back to article Ghost of 'ACS:Law' threatens alleged Greek filesharers

Controversial law firm ACS:Law – or someone posing as the firm – has returned with threats to sue alleged filesharers, this time outside the UK. Andrew Crossley, the sole principal behind ACS:Law, was declared bankrupt back in May. The bankruptcy filing occurred shortly after a UK case against alleged filesharers who had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We have advised clients that we may be dealing with an imposter

As opposed to the genuine honest ACS:Law?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Imposter..

I bet it's not, he's obviously trying to avoid UK regulators by doing it abroad,

3. Nigel Brown

Dearest (alleged) pirate

Please to be forwarding a processing fee in advance of your fine to our Lagos office by Western Union.........

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Greece...

The email messages claim that the recipient has infringed copyright of DigiProtect Ltd and request payment of £1,665 – payable to ACS:Law – to prevent a threatened court action under the UK Copyrights, Design and Patents Act. The address for payment is adjacent to ACS:Law's former London offices.

Last time I checked, Greece isn't in the UK so the UK law they are using doesn't apply.... Some EU law does though

5. envmod

can somebody explain to me

why Andrew Crossley isn't in jail?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Because

Because he's a lawyer and the whole industry is run as an old boys club.

6. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Hello

Dear Sir,

I decided to write to you because you a honest person and one with integrity. I am sole proprietor Andrew Crossley and I was fighting internet pirates to protect Britain singers and movie stars but pirates still won and made my company bankrupt.

I managed to stash away a fortune of GBP 20,000,000.00 to which pirates never found. I now need to move this money to a new reliable bank account. I chose you, good Sir, as my contacts indicated you honest and good person and I will give to you 40% of the lumpsum and another 10% to charity which you like.

Please send me now your legalised authenticated letter by secure electronic transmission with your bank account number, IBAN, name and phone of your bank manager, your name and full authenticated living address, your date of birth, your mother maiden name and your dog name.

Your sincerely,

Mr Andrew Crossley

Sole proprietor

7. mark 63 Silver badge
    Coat

Voluntary Fines

This gives me an idea

If I can spam enough people with threats of prosecution against a crime they've maybe commited, and they decide to pay up I could make a bundle! and if they decicded to pay up then they musta done it - justice served , everyones a winner

things like -

We saw you littering (sent from the "Cleaner Britain Institute")

We saw you speeding (from the 'safer road institute')

and ,er , other stuff

1. Mike123456

Wasn't that...

ACS:Law's Modus operandi?

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Coat

mo

yeah it was, I was just considering what other markets I could take it to.

I've got another

"Dear car owner , we saw you driving , please forward the appropriate number of carbon tax credits at 4p/mile to us at the 'Foundation for carbon neutrality'"

8. Steve Brooks

Why!? Oh the Humanity!!!

"The email messages claim that the recipient has infringed copyright of DigiProtect Ltd and request payment of £1,665"

What I can't figure out is, why Greece? Surely since the Greek debt crisis that amount of money is about equal to the entire Greek economy, surely they would have been better off sending the demands to a more robust economy like the USA...ah yes, 14 trillion debt..Ireland...oops junk status, Spai...ok, fair enough, Greece it is!

9. irish donkey
    Megaphone

We saw you illegally parking

Oh yes that's right. This scam already runs in this country

Private Parking Tickets are worthless - Throw them in the bin and do not send them any money.

These include EuroParks, LPS and any other Private Parking Company you care to mention

On a brighter note. If you have ignored them before and you get another ticket they won't bother you because they know you're not a sucker.

10. irish donkey
    Happy

maybe Crossley should sue

I have never seen a more blatant case of Copyright infringement in my life!

1. Ted Treen
      Coffee/keyboard

Please...

...don't post comments like this at lunchtime.

Have you any idea how long it takes to clean tuna mayo off your screen & its environs?

11. seanj
    Facepalm

Story update...

From the BBC:

"Andrew Crossley told the BBC that e-mails sent out in the name of ACS:Law were a scam and nothing to do with him."

Now, which emails is he talking about? The recent ones, or the original ones? Perhaps he's trying the Murdoch approach - "yeah, people were apparently extorting money with threats in my name, but I didn't know about any of it...."

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Already done

@mark 63, they already do that north of me (Cedar Rapids, IA). The city let a private company install a few speed cameras. Caught speeding? This private company sends you a photo and a request for a payment. Penalty for non-payment? Absolutely none, no points, nothing on your driving record, since they are nothing but a private company claiming you owe them money. I'm sure *if* they try to show it on your credit record, you can get it cleared since you never requested any goods or services from them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like