back to article Superman beats up cybersquatter

DC Comics has grabbed the cybersquatted domain name manofsteel.com, just a month before shooting is due to start on the next reboot of the Superman movie franchise. CYBERSQUATTERVSSUPERMAN3 The next Superman film is widely expected to be titled or subtitled Man Of Steel. DC has owned a trademark on "Man Of Steel" since 1999 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maggie

I went to www.ironmaiden.com and was appaled to find out that it has nothing to do with Thatcher: she should sue and seize this website from these cybersquatters.

2. Lamont Cranston

Another reboot?

Oh, goody. Lucky my kids attention span is sufficiently short that they've probably forgotten what happened in Superman Returns.

Still not sure how I'm going to explain why Johnny Storm is Captain America, though.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

What's with the frog in the pic?

Since this is a film thing, is Superman now to start chastising perps for picking their feet in Poughkeepsie?

4. Real Ale is Best
    Thumb Down

*sigh*

There are so many other good stories crying out to be turned into films. Why go over the old ground yet again?

5. Dave Bell

Reboots are normal

The back-stories for comic-book heroes, such as Superman, have been changed an incredible number of times. This movie instance is a little bit unusual for the time since the last movie, but look at the TV shows which have been around.

Compared to what goes on in that business, Doctor Who has been remarkably subtle. The reboot has become a part of the setting, ever since the Doctor first regenerated.

6. PaddyO
    WTF?

"Poorly received"?

Not a *huge* fan of the last reboot, but at 72% on Rotten Tomatoes, that ain't half bad.

Especially with some of the new

I think it's more to do with the "poor" box office return of only $391 million, not including any home release sales.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Really? a remake

Are there any real scriptwriters out there?

like in the music industry, remake after remake, rehash and squeeze a few more beer vouchers from an ailing plot

The joke in AirplaneII the sequel, the film poster "Rocky 2034" doesnt seem like such a joke now

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Rotten Tomatoes" is Rotten

The review scores on this site are a very poor indication of the quality of a film.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Superman Returns was so bad

I was hoping that he dies in the film.

1. yoinkster
      Thumb Up

completely agree

Superman Returns, along with Spiderman 2, ranks up there with some of the absolute worst films I've ever had to sit through. There is no doubt in my mind that this reboot will be atrocious and best left well alone.

And I've watched classics like Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus and Gatoroid!

10. JimC

but what about

womanofkleenex.com?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What bothers me about superhero movies...

Is how they're all origin stories.

Especially for well known heroes like Superman and Batman - the basics of their origins has remained unchanged, and most people are at least vaguely familliar with the characters.

As far as lesser known heroes are concerned, people are at least familliar with the concept of superheroes - 10-15 minutes at the start of the film to explain the bare bones of the back story, then right into the action please. We don't need another 'Reluctant hero learns to use powers/comes of age/accepts responsibility' story.

1. Lamont Cranston

I suppose the obsession with origin stories

is an effort to make the films feel believable.

I've been watching a lot of cartoons, lately, and the old Spider-Man (not, not the Bakshi-era ones!) and the new Avengers are a million times more satisfying than any of the films, precisely because there's very little attempt at keeping things believable (or within the budget of a film!).

That said, I was left wanting more Bruce Wayne, and less Batman, in The Dark Knight. :¬/

12. Jess

Spiderman 2 bad?

It is one of the best superhero films I've seen, certainly the best at the time

Spiderman 3 was garbage.

13. Ian Michael Gumby
    Trollface

What about Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex?

This was a short story by Larry Niven talking about the downside to Superman's powers.

(Something that was alluded to in Will Smith's role as a super hero.)

Would DC Comics go after him?

14. Keep Refrigerated
    Alien

The problem with Superman on film...

...has always been a lack of creativity and balls.

When Superman Returns was rumoured I desperately hoped we'd get to see one of Supermans many, non-human, non-mainstream enemies make an appearance (as they did with Spiderman 3 - say what you want they had balls to include Venom, when most people didn't know who or what... alien symbiote?!)

Instead they plopped for good old, safe Lex Luthor and a substandard generic 'Lex Luther tries to make lots of money and kill Superman in the process' plot. It's not original - Gene Hackman did a much better job of it and it's just lazy.

Let's have Bizarro, Darkseid, Doomsday, Braniac, Parasite, Metallo, Ultraman, General Lane, Toyman, Lobo, Mongul, Parasite, Preus, Riot... even Mr Mxyzptlk would be a ridiculous but welcome change!

If they have Lex Luthor as the sole, main baddie in this one I won't be expecting anything new or worth visiting the cinema for. If they had a different enemie with Lex Luther in a smaller subplot - or even Superman having to team with Lex to defeat it - then you'd have an interesting storyline and one I'd definitely be interested in.

1. The Indomitable Gall

The REAL problem with Superman on film....

Superman is a dinosaur, a relic of a more innocent age. He's a messiah in a cape and silly tights, a Big Brother Is Good figure who absolves us of responsibility for our own actions. His continued success is down to the same self-sustaining celebrity that sees talentless nobodies like the Kardashians able to generate such huge amounts of cash.

Film writing is a discipline that relies on tightly crafted stories, and Superman just doesn't give much leeway for good stories (at least, not on Earth, but Superman-in-space only works in the comics because you already know Superman from Earth, and cinema-goers would need a decent Earth-bound story or two to generate context). Alternatively, you could just commision Michael Bay and replace the plot with high-speed 3D combat/chase sequences. Superman racing against a pyroclastic flow to save a family of 4, in full 3D? After he saves the family, he could fly on, but the camera could stop and get engulfed in a cloud of flying rocks. That might confuse the audience long enough that they don't realise there's no plot until the Bluray version comes out....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trademarks

Technically speaking. US Patent and trademark laws require you to defend your tradmarks, or you forfet the rights to them.

There are people in the business of buying and selling domains, just like realestate. Taking it away is like taking somebodys property away and giving it to somebody else, without any consideration for their investment.

They should have challanged the domain holder back around 2001. Ten years is a long time, and I'm sorry, but that person should take the domain back by force. Legally, it is his.

16. Nights_are_Long
    Mushroom

Rember mallrats!

T.S. Quint: But they're engaged.

Brodie: Doesn't matter, can't happen.

T.S. Quint: Why not? It's bound to come up.

Brodie: It's impossible! Lois Lane could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle his sperm? I guarantee you that when he comes during sex, he probally blows a load like a shotgun blast... right through her back. And if by chance Lois does get pregnent, what about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry his child?

T.S. Quint: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan, the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like