back to article IT boss jailed for plundering Scottish library

The technology boss of the National Library of Scotland has been jailed for two years for embezzling money. David Dinham, a 33-year-old Australian, was chief information officer for the library and in charge of a £1.8m budget to digitise the collection. After making a small purchase on his company credit card, Dinham realised …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JakeyC

Baptists?

"Dinham has already paid back £150,000 and is involved with the Baptist Church"

Fair enough, that is quite a harsh sentence. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson once the Baptists sort him out.

2. mdava

Irrelevant content

"Dinham ... is involved with the Baptist Church"

So what? His religion obviously didn't stop him from nicking the cash in the first place, so why should I care whether/where he is praying now?

3. Paul Johnston
    Joke

What did the Baptists do wrong?

How much can he con from them?

4. turnip handler

Credit card spending vesus awarding contracts

The 'I was depressed' defence can surely only cover the personal spending on a credit card, setting up a company and then awarding yourself 10 contracts is not a spur of the moment activity!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Serves him right...

.. for not playing by the book.

"defence claims that he was suffering from depression"

Let me get my very small violin.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

"I was feeling a bit under the weather, can I get off that embezzlement charge now?"

He stole 1/2million. I don't care how depressed he is, and for once the judge agrees with me. Unlike that stalking case.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Shame they didn't use the background check information...

If they knew he was Australian, why did they hire him?

8. Sampler

Well to be fair

If I got caught and were looking at that kind of sentence plus forfeiture I think I'd be more than a little depressed too..

9. Red Bren
    Unhappy

Depression

I'm not surprised. I'd be depressed if I was facing gaol time.

10. The Dark Lord

Not all of the story

And what became of the people who didn't check this man's work? An organisational structure that puts the keys to the cash register in a man's pocket and then turns away is at least as much to blame as the man who fails to withstand the temptation.

Meanwhile, doubtless, some clerk is having their £10 bill for office supplies mercilessly scrutinised.

1. Bassey

Re: Not all the story

"An organisational structure that puts the keys to the cash register in a man's pocket and then turns away is at least as much to blame as the man who fails to withstand the temptation."

If I leave my front door unlocked am I "at least as much to blame" as the burglar that nicks my stuff? For the love of Newton, what kind of a fucked up prick thinks you are as guilty as a criminal for trusting someone who then steals from you? Presumably the same sticking piles of shite who think women are "at least as much to blame" for being raped if they wear a short skirt?

11. Peter Clarke 1
    Holmes

Payback

Anybody clever enough to work out how much interest he would have earned with his ill gotten gains over time?

12. Anonymous Hero
    Coat

I wonder if....

...they threw the book at him.

13. Fehu
    Terminator

Shows contrition, perhaps?

But, I went to a Baptist church in the American south for a while in the 60's ( I was very young) until they told me I needed to find another church because I asked too many questions. Kind of answered my questions for me. Now I know all organized religion is a scam. Maybe that's why so many crooks run to it once they're found out.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Depression?

Depression does not drive you to commit big-ticket fraud. I can see some argument for it 'making' this bloke buy stuff on the company credit card (not a very good argument, it must be said). But for putting 10 (ten) contracts his company's way? Nope. There's a difference between 'buying yourself a treat on the company's dime because you think they owe you' and 'channeling money straight into your own pocket'. Although £260,000 is an awful lot to try and justify as 'treats'.

As someone with depression who has (so far) resisted the temptation to embezzle a six-figure sum and/or commit any other major crime while using my mental illness as an excuse, these kind of pleas in mitigation piss me off. When a common mental illness is constantly used as an excuse for the commission of a crime, it runs the risk of damning everyone with that illness.

15. Mr_Bungle
    Coat

The perp was Australian....

True* story from my experience at Australian customs. After displaying my Passport I was asked some testing questions.

Customs Officer - "Do you have a criminal record?"

Mr Bungle - "No, I didn't realise you still needed one to get in"

*Disclamer - may or may not be true.

16. Graham Bartlett

@Bassey

"If I leave my front door unlocked am I "at least as much to blame" as the burglar that nicks my stuff?"

In the insurance company's eyes, I'm very much afraid you might be. Look up "contributory negligence".

If you're a professionally-run organisation, you never, NEVER put one single person in charge of ANYTHING without there being someone else who knows what's going on. If nothing else, it ensures you have someone as a backup in case that single person gets sick, goes on holiday or quits.

And you do audits. You can reasonably expect to find minor stuff wrong or misfiled, or the process misunderstood. People are human, and saying "just do your job" is not much use when it comes down to interpretation of several squillion pages of rules. And when it comes to finances, there are VERY strict rules about what you can and can't do, which if you fail to follow them will put your organisation in a very nasty position with the tax authorities, unions or a disaffected employee. This is a serious balls-up by the finance department.

"At least as much to blame" is certainly going too far. But a company has to recognise that no-one knows their employees well enough to give them absolute trust. Suppose an electrician told you "I'll do this work for you if you'll just give me complete access to your bank account" - would you be stupid enough to do it? Because that's precisely what this bunch of muppets effectively did.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

With quarter of a mil

...I wouldn't be depressed!

1. Havin_it
      Coat

Higher

Half a million, between the direct embezzlement and the self-awarded contracts.

But I guess he was a "the million is half-empty" kinda guy...

18. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Has to be asked.

Did they call him "Dingo" Dinham?

Only dingos are know to scavenge things that aren't theirs. Rabbits, small children etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like