back to article Go Daddy spokes-totty: I'm on the elephants' side

Celebrity Go Daddy spokesmodel Jillian Michaels has led a protest against circuses' unethical treatment of elephants, just a few months after company chairman Bob Parsons came under fire for shooting one dead while on holiday. Fitness trainer Michaels attended a demo against the Ringling Brothers' Circus outside the Los …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sabroni Silver badge

cruelty can be worse than killing

Killing animals to eat isn't something I'd do, but I appreciate that a lot of people consider it acceptable. Looks like the circus elephants face a lifetime of cruelty. There's no excuse for torturing an animal to make it perform tricks. What a bunch of cunts.

1. GeorgeTuk

+1

I am veggie but respect everyone else's right to eat within reason what they want but cruelty is never acceptable.

Seems strange to eat elephant though are they not protected anymore?

1. Sam P

George Tuk

Many of the wildlife preserves in Africa have an abundance of Elephants now,

often infringing on local village crops and settlements. Every now and then they organize a small cull similar to the deers cull in the UK. Basically the small preserves can only support X pachyderms.

However instead of just having some nameless hunter to do this they charge wealthy people an OBSCENE amount of money to shoot one. this money is reinvested in the local area and the local villagers can be fed off the carcass for months.

whether or not you agree with the killing, at least the money is redistributed to poor areas and the meat is eaten.

after all it seems strange to eat horses, but loads of countries do that as well!

2. Thomas 4

"organised by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals."

And with one simple sentence, the scant credibility this counter PR exercise had vanishes faster than a cow at an Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"People Eating Tasty Animals"

"For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat three"

"Save a carrot, eat a vegetarian"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

electrocution

Didn't see any elephants electrocuted at the link.

1. Aaron Em

OMG free the elephants!!1!

I wonder if those damned supermodels have any understanding of the fact that, just as with domesticated humans (i.e., you & me) offered freedom (i.e., root hog or die), the first damn thing those elephants will do if they are actually freed is run straight the hell back into their cages.

Of course then PETA will probably put out a statement decrying the elephants themselves for having succumbed to internal colonialism, or some other fucking stupid thing that'll get 'em a couple of column inches.

1. Allan George Dyer
        FAIL

Stockholm syndrome in elephants?

Firstly, you're guessing what those elephants would do, if freed, so your argument is weak.

Secondly, your argument appears to be that it is OK to torture animals if they don't run when the door is opened, which is abhorrent.

Thirdly, you make up a straw-man argument for the target of your rant, admitting that it is as stupid as it's creator.

Your eloquence has convinced me to side with the spokes-totty.

2. Dog Faced Boy

@AC

There was a few pics with trainers holding electric cattle prods against the skin of the elephant, no discharge of electric could be seen though, but if they have the tools, they are intending to use them

1. The Indomitable Gall

@Dog Faced Boy

I'm pretty sure the anonymous coward was being pedantic. Electrocution was originally a portmanteau of "execution" and "electricity" and means killing by electricity, which isn't an effect way to train circus animals....

This topic is closed for new posts.