling it a pile of shite and avoiding at all costs for no other reason than I dislike it on principle!

7. David Barr
    Meh

Survey is questionable

However it's clear that iPhones are still very fashionable. I wouldn't want to be holding any Apple shares when they suddenly turn into last years fashion. A great deal of the share price is based on the perception that Apple will still be churning out world killing phones in years to come. I suspect it'll all come crashing down eventually.

1. ThomH

Future product transitions are more likely

As in "oh dear, phones risk eating away at our iPod money, better make a phone" and "the phone now seems to have some decent competition, better ship a tablet or something". I think the share price is more based on the perception that Apple are very good at churning out new consumer hits, even with the occasional misfire, rather than that they're tied to any market in particular.

Of course, if any shareholders based their purchase on the idea that a third of US consumers are going to buy an iPhone then they're in for a disappointment as this survey is clearly way off the mark. I guess some sort of iPhone Nano could alter the balance but I don't see any reason the Android-for-the-mass-market juggernaut should stop.

1. James Hughes 1

@ThomH

Interesting post. Apple have brought out new ideas just when their old ones start tailing off (i.e. when competitors start catching). I wonder what their next big thing will be, or have they run out of ideas? New versions of existing product won't keep them going forever.

8. JB
    Meh

Duh

I'd like an Iphone, but I don't really care if it's the 5, 6 or 256 - whatever's out when my current contract is up, I'll get. This sort of survey is rubbish - if asked, I would say I would like to buy a £2,000 laptop, but not having the money, I would get something cheaper instead. Would be interesting to see the figures for actual iphone 5 sales - when it does actually come out!

9. Hardcastle the ancient
    WTF?

So, Mr Vulture

Do you plan to interview PriceGrabber early next year & ask them what went wrong?

10. Kevin 6

Wonder

"following the release of the iPhone 4," said Graham Jones, general manager of PriceGrabber, which conducted the survey of 2,852 online consumers."

How many of those were apple related sites, or for people that done apple related purchases that the survey popped up for...

This survey kinda fails big time mainly due to its relatively small demographic. Lets face it most people wouldn't even bother with surveys unless its about a product they somewhat like. Honestly why not just stand outside a Apple store and ask this you would likely get the same skewed results

11. David Pickering
    FAIL

the title says it all really.

didnt read any of the content.

12. Kimo
    FAIL

Holy Unwarranted conclusion, Batman.

"Our survey data confirms the strong following Apple has built around its iPhone, with more than one-third of consumers planning to upgrade to the latest model only a little over a year following the release of the iPhone 4," stated Graham Jones, general manager of PriceGrabber. "Anticipation and brand loyalty are certainly high, but in today's 24-7 work culture and uncertain economic environment, consumers are cautious to look for a reasonably priced phone that will perform optimally over an extended time period."

Note a few interesting words in here: "more than one-third of customers planning to UPGRADE to the latest model" and "Anticipation and BRAND LOYALTY are certainly high" make me believe that this is a survey of current iPhone owners, not general consumers.

13. dogged
    Gimp

Not surprising

It's like there was a new L Ron Hubbard book. The cultists would flock to it.

14. Steve Evans

Honestly...

What a bunch of sheeple... They don't even know the spec (or price), but they *must* have one.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I've got a turd I can emboss an Apple logo onto if any of them are interested... Best I get eating as I suspect demand could be high.

15. nyelvmark
    Pint

Pig in a poke

However you interpret the rusults, it's clear that thousands, perhaps millions of consumers are already committed to buying something very, very expensive without knowing what it is.

Scary. Waiter! More beer, here! I need to keep reality at arms' length.

16. Eddy Ito

"Consumers"

Defined as what? Defined as "monkeys who answered our poll". It's well known that cell/mobile phone stats are total bullshit. Try this one on for size; ~303 million cell phones in the US for a population of ~311 million people = ~97% of the US population has cell phones... or so they tell us. What don't they say? How about ~20% of the population is age 14 or under... or perhaps that it's fairly equally divided on a per year basis in that range? That would mean that roughly 3% of the population was aged 2 years or younger. So what? Well one of two things is true... extrapolating their 97% would mean that every single person over the age of 2 years had a cell phone -OR- they have smoked enough pipe dreams for every person over the age of 2.

I'm sure I've said it before, most folks are going to carry two phones; one "smart" phone and one simple phone for voice calls. Hell, why wouldn't they when so many businesses are willing to throw one more "smart" phone tax write-off to their troops.

17. JeffyPooh
    Joke

Where's my iPhone 4GS?

I'm all confused. I don't want an iPhone 5; I want a 4GS.

18. Dana W
    Coat

I know.

I know the "estimated" spec and the price.

I looked at HTC. It has its merits, and I'd like to try one sometime. They seem to cost about the same $199 for a comparable model. But if they want to sell me one, they need to start licensing with Apple for iTunes synch.

Right now I need to play a $50 Android tax to buy the "Missing Synch" so an Android can talk to my Mac. Even Blackberry has Mac support! When Android does not require me to ether use Google synch or a spendy "luxury tax" app fee to simply back up my contacts and calendar I'll consider it again. Maybe next time its time for me to upgrade they will be less concerned with what OS they want to force me to use.

As it stands now, the Android costs me MORE, and the warranty and hardware service are far worse.

Mine is the one with the money SAVING iPhone in the pocket,

1. frank ly
      Coat

What is this limited and expensive world in which you live?

My contacts and calendar (more than one, with different names and colours) are stored in a google flavoured cloud. If I get a new phone, I'll have them all within a few minutes of setting up.

If I wanted to, I could sync one displayed calendar to a PC based one but I see no need for that since my PC based Lightning/(Thunderbird) calendar will store any number of local calendars for me and I can then convert local storage calendar events to Googly cloud calendar events as I require.

My music is stored on my home NAS device (which has an FTP server) so I can transfer music files to my Android phone using the Android FTP client. If I wanted world-wide access at reasonable speed, I could transfer some music files to a web-hosting facility and use the Android FTP client to download them from there, (but that would be silly since I have a removable 8GB SD card in the phone).

All the 'apps' to do this on the phone and on my PC were free. Give it a try :)

Mine's the one with the money saving, inexpensive and very capable phone in the pocket.

2. Paul M 1

Strange

Many iPhone users (myself included) would pay the $50 to be able to *not* use iTunes....

3. Tegne
      Gimp

Tied into Apple much?

Wait until everything you do is stored on their icloud and then try changing to a diferent supplier in the future.

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"luxury tax"

Android "backs up" your calendars/contacts/email to a <what have you> for free - it's called a Google account.

It's your choice not to use it and then complain about paying for an alternative if you did, wtf?

Pays your money and takes your choice; IMO buying an Android handset and not using Google integration is like buying a Mac just to run Windows 7 in Parallels, wait...

1. Dana W
        Stop

I'll keep my data thanks.

Pardon me if I choose not to trust a Gigantic marketing company with my personal life.

If Apple starts trying to cloud store my phone's info, I won't buy an iPhone either.

5. James Hughes 1

Hi Dana W

You are already an Apple user, so the iPhone is undoubtedly the best choice for you. You have already paid up front for all the 'taxable' items to which you refer with the higher cost of the Mac and the iPhone.

For those who don't need iTunes sync and don't have a Mac, perhaps Android is the better and cheaper choice?

And don't blame Android itself for the warranty and HW service - that is the responsibility of the phone manufacturer, not Android; in your case I suspect HTC is the target you are looking for.

6. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

I want to live in your universe

You know, the one where iPhones cost less than $250.

1. Dana W
        Happy

Its called the US.

My new IPhone will be $199.

And it still has unlimited Data.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Its called the US.

Ah, so we can assume that $199 is with the $20-30 per month for 24 month contract "tax". Then again, it's likely the iPhone carriers don't have "low rent" plans that don't include a new phone every other year. But hey, it's cheaper up front anyway.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

most people will not buy iphone 5

any one that wants an iphone has an iphone and are locked into a 2 year contract,if you want a phone cheap you have to sign up for 2 year contract,4g if the iphone does not bring out 4g it will

be well behind other phone makers,no one will buy last years technology.prepaid is the only growing section,prepaid cant pay 500 dollars for an iphone that cost 175 dollars to make or less,other phone makers are dropping prices most companies will offer free phones for 2 year contract,theres a glut of phones and prices are dropping

20. Christian Berger

What's the use

What's the use of a mobile device you cannot rsync your data onto while charging? I don't want to have to use some special non-scriptable voodoo software and manually sync everything.

21. regprentice
    Facepalm

I know ?

Android to licence iTunes ?

Jesus that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. I've just given up a 3GS and the main reason was how fucking frustrating iTunes is to use ! Bring back drag and drop!

Also I think that android bs iPhone is a slightly diffrrnt consumer proposition in the uk, I'm waiting for a galaxy s 2 and I didn't pay a penny for it over my tariff, which was significantly cheaper than the iPhone equivalent (28 quid vs 40 a month )

22. Atonnis
    Stop

Questionnaires...

...can be faulty.

We asked 100 people we met carrying an Apple product to the checkouts with their iPhone 4 in their pocket whether they'd buy an iPhone 5...and 51% said yes!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd like an iPhone 5.....

....but I just know I'd be disappointed with the hardware within 5 minutes of picking it up. While I do like iOS, I can't justify paying the same or more for a handset which I know will be inferior - technology-wise - to other models available.

The iPhone 4 was a MASSIVE disappointment technologically, and you get the feeling that they actually designed it to be less advanced than it could be, simply to give them scope to release another version. Personally I'm edging towards a Galaxy S2, and would almost be willing to bet that it will still be superior to the iPhone 5 when it gets released.

24. HP Cynic

4 to 5

I skimmed it and immediately wrote off the headline as misleading: I saw it as 35% of people with iPhone 4s saying they will get a 5.

It's certainly not going to be 35% of all US Consumers.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

26. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Tosh.

"I'm waiting for a galaxy s 2 and I didn't pay a penny for it over my tariff"

That's tosh - you need to look at the SIM free prices to compare accurately - the Galaxy S 2 is basically the same price as an iPhone 4.

1. regprentice
      Happy

Subsidy

""I'm waiting for a galaxy s 2 and I didn't pay a penny for it over my tariff"

That's tosh - you need to look at the SIM free prices to compare accurately - the Galaxy S 2 is basically the same price as an iPhone 4."

Yes this is true, but I can generally get my carrier to bear significantly more of the up front cost of an android handset than an iPhone. It is quite possible to enter into a decent 1yr contract for a galaxy s2 and pay less for the handset and the years tariff than for the sim free cost of the handset alone had you bought it somewhere like expansys .

With cashback and employee discount through my employer my 24 month contract for a galaxy s 2 works out around £16 a month equivalent, which is even less than the simplicity contract I had my 3GS on.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Really?

"The iPhone 4 was a MASSIVE disappointment technologically"

You mean they released the phone everyone ELSE then tried to beat - the Galaxy S 2 GTI xTreme wotsit may be a good phone but it's also a lot newer and still does not have a screen as good as the iphone 4.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

That's *not* what it says though.

"I saw it as 35% of people with iPhone 4s saying they will get a 5."

That's *not* what it says though.

29. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Fantastic news!

Give a couple of weeks after they come out and I can get a dirt-cheap 3GS off the old international tat-market that is eBay!

30. Spanners Silver badge
    Meh

Not my demographic

When I get a new smartphone when my contract runs out late this year, I want one that is

1. Not an iPhone

2. Not from any company paying blackmail money to Apple or Microsoft

3. Not from Apple

4. Decently priced for its spec

5, Not a fashion accessory for style conscious morons

6. Will connect up to any USB on any O/S as storage without additional software or cost

7. Not under the content and style corporate control of Apple

8. Giving me a large choice of models styles and prices

And so on

My biggest objection to the iPhone is that I do not want to be associated with many of its users who would buy tin cans & string if they had the Apple logo on. These are the people who would tell you right now that they will buy the iPhone 6,7,8,,, without the models actually existing, It is a shame, but there are other reasons as well,

I will decide if I want this application, or that one, on my phone. I pay the money and do not need some bunch of highly paid executives deciding that I d not need a choice between music players or photo management applications.

Option 2 is now starting to rule out some Android manufacturers but blackmail is illegal where I live and that is exactly what patent trolling is with the subtle difference that it is legal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Style + Moron

"I want [a smartphone] that is

5, Not a fashion accessory for style conscious morons

8. Giving me a large choice of models styles and prices

My biggest objection to the iPhone is that I do not want to be associated with many of its users."

You sound like a style-conscious moron to me.

31. unbound

Just goes to show...

...that corporate PR is worth its weight in gold.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Get in quick and sell early

"In related news, Apple's stock price comfortably crossed the $400-per-share threshhold on Tuesday, after bumping into it on Monday for the first time in company history. If sales of the iPhone 5 are anywhere near what PriceGrabber's survey predicts, $400 may seem like a bargain come New Year's Day."

As soon as Job's leaves (apple or the planet - whichever comes first) watch the price fall to the floor quicker than Paris in a video

33. wtherrell

Nope, won't buy an iPhony

If I were given an iPhone (4 or 5), I would sell it on ebay. I like Android far, far better. Not that Apple products are bad. In fact they are usually quite good and very stable but as a consumer, I just don't like the direction the company has taken since Steve Jobs came back. As an investor, I would buy the stock but I just don't like their products any more now that there are cheaper, good, viable, alternatives.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like