back to article Lancs plods exposed complainant on website

Lancashire Police Authority breached the Data Protection Act by publishing the details of a complaint from an individual member of the public on its website, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has revealed. The force published the information accidentally, and then failed to remove it after the individual concerned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Jones 2
    WTF?

re: Warning?

"This case should serve as a warning....."

Really? A warning that what will happen? I see no fines or even wrist slapping mentioned as a result of a blatant breach of Data Protection......

1. PaulK
      FAIL

Warning not for the plod.

It's a warning to individual members of the public that they should not make any complaints to the plod.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

NEVER trust the police

There's a reason that, since the modern form of police force has existed, it's been portrayed in a comedy light.

The Keystone Cops are alive and well in the computer age. That's when they're not handing over the new phone number of a victim to her stalker and not bothering to submit any evidence in court, or arresting people for "possession of curly black hair and thick lips", etc...

1. Cameron Colley

RE: NEVER trust the police

Hey, come off it, they don't always arrest people for "possession of curly black hair and thick lips".

Sometimes they shoot them in the head repeatedly, then say "Ooops".

2. DaveDaveDave
      Black Helicopters

The most common offence...

Hey, they move with the times - being black in charge of a motor vehicle is no longer the most common offence. Now it's wilfully being Muslim in a public place.

3. yoinkster
    WTF?

What, no fine?

So they mess up, get found to have messed up and get told, extremely politely, to please not do it again. What about the actual breach then? You know, the part where they broke the law?

Can I now drive at 120mph everywhere and say "my bad, my training wasn't sufficient"? :/

4. puffspluslotion

Not their fault

"Lancashire police has now been ordered by the ICO to make sure that any information due for release on its website is checked and correctly edited before it is made available."

It's alright, apparently this wasn't a rule before.

5. Intractable Potsherd
    Unhappy

The ICO ...

... is a complete and utter waste of time. Every time I read about it, I decide that the "I" stands for "Incompetent". I haven't yet settled on what the the other two letters stand for, but "C" tends towards the Anglo-Saxon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like