back to article X-COM UFO: Enemy Unknown

1994 could never be called a dull year but after packing away my ailing Mega Drive and putting on my finest stripy jumper for Kurt Cobain’s funeral, I needed to be diverted by a great game. Quite fittingly UFO: Enemy Unknown aka X-COM came along just as OJ’s white Bronco was trying for orbit. X-COM UFO: Enemy Unknown UFO: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tony
    Happy

Great Game,

Remember losing sleep over playing the first one, the second not so much as it really was just a reskin but enjoyable enough.

The 'remake' looks a bit crap though.

2. Iainn
    Thumb Up

(untitled)

If only games were this difficult these days. I can't actually remember completing this game, but I do remember how bloody hard it was. Terror From The Deep was also good too, but didn't really add much.

And don't know why it wasn't mentioned, but you can relive the X-Com games through Steam for only £2.99 a pop, or £8.99 for the pack.

1. Gerhard Mack

if only

That is why I have given up on the newer generation of games entirely and just buy old games and play them in DosBox. Hours of fun, cheaper and better game play.

2. Tim Starling
      Thumb Up

Difficult

It became fairly easy after I played it a million times, some of those times being quite recently. I loved it anyway. The secret was to sell almost everything that you recovered from the ground missions, plus a lot of your starting stocks as well. Go straight for heavy plasma, hire 50 soldiers and immediately sack all but the best shooters, then you're ready to kick some alien arse.

3. ThomH

Is it usable outside of Windows?

The Steam system requirements list Windows 2000/XP/Vista but also "Sound Cards Supported: AdLib compatible cards, SoundBlaster compatible cards and the Roland LAPC-1". So does it come in a form where I could transfer it to DosBox on another platform?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Title

Why, yes it does : http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/

4. Alex C
      Facepalm

Thanks for that

Didn't get to be till 2 last night...

3. I'm not sleeping...
    Alien

Two words

Legen...dary!

4. Mr Brush
    Angel

A true classic

I lost so many hours hunting around crash sites looking for the last alien, they were always very good at hiding.

Other highlights were the flying missle tank (urban crash site missions are much easier when you can fly up the outside of buildings) and the hardcore Mars Attacks type alien in the purple cloak who used mind control to wipe out your entire squad in one turn *grrr*.

The underwater sequel never really clicked for me, but the German remake that was around a couple of years ago was a good attempt, shame about the dodgy camera angles.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

<3

I have been known to fire up a dosbox for a blast every now and again..This game is/was great! BUT Why is it still not available on Android pads/mobiles?

What no reg rating? surely this game gets an reg rating of 80-85%.... (personally I d give it a 90%)

6. Ronin
    Happy

I loved this series

This XCOM games were brilliant, from a time when gameplay mattered more than graphics.

My favourite tactic late on in the game was to send out hover tanks to recce the alien crash sites. Then using my psionic troopers to make the aliens drop their weapons and then walk them back to my ship where I would line them up and execute them.

Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics were also fantastic.

1. Jad
      Thumb Up

Psionics

My favourite use of psionics was to scout for other aliens (out of sight) and control them as well so that my Men/Women never had to go anywhere and I could get the aliens to bitch-slap themselves :)

I loved the guideable rocket hovertanks though ... useful with big ships and men with jet-packs.

send the jetpacks to the roof of the big ship, get one man to open the door at the bottom and walk away, a man into the lift shaft to open the door at the top, then leave the ship then rocket grenade from a safe distance into the lift shaft, up to the top, along the open corridor and into the roof/far wall near to my hovering men ... men fly in through the new doorway and waste/capture anyone in that room ...

so many wasted days of my life :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Why not just create your own door?

A pair of troopers carrying blaster bombs - one guided blaster bomb in the side of the alien battleship, and one in the top, then you've got two breaches to launch your assault.

I played this through only a few months ago. Epic, epic game. Apart from Pharaoh and Settlers, I don't think any other game ate up more time. I'm still playing Pharaoh, in fact.

1. Paul RND*1000

Make a skylight

Guided blaster bomb to make a hole in the roof of the bigger UFOs, followed by a few more of the same in through the hole, then troops in hover armor go in and clean up.

Fantastic stuff. I need to restart the game of this I'd been playing in DOSbox a year or two ago.

7. Maksim Rukov
    Thumb Up

Not enough time units!

Antique Code Show? How have I managed to miss such a good feature until now?

There are, of course, many X-COM remakes that aren't shooters. They're all indie though. The name around the playground for the most promising such remake is "Xenonauts".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heh

I loved this one, but I also really liked apocalypse. Terror from the deep had potential but the crab men were too hard to kill. From the third on it was downhill all the way.

1. Chris Pollard
      Alien

Apocalypse

was probably my favourite. Have completed it several times..... earlier this year being the latest. They don't make em like they used to.

9. Karnka
    Thumb Up

Damn you

DOT and now this. Are you trying to convince me to waste all of my spare time.

Someone mentioned this game was tough. I did finish it eventually but Terror from the Deep was much harder.

10. Mark C Casey

Memories

I remember playing this and after completing it cheating my way to high heaven with my Action Replay mk3 on the Amiga.

Sabre Team was also a good turn based strategy game.

11. Debe
    Happy

Yay X-COM!

Good times playing X-COM.

Happy times, like reducing an entire city block to smouldering ruins to root out one of those horrible superfast parasite buggers.

And sad times… like having my entire team fire rockets and machine guns into a barn for 6 turns to kill one Sectoid, and failing. I then screamed abuse at my team for failing to hit the broadside of a barn… the fact of the matter is they could hit the barn, evidenced by the fact it had a great many holes in its walls… as well as that it was on fire. They just couldn’t hit the part the nasty little alien was hiding behind.

Insult was added to property damage when the little sod strode out into the open took a long shot at my best agent who was hiding behind a large stone wall and clocked him dead, then proceeded to survive everything I threw at him for another turn before falling unconscious from smoke inhalation.

*sniff* they don’t make games like that anymore.

12. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

I don't know which is the sadder...

My fondly remembering SHADO or X-COM...

13. lawndart

says:

An absolute classic. The only issue I found, rectified with Terror From The Deep, was the fairly obvious research path.

When I was taking the fight back to Mars I was distressed to find one of the map tile files on the floppy disk was corrupted and made further progress impossible as I couldn't navigate around the flashing blobbyness where they appeared on the map. I had to hack about in a clean tile and make my own replacement. This replacement tile may have been a little more XCOM friendly than the original, especially as I made it a simple straight corridor too narrow for the aliens' hovers to negotiate.

14. Shao
    Thumb Up

Best game ever.

Loved this game. Loved the eeriness feeling.

If you want this game, good to get it on Good Old Games (gog) or Steam.

They sort out the DosBox issues, bugs, performance etc.

15. Rich 11
    Thumb Up

Turning point

XCOM was the first game I can remember seeing adverts for on bus shelters, etc. Before it, computer games adverts were pretty much confined to games shop windows and hobbyist magazines.

16. Len Goddard

Superb

One of my all time favourites, although very difficult to finish at the higher difficulty settings. TftD was also fun but became a bit of a slog after a while because the bases were just so big. A friend of mine, Scott Jones, produced a series of patches mainly aimed at making it even more difficult but I do remember one of them allowed you to play the aliens.

17. Sooty

A fine example

of a great game and series, completely ruined by the publishers being morons.

A series of mediocre sequels, shoehorned into more mainstream formats, died a death and so the publishers buried it. They wouldn't even let the creator/s have the rights to it back.

I keep hoping that it gets properly ressurrected in the form of Rebelstar or Lasersquad, but i have a feeling Hasbro own some of those rights as well.

18. Tony Barnes
    Thumb Up

Best. Game. Ever.

Honestly, nothing else has come close to this for me - remember firing the demo up on my dads work laptop as a kid, and getting giddy as hell! The only thing that bugged me was that they dropped the laser effect (it sort of blew out a load of pixels on a hit) from the full game, shoulda stayed.

Agree - android version would be immense, though possibly end up with me getting the sack for never working...

19. Steve Crook

One of the greats

I loved and hated this game. It was incredibly hard to get into, but the satisfaction in finishing it...

XCom Apocalypse was an improvement, and the fun I had in having my agents take control of an alien, teleport in, steal his weapons, give him a primed grenade and teleport back out. Oh joy oh bliss.

Other than the Jagged Alliance games, I've seen nothing else that comes even close.

20. Gadget Rage is BAD
    Thumb Up

Surely..

this is crying out for an iPad release??? It'd be epic. Don't change a thing except perhaps update the graphics a bit and make it a "little" easier?? I remember the tension of sending my team into a site, creeping around hunting down those damn aliens but as with others remember I didn't get close to finishing it as it was to flippin hard!!

21. RockBurner
    Alien

Used to love this game...

There was a very good port to WinMo6 as well - kept me occupied on train journeys for quite a while, and was surprisingly touch-screen friendly.

Anyone know if there's an Android port, or anything similar?

22. Scott Green
    Pint

Still on my shelf

Have both Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep (both PS1), and both played regularly even now; completed EU but could never complete TFTD -still trying and although the graphics look dated, still more than acceptable on my HDTV thro the PS3. Who'd have thunk: gameplay beating shiny graphix

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

TFTD

I was just too young for enemy unknown, but I remember seeing the review and getting the demo of TFTD in PC Format (I still have that issue of the mag in the loft somewhere) and salivating over it for months before I could afford to buy the game. I must have played the demo hundreds of times.

I never completed the damn thing until about 2 years ago though, got it loaded up in DosBox and had a great time. It's pretty difficult, although I learned recently that there are a few bugs in the research tree which can catch you out and make it impossible to finish the game, thus adding to the frustration! They may have been patched now, officially or unofficially.

Definitely still one of my all-time favourites though, and when I've finished Settlers 3 I might dig it out again...

23. Danny Roberts 1

Excellent game...

Anyone else make the mistake of renaming your soldiers, becoming quite attached to them and getting very upset if they died. I seem to remember if you killed the PC quickly enough after your best guy was shot, it wouldn't save and you could restart the mission!

I'm off to book a couple of days leave and fire up Steam! :-)

24. Zebidee
    Alien

Lobster men - terror from the deep

Two words......

Thermal Lance.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

gameplay trumps graphics

Yes a total classic, absorbing to say the least. The FPS remake actually loses the main atrraction of XCOM which is the tactics of deploying troops.

You can capture a taste of the old days with UFO:AI http://ufoai.ninex.info

26. phuzz Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

XCom Util

Don't forget XCOM Util (http://sites.google.com/site/stjones/xcomutil), which allows you to tweak various parts of the game to make it easier or harder*.

*(if you're a loony)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

X-com's 8-bit precursors...

Fans of the X-com series might want to check out the turn based strategy games written for the 8-bit machines by the same team (Julian and Nick Gollop):

Rebelstar (1986):

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0004058

Rebelstar 2 (1988):

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0004061

Laser Squad (1988):

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002813

1. Scott Green
      Thumb Up

Re:X-com's 8-bit precursors..

<--- to Laser Squad, had that on the (shhh don't mention it loudly) Atari ST, and the expansion you could get for it. My ST was then very popular with my mates for some reason.........

2. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

You missed one

Well, two actually - Chaos and its sequel, Lords of Chaos. LoC was if anything even better than Laser Squad: you were able to choose the units for your side on the fly and also use a variety of powerful direct attacks and board changing effects, but the more units you had, the less power you had left to use combat spells.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: You missed one

Actually, I left Chaos and Lords of Chaos out because they weren't 'space-based'. ;)

The PC 'sequel' to those was 'Magic and Mayhem': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_and_Mayhem

All bloody good games.

1. Sooty

Re: Re: You missed one

You missed out rebelstar raiders, that was space based :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: You missed one

Er... I left it out 'cos it was two-player only. ;)

3. Jim 59

Rebelstar on Amstrad

What a game. Didn't know until today that it is part of a class of games called "turn based strategy", which also describes what made it so fascinating.

28. Jolyon

Near perfect.

Bought it again on Steam for pennies the other month, thought I'd breeze through it having finished it when it first came out; was quickly and brutally reminded how sodding difficult it is if you are too gung-ho, particularly in the early stages.

Slap some spiffy new graphics on the top of it and re-release it - would be better than YAFPS.

29. Jonjonz
    Linux

Computer turn based is an Oxymoron

Turn Based anything is just way too geeky for me. You have a bloody computer, this is not a table top. Playing anything turn based on a computer is an oxymoron.

Weeners who grew up playing table top D&D will fall for almost anything turn based.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Ox Moron!

Computer turn based is not an oxymoron. An oxymoron would be things like a non-computing computer, or a deadly game.

The phrase you're looking for is "I'm a twit who can't stand anything that doesn't fit my very narrowly defined idea of entertainment."

30. Grifter

Remakes and tributes

There's an open source game called UFO: Alien Invasion ( http://ufoai.sf.net ) which tries to follow in x-com's footsteps, definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of the original. Play it or contribute to it, or do both.

31. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Thumb Up

Agree: Best. Game. Ever.

Loved this game, lost loads of sleep, even started dreaming it was really happening! (which is not quite as sad as dreaming about rescuing tiny blue Lemmings with green hair)

Never quite got into intercepter and only recently tried giving apocalypse a proper go (not got far yet, just not *quite* the same feeling, maybe I prefer the turn based aspect rather than the real time bit)

Did get very excited for the Xcom Alliance trailer only to get heartbroken when it never made it to release.

Would love even just a variation of the original game with modern graphics (last time I checked out the fan versions they did at the time seem very much only half finished but that was a long time ago now... any get nearly complete? I will look at the links posted above when home)

Yes please to iOS and Andriod versions (iOS first though please! ;-) )

Chuckle at remebering some of the tackics mentiond above and grimiced at remembering situations where best squad members or whole squads wiped out by one difficult alien ( and yes I did often redo a mission from the previous save point when I had learnt the lesson to create save points just before mission start (in case really horrid layout) and just after! (to avoid losing good squad members)

Could be quite slow to build up your defenses if you don't use the Cheat/patcher to increase starting funds..

32. Daren Nestor

Brilliant game

Fondly remember playing this for many hours, and enjoying playing it again when I got it off steam. The first was a brilliant game, if very difficult. Terror from the Deep was actually fiendishly difficult, some of those aliens (the crab people and the things that implanted eggs in your guys no matter what armour they were wearing) were ridiculously overpowered. The sense of achievement from beating a mission was immense.

Apocalypse is very enjoyable too - I'm playing that again, and UFO:Afterlight (on Mars) is actually a really good game as well. Aftermath is shoddy and we don't mention any of the other UFO titles, they didn't happen.

I'd love to see this for Android.

33. Drat

Android Version: xenowar

There is a simple android version called xenowar, it is actually pretty good. It is open source so you can download it for free from the dev website, or better yet, buy it from the marketplace and give the lone developer a little boost.

34. Tieger

awesome game

sadly the latest 'sequel' looks utterly terrible. lets take an excellent tactical turn based squad shooter, with research and development, and rpg bits, and remake it into what looks like a generic FPS (and it doesnt look like its very good even at that). yay.

TFTD was fun, but very much like EU - the research paths were near identical, iirc.

Apoc was pretty good, and i liked how they progressed the storyline, and kept similar gameplay - whilst updating it for a more modern audience.

interceptor... i quite liked interceptor. theres not many flight sims i like, but the combination of a fun storyline, and the R&D stuff, made it pretty much unique as far as i'm aware.

enforcer... i played once, and it was awful.

now, as for the 'spiritual successors'....

ufo: afterlight/aftermath/aftershock.... not bad games tbh, but didnt have the charm of the originals. also fairly buggy and unresponsive iirc.

a few people have mentioned ones above, which i wont comment on as i've not played them.

i have been playing UFO:Extraterrestrials lately (and a sequel is out soonish), which captures a lot of the the essence of the originals, imo. the feeling of being utterly outclassed is certainly there, along with the research and your squad improving (if they last long enough!). controls are a bit iffy, and theres a few bugs, but nothing gamebreaking.

35. CD001

Hmmm

I'm going to reserve judgement on the new game until closer to the time - BUT, I suspect it would have been far better received than it has been thus far if it wasn't called XCOM.

From what I've read about it (which ain't much yet);

* set in 60's America with that whole "Reds under the bed" kind of thing going on liberally applied to create atmosphere.

* created by the Bioshock 2 team.

* alien invasion (where they can disguise as human) and you can pilfer their tech to research and build upon - it's kinda like XCOM but instead of the turn-based strategy game at landing/terror sites it goes into FPS mode ... at least that's the kind of hint I'm getting about it.

It MIGHT be good but it is going to have to be bloody amazing NOT to get slated because they chose to call it XCOM.

I loved the original - actually preferred "Terror From The Deep" just for the Lobstermen - and bought the whole pack from Steam, I did own the first two originally, ran them on a DX2/66 :) Actually, I owned a game called Laser Squad on the Amiga as well, on which the XCOM games are based (IIRC).

1. juice

A DX2-66? You were lucky...

I can't remember what the spec was of the PC I originally saw XCOM running on, but when I finally got hold of it, I played through both EU and TFTD on a 486 DX-33 with 8mb of ram. Which handled things surprisingly well - and in some ways gave me an advantage, as you could figure out how many aliens were left by timing how long the computer's turn took.

(I eventually had to give up on playing TFTD on that machine: it used the same game engine, but with Moore's law having marched on a bit, the developers (the game engine from EU was handed over to an in-house team while the Gollops worked on a more ambitious true sequel) made the levels much bigger and increased the number of aliens, thus increasing the AI-turn time to tea-brewing levels. I returned to it once I'd bought a DX2-50 a few months later. Them were t'days...)

Interestingly, X-com was also available on the Amiga, the CD32 and the Playstation - I've seen the Amiga one running and own both EU and TFTD on the Playstation :)

And there's some nice background history on the series here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-28-the-story-of-x-com-interview

As regards the new game: it'll be interesting to see the new game, but it ain't X-com. Admittedly, if you squint a little at X-com Apocalypse, you can make something of a case for the 1950's setting being "canon", but I'd peg the main influences of XCOM as Dark Skies (alien invasion series, set in the 1960s), X-Files and Men in Black...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fave Turn based game

Such a good game - I remember watching horrified as my fully kitted out marines would get jumped and wiped out so quickly on this;then the last one alive would shoot a doorframe and get slaughtered

Going to have to buy this again I think

37. andy gibson

x-com's 8 bit successors

Believe it or not, UFO Enemy Unknown almost made it to the Spectrum.

During the 1990s when the Iron Curtain had fallen and people were building their own Speccy clones, I ran a PD software library and was once sent the preliminary code and part working bits of a very good Spectrum version.

1. Paul RND*1000
      Thumb Up

Laser Squad on steroids

I don't see any good reason why it couldn't have been implemented in 8 bits, though a tape-based version would have been a PITA to work with.

The turn-based gameplay *was* descended from such Speccy greats as Laser Squad and the Rebelstar series, after all, Julian Gollop had a fine history of these turn-based games long before UFO/X-COM.

38. rossb2
    Thumb Up

this game is EPIC

I remember how addictive this game was, and its turn based nature meant each battle took ages to finish. Being able to research alien technologies and turn them into weapons for your troops gave the game long term appeal. Having a squad of troops that got increased experience and rank as they survived battles was also excellent. I used to love putting down smoke grenades for cover, then having my troops pop out and kill things. I think it would be great if someone did a modern realtime version of this game.

39. Ian Ferguson
    Joke

"the more geeks you have working on something, the quicker it gets done."

Really?! You've never worked in project management, have you? ;)

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have this running on the ipad

I have xcom running on my ipad. In fact it works perfectly, once you get used to not having a mouse. I did this first by jailbreaking my ipad and downloading and install "dospad" which is a full

dosbox implementation for the ipad. Then, after I updated my ipad, without a jailbreak, I was lucky

enough to see dospad get approved by Apple for about half a day (before it was removed) and installed it. It also runs xcom, but not quite as well, that the graphics do not refresh as quickly,

but it still works. The reason is the jb version allows "cpu=dynamic" ins dospad.cfg, but the "apple"

version does not.

In any case, the sound works, too. Just configure a blaster in dospad.cfg but don't fill in any interrupts for it. It will just work.

Also, you need to download a version of xcom that has been patched, so look for 1.44 I think.

This one will work just fine. I think the steam one can too, just load it into dospad as as well.

TFTDvwill work too. It is the same, but I never played it.

I love playing is on the ipad, but I stopped for some time as I found it was too stressful and

addictive having such a nightmare combination of technology in my hands.

Finally there is also isochron, which will be for the ipad and is a complete rewrite.

For all the above, just google "dospad xcom" "isochron ipad" etc.... exercise left to the reader

41. Clive Galway
    Happy

Playing multiplayer Chaos online

There used to be more rewrites around, but the only one I know of that is currently active is this one:

http://www.duelboard.com/old/

It's futuristic instead of wizards, but it's basically the same game.

42. Paul RND*1000
    Pint

Happy Memories!

I have many happy memories of Friday night UFO sessions, 4 of us grouped around an Amiga 1200HD, cheap alcoholic beverages (mmm, Buckfast...) at the ready, the only light in the room coming from the fuzzy portable TV and blazing fire in the hearth.

We'd play multiplayer by each taking a couple of troops, and spend all night playing until we couldn't stay awake, or the sun came up. When one of our longest serving soldiers was killed in action, we were utterly devastated, and swore to destroy the enemy, to avenge his loss.

Oh, we did. We flew to Mars and kicked alien butt. I remember being a little disappointed by how easy that last battle was, but it was probably just because by then we were a well-organized, well-equipped team of veterans, our strategies finely honed and practiced to perfection. How different from those dark, early days when Sectoids invaded our base and the sparsely equipped crew barely held them off at great cost.

43. Neil 8

3DS - Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Got a 3DS? Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a distant relative of XCOM too, created by the same designer.

It's no XCOM really (the strategy / R&D is effectively removed), but the turn-based shooting is good fun & the 3DS graphics quite nice.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the days when games were games...

...and took some intelligence to play.

Would love this on the iPad! Anything out there similar and available under iOS...?

1. Mr Floppy

Simiar but ..

it's not ready yet. It's called Isochron.

You should email MicroProse or Mythos and pester them into making a mobile version

45. Atonnis

One of the Greatest...

One of the Greatest games of all time. UFO: Enemy Unknown had me frustrated in so many ways, but damnit I loved it - especially the UFO battle music. It was nothing much as general music, but back then it had me all het up.

46. a_been
    Gimp

Never finnished the fucker

Had this on the first playstation, fucking great game, up there with Elite, Lords of Midnight, Populus, Civ and SE3

47. sisk

Brings back memories

I spent many an hour playing X-COM in high school and college. I never did beat the blasted thing, but I sure did have a lot of fun trying.

48. John Sanders
    Thumb Up

One of the best games ever

Laser Squad Nemesis is the spiritual sequel (made by the same guy) unfortunately his company went bust.

49. SUMMONER
    Thumb Up

Pocket UFO for Windows Mobile

For those who feel a little nostalgic, there is Pocket UFO for your Windows Mobile.

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html

50. James Micallef Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Awesome!!

I remember having this on Amiga 1200. It took ages to load levels, was pitifully slow between turns and the graphics were nothing great even for the time. And it was awesome! Entirely absorbing and never dull. Every new advance in tech and every new alien species encountered required a different strategic approach, keeping the game fresh all the way through (a bit like the original 'syndicate').

I was suckered to buying a later PC version, Aftermath... it was slicker, faster and more atmospheric, but the gameplay never quite reached the peaks of 'enemy unknown'

Great memories :)

51. jason 7
    Happy

Never played this....

....but loved Syndicate from Bullfrog. Lost the disks years ago.

I do however, still play the classic Master of Orion 2. I love that game dearly.

52. Bongwater
    Alien

Not the best game ever

Damn close though! I played TFTD first before this one but both were tons of fun.

Lobster-men were tough :/

And who didnt hate being mc'd?!!?

53. Helena Handcart
    Alien

Nostalgia

I had the honour of working with Julian and Nick many years ago in my first games developer job. A little-known fact that Julian told me about X-COM was that there was a bug that meant the difficulty level wasn't saved. So if you started it on the hardest level and came back to it later, the difficulty would be set back to easy.

I suspect this was patched eventually, but it did explain how I managed to do so well on it!

1. K.o.R
      Thumb Up

Not officially patched...

...only in unofficial updates. The bug did have a knock-on effect as it wasn't discovered until after TFTD was released. When developing TFTD, one of the common change requests was "X-COM is too easy," (because of the bug, but they didn't know that) so they made TFTD's LOWEST difficulty setting the equivalent of what was X-COM's HIGHEST difficulty and went UP from there.

54. A. Lewis
    Happy

Good stuff!

I can't imagine any other game that could have inspired such an outpouring of nostalgic geek joy in the comments.

I too loved this game, even my five floppy disk amiga version.

55. rurwin
    Thumb Up

Thanks for the memories

Ah the memories. Having my entire squad gathered around a battleship door ready to invade. A mutoid opens the door and is immediately executed, whereupon the alien captain fires a blaster bomb through the open door.

Or the time the stupid pilot landed with an alien exactly astern. One basic grenade was all it took to wipe out the entire team.

I finished it, and yes the final battle was easy, but only because I made the aliens do all the hard work through mind control.

Never did get into TFTD -- too hard, and Apocalypse might have held me longer if I'd switched to turn-based combat, which was available.

I see DOSBOX is available on Android. I've got to give it a go.

56. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh the memories

I seem to remember getting to the stage where you'd send half dozen psi merchants (why risk more?) and a heap of disposable rookies... who'se sole purpose was to go out and 'see' enemies for the psi team to play with.

57. Gilgamesh
    Thumb Up

Sectoid leader has gone berserk

Oh god, the nostalgia has kicked in very hard for this game. I might see if I can find an abandonware version that iisn't infested with keyloggers and trojans.

58. Matt Siddall
    Happy

Psi was great, but caused a lock on at least one occasion

If you took control of an alien, you couldn't access their inventory. But, you could open the inventory of one of your men, then use the "next trooper" button to move to the alien.

iirc they had a single clip of ammo, but if you removed it another one appeared. This did cause a problem on at least one occasion, as I clicked on the ammo but didn't actually have enough APs to move it to another location. A new one had appeared and I couldn't put it back, so had to reboot the computer.

Never figured out if you could use it to get infinite ammo - but I did always make a point of having any aliens I controlled drop their weapons...

59. Peter Gray

One of the best

It would be a toss-up as to which is my favorite, X-COM or Command & Conquer, but both were the cause for many sleepless geeked out nights of gaming.

Think I might have to install X-com of Steam again when I get home...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like