back to article NASA

Arriving on Android and iOS to coincide with the last mission of the Space Shuttle, NASA's new official app is a must-have for anyone with even a passing interest in humankind's efforts to reach for the stars. Basically a portal for the vast amounts of media the National Aeronautics and Space Administration generates and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Track me not

How do I get free stuff like this installed without having to have a google account?

I do not want to hand over my life history to the oompa loompas in order to be able to get an account. Nor do I want to be targetted for marketing based on the free apps I choose to download via that account.

Bring back the old days when software authors just uploaded stuff to anon FTP.

1. Lottie

Free stuff like this

I dunno, I'm sure there's similar from non google app stores.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

FFS

Stop believing the crap. I have over 100 apps on my phone, all of them free. I have received not one marketing email from any of them. In fact, since creating a gmail account, I have received no spam whatsoever into that account. That account has no address, phone number or any other personal info attached to it and even Google can't tell whether the name on it is real or not.

I would say, from reading things on here, that a certain fruity company knows more about its users than big bad Google does about me.

3. GrahamS
      Trollface

RE: Track me not

> "How do I get free stuff like this installed without having to have a google account?"

I believe the article says that there's an iOS version of the app available...

2. stucs201

Not JCB

Scroll around the map a bit further and you'll find their high-g training facility. Better known as Alton Towers.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Though you never know if NASA is not interested in geese

goose-powered space ship, anyone?

Mine is the the space suit

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nasa? Geese?

So thats what Stargoose was about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargoose

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

you beat me to the comment :)

I remember the Gyratron ( or sumin' like that , back in the early 90s ) that was where they've now got Oblivion. I was probably listenning to Dead or Alive's "you spin me around" at the time.

Also don't forget the now defunct "Black Hole".

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

download the .apk

I'm sure someone has posted it. I agree google are a bit obsessive with their data gathering but you can (with some effort) disable most of the synchronisation and keep your account linked only to the phone (about which the telcos know everything anyway).

You can even run a version of Android with no google components, I use CyanogenMod, and an independent apps market, try SlideMe.

Aside from all that - what'd you think of the NASA app?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

The location...

...of NASA's secret base makes sense. There are some pretty strange creatures round these parts that I'm sure aren't human!

5. glennog 1
    Go

It's not a NASA facility...

it's a very naughty boy.

Seriously though, that pin in the map isn't a facility icon... If you zoom right out, you'll see the real NASA icons in the USA, not surprisingly. When I ran the app, the pin was placed in my living room... Let the rumours of why your pin was in a field commence.

6. lawndart

Shades of Captain Scarlet

"Commander Armstrong requisitioning Atlas-Agena number 461."

"Certainly, Commander."

A concealed button is pressed. Outside the poulty shed splits into two and a two-stage rocket rises up from between the halves...

7. Gusty O'Windflap
    Coat

wrong wrong wrong

you are all wrong, surely you can see what has happened here? NASA has let it slip that all those photos of the moon from the Apollo missions were really just shots of some slightly off oatcakes!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Been on iOS for a long time

This is not new. Even if it's an updated version it looks almost the same as the one I have been using on my iPod for a very long time.

9. John Sims

Move along - nothing to see here

Living only a couple of miles away from this location I went to investigate. I can confirm that there is no secret NASA base what so ever, nor is there a nearby listening station and what you see on the map is just a giant hot air baloon shaped like a pin.

"Did I phrase that right? Will you let me go now? No - I won't tell anyone!"

1. JennyCide
      Boffin

Jodrell Bank?

Isn't that within a few miles or so of the Lovell telescope at Jodrell Bank?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Nice

Was at Jodrell Bank recently for the Flaming Lips gig, so had a look about. Not much in the way of NASA that I could see. Maybe they like to keep it real quiet, and only put details of it into their android app, and position it 30 miles away. That would make sense.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Jodrell Bank

about 30 miles away

11. Rovindi
    Mushroom

National Space Centre

...Somewhere near Nottingham, off M1, if memory serves. Big brown sign, with a picture of rocket that looks like it was ripped off from a Tintin comic...

re first post. Stop being a numpty and overinflating your sense of importance. As others have pointed out, a Gmail account can actually be quite beneficial. I´ve been a user since first launch and get no spam. Repeat no spam. Nada. Niente.

My old BT account (since 1998) gets swamped everyday. Practically unusable, because of sheer volume of shite.

So chill out, learn how to actually use your device in a manner most suitable to your overt paranoia (disable sync, turn off location sharing etc.) and enjoy the app.

1. hammarbtyp

Close..but no cigar

National Space Centre is in Leicester

1. Magnus Ramage

Perspective...

In American terms, Leicester is somewhere near Nottingham!

2. teapot9999
        Stop

and is cr&p

The National Space Centre in Leicester is a shabby, pointless waste of time that I got into for free and it was still overpriced!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like