back to article Philips BDP7600 Blu-ray player with Net TV

Sidestepping the cheap black plastic approach of even some mid market Blu-ray Disc players, the BDP7600 from Philips has a robust metallic build. Its smooth and quiet disc tray emerges from a mirrored front panel, which is otherwise interrupted only by a USB port to the right. Beneath the fascia is a curved control strip with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hardcastle the ancient

Oh look

no scart?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

No Scart?

Why would you want Blu-ray and watch it through shitty scart?

2. tath

PS3

I'd be quite interested in BD player reviews to know how they stack up against just using my PS3 (which now costs the same as this)? Is there much benefit to be had from a standalone player?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Power usage?

I'd wager the power usage is significantly lower, if all you want to do is play Blu-rays...

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

PS3

PS3 is still a very good player.

There's cons, however

- A new standalone unit benefits may have a somewhat shorter loading times

- A dedicated remote control is better than the PS3 game controller. (to me at least)

- PS3 doesn't support MKV/ISO files (amongst other file/codec formats)

- Curved design - not very stackable

- Bluray playback uses 70-170 Watts power depending on model (the Philips in the review takes 15W)

- Region locked

PS3 has one serious advantage the standalone players don't have and that is the firmware support. Even the first models from 2006 are supported and the firmware has for instance brought 3D BD support and whatnot. The latest update was just a month ago.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

eltiT - get's boring doesn't it?

Hmmm. I don't think I've actually even seen a Blu-whatever disk yet. Am I missing something important?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3

The big problem with the PS3 (or at least my particular example) is that the cooling fans are quite noisy and very noticeable when watching anything other than your typical Hollywood blockbuster. If you are not interested in gaming then a dedicated player is probably your best bet.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No ISO ???????

Best feature of my little Cyclone media player is it'll pick up an ISO directory, and play it like a disc.

Hope there's a firmware update for this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like