back to article RUPERT MURDOCH HIT BY PIE

News Corp boss Rupert Murdoch was attacked by a protestor during a parliamentary hearing into the phone-hacking allegations at his sister company News International this afternoon. The committee's public inquiry has been suspended. SkyNews was there Reports claim that a UK Uncut activist, whose Twitter handle is @ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheRead
    Coat

Looks like Rupert Murdoch...

Was un-willfully blinded.

2. laird cummings
    Thumb Up

Monty Python lives!

Here's a pie in your mush! Not MY mush, YOUR mush! Your laugh, not my laugh, your bleeding laugh...!

Or maybe Three Stoodges would be more appropriate..? Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

3. Code Monkey
    FAIL

Well done you fucking idiot

So Murdoch's on the ropes and with your silly attention-grabbing stunt you've given The Sun/The Times/Sky News another headline. Still you're in the papers and that's all that matters you complete waste of space.

1. Turtle

Exactly right...

That's exactly right, as far as I am concerned. Here we have what is a rare instance of a very powerful individual having his illegal dealings exposed to public scrutiny, and some brain-damaged half-wit has "a better idea".

Idiots like this, and like those idiots who attacked Sony (and Sony's users) repeatedly, do nothing but make Sony and Murdoch look like victims. If anyone thinks that some people will not now begin to equate "parliamentary hearing" with "shaving cream pie" then they really do not understand how the world works.

1. Steve Knox
        Facepalm

Only if...

Your arguments are completely valid -- if and only if you believe that the general public, on average, are stupid enough that they can't comprehend the difference in moral scope between getting a little shaving cream on someone's face and violating someone's privacy.

On the other hand, if after millennia of years of social evolution and eons of physical evolution, our species is still that moronic on average, then we are most likely doomed anyway. So you may as well hang up your high horse and have a little fun.

1. Graham Marsden
          Thumb Down

@Only if...

The point is that it's this stupid incident that will get the attention, not Murdoch's weaselling. Naturally it's now on the front of The Times, The Sun and The Mirror's sites (all Murdoch controlled of course) and probably will be their front page story tomorrow allowing them to portray *him* as the "poor victim of an unprovoked attack" and side-line everything else.

1. Paul 172

@Graham Marsden

The Mirror is not one of his, it's a different group, Trinity Mirror, not News International.

2. Turtle

Stupid is as stupid does. . .

One need not "get off one's high horse" to deplore ill-timed, out-of-place, and stupid actions that accomplish *nothing useful* except obtain some publicity for the idiot that commits the action, while, at the same time, distracting attention from more important matters - the actual parliamentary hearing. One need merely detest out-and-out stupidity.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

I totally deplore this action, very badly timed and resorting to asault, even comical assault, particularly of an 80 year old is just not right. However one of the BBC guys there asked the perp, while he was handcuffed, why he did it. His reply: "I can't comment until the police investigation is over."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Yes

He's a Leftie. And also a fat angry blogger.

Of course he's not very bright.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

So let me guess

It will be interesting how much did he get paid and by whom...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She hits like a girl.

She hits like a girl.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"...now in custardy"

Bravo!

6. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

Nice one

A direct hit with sardines mixed would have been perfect!

7. DF118

What a dick

That's any hope of sensible coverage tomorrow out the window then.

8. Stutter
    Thumb Up

HOORAY

HOORAY

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pics or...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14209268

10. Simon Preston

Doh

What a way to generate sympathy for your intended victim. *sigh*

1. Intractable Potsherd

I'm sorry ...

... but it would take much more than this to generate sympathy for this degenerate, corrupt, and generally loathsome purveyor of lowest common denominator shite. This incident has made him seem as utterly pathetic as he really is, and not raised his sympathy ratings one jot.

11. Turtle

UK Uncut Denies Involvement.

Well I just looked that the UK Uncut website, hopefully to join a forum there and tell them what I think about it, but they have a notice on their site that says "Murdoch pie was not a UK Uncut action" ( http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/blog/murdoch-pie-was-not-a-uk-uncut-action ),

Frankly I would not be terribly surprised if they were lying. . .

12. Alan Fitzsimmons
    Thumb Down

Moron

So moral outrage against hacking of the phones of murdered teenage girls justifies...a foam pie? Well done on being the only person in the UK that deserves castigating in the Murdoch press.

13. Wize

When it said pie...

...I had visions of one of Melton Mobrey's finest bouncing off his head.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise

I'd have thought that if anyone would be throwing punches today it would be Rebekah Brooks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No...

She gets other people to do her dirty work.

Plausible deniability, it's called.

2. Robert E A Harvey
      Thumb Up

surprises

I thought that nothing that happened now would surprise me. I was wrong. I wasn't expecting that.

OK, so the whole chance to quiz him degenerated into farce, but that's just Karma.

And, no matter how reprehensible, RUPERT GOT PIE'D.

Put a smile on my face anyway

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Throwing punches

Nah, it was Wendi Murdoch in the end. And what a slapper she revealed herself to be!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

The guy must be employed by NI

What better way to gain sympathy than pull a stunt like that.

16. Chris Thomas Alpha
    Thumb Down

left hook?

you meant right hook surely? it's pretty easy to see...

1. Mr Young
      Happy

Right hook? Nooooooo

It looked like a SLAP to me?

17. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

*right hook

well looks more like a slap but def her right hand

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whittingdale and Mensch show their servility at the end.

I expect the assailant to be charged with deliberately attacking the palm of Mrs Murdoch's right hand.

1. DF118
      Meh

Mensch

Didn't see the earlier sessions, but a couple of times during Rebekah Brooks' session I spotted Mensch effectively crawling, however to her credit she also managed to use Brooks' own "it's not just us, everyone's at it" statements to point out the ludicrousness of some of her previous answers. Not sure what to think about Mensch really. She does have an agenda, I just can't figure out what it is exactly.

19. Pete 43
    Thumb Up

@mike

That'd be Grant from DeadEnders ?

20. Ashton Black

Impressed.

I did laugh.

21. Owen Carter
    Mushroom

Too soft.

Shoes are harder; and the victims of the wars he championed would take more comfort.

22. garyi

Seriously though

How does someone get in there with a plate of goo? Or even find a way to spray said goo onto a clean plate?

23. Leon T

This is the most...

... that will happen to Murdoch. He's been a part owner of the British and American government for decades.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to the BBC

The BBC reporter at the scene said that Wendi Murdoch was actually grabbing what remained of the pie and driving it into the activist's face.

25. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Classice bent CEO performance

Anyone recall Ex Guiness bigwig "Deadly" Ernest Saunders (the *only* man ever to recover from Altzheimers or rather Altzheimer *like* symptoms).

The Congressional testimony of the CEO of ITT in the wake of Nixon's leaving. A notoriously autocratic CEO with a reputation for micro management he could not remember this , was not sure about that, did not know etc.

Sound familiar?

Not of course that Rupert and Junior have been accused yet.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"tasty left hook"

whilst the pie may have been tasty on both sides, the only tasty hook came from the right.

27. Beelzeebub
    Flame

Well

I'd pay for Rebekah against Rupert in the boxing ring any day :-)

28. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This is as good as it's going to get.

This involves three groups with long histories of institutional corruption - The House of Commons, The Metropolitan Police, and News International.

Does anyone here really imagine the outcome of all this is going to be anymore meaningful than those pointless New Labour inquiries which merely demonstrated that if you can choose the judge and jury, and define the evidence that can be considered, you could have Hitler declared innocent of any wrong doing. These three groups have a mutuality of interest, the files will have been weeded by now, the stories "synchronised", the patsies anointed, and plausible deniability established.

Don't expect anything from the ConDems - I had never imagined I would see the tyranny of the plebiscite raise its ugly head in the UK during my lifetime, but in the recent referendum they asked the electorate to effectively choose, with all due solemnity, between dog shit and cat shit. Napoleon himself would have been impressed.

1. Thomas 4
      FAIL

Cynical

These enquiries were set up on behalf of the public by politicians in order to clear the air for everyone, get to the truth of the matter and ensure that these mistakes are never repeated agai-

Ah, who am I kidding. They're all self serving motherfuckers with all the social conscience of a BOFH going after a paid vacation.

2. Naughtyhorse

I call Godwin on that

So you lose! Mwahahahahahahahahahaah!!!!1!!!11

murdock and minimurdock must now end up in the scrubs, and brooks to star in revival episode of cell block 'H'.....

... whaddya mean it's morning and time for me to get up and go to work... bugger

we can but dream.

1 thing dose seem certain is that 'plausible deniability' is a busted flush for news corpse - seemed to me the commitee was saying "either you are crooks, or incompetent - you choose" and whatever bullshit they use to dodge that bullet will be used against rupert and mini rupe in the soon to be announced re-shuffle at the top of the company.

plus the pie thing was a hoot :-)

And as for the comments saying well done for giving the sun it's headline.... do you really think that in the absence of a good pie in the face gag that the sun would have lead with " It's a fair cop guv, it woz us wot dun the blag" ffs

if push had come to shove they wouild have posted a full page apology for whatever story it was that they fucked up yesterday, and put that on page 1 - with a sarky note to the PCC about priniting apologies in prominent positions.

a pox on them all

29. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

He looks like Ross Noble's younger backward brother

Jonnie Marbles (or whatever his real name will be revealed to be tomorrow after The Sun bribe a cop for the arrest details)... the man who is to the Phantom Flan Flinger as Netbooks and tablets are to real computing.

I predict they'll charge him with being a nob and sentence him to getting a haircut and finding a job. No surprise he used shaving foam rather than real custard, as his tubby frame probably likes custard more than he hates Murdoch.

Still, James Murdoch's facial expression was enough to make you think he was about to be mounted by a bombastically inebriated, nekkid and Ecstasy-fueled Brian Blessed, lunging wildly over the benches like a rampaging animal on heat, hollering "I'm having you. I'm f**king having you!". Priceless. Now that would be a headline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFufrqhp0eE

30. Anthony Hulse

Staged?

This and Rebekah Brooks helping up a fallen photographer (on camera) are rather convenient events aren't they?

31. LPF

And guess what...

Labour party supporter, now suspended.. guess they wanted to remind the old man they could get him if required.. no loose talk!

32. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Porky Pie?

Surely a Pork Pie would have been more appropriate? I wonder who set him up for this one ... and how he "managed" to get through the security?

Murdoch is starting to remind me of Capt Ahab - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a similar ending.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upvote

Just for the crap custard pun! :D

34. Jason Yau
    Facepalm

It's

only a trifling matter

I'll leave now

35. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Sending a message

I wonder if the Boys in Blue were sending a message to Rupert? "Our security can lapse anytime, anywhere, you'll never know ... "

36. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

For that pie throw

I hope the thrower is investigated by the Clown prosecution service!

37. Baked Beans
    Thumb Up

Rupert may be a pussy...

But she sure isn't:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rupert-humble-wendi-hit-back-190119894.html

No wonder no one dares criticize her. Sounds like that wimp has got an awesome bitch with him.

38. Clay Landis

Sympathy? You can't be serious.

Are you kidding? Some old bastard get a pie in the kisser and people will feel sorry for him? Maybe a saber to the head might get him a bit but, let's face it, Rupe is not a charmer. But I really came to say another wasted effort, seriously, there were no bricks outside?

39. Sarah Davis
    Facepalm

suspiscious !!

security moved very slowly,... maybe one of his cronies arranged this harmless and ineffective pie attack to make 'ol bastard' look like a victim - c'mon, really, a foam pie, the guy gets that close to him and he's only armed with a foam pie?? Wow, Murdoch must be an absolute cad !! I mean, not as much as that Sean Hoare, i mean he must've been really evil as he killed himself - it'll probably turn out that he shot and knifed himself several times in the back,... either that or they'll cover it up saying it was a self inflicted drug OD

40. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Meh

Sometimes these headlines just write themselves ...

"Activist ladyslapped by Wendi Murdoch, now in custardy"

Now if the guy would have followed up with an atomic wedgie I might have some sympathy for Rupert. I'll be staying away from Wendi in any case. She's obviously no stranger to violent reactions to personal space violations.

1. Syed

@AC 07:33GMT

Ladyslapped?

Surely you meant _bitch_ slapped?

41. Adrian Esdaile
    Black Helicopters

We weren't born yesterday...

Sorry, but how the fuck do you get into a Parliamentary Committee with a can of shaving foam? Don't they have security gates you have to go through - in Australia we have them in pretty much every important government building from local courts up. Surely a Parliamentary committee would have some form of security?

And if they did have some security, one would assume they didn't frisk down a certain 80-year old walnut-faced ocker? Or didn't frisk down someone in his entourage?

Because you would never engineer a stunt like this to garner public sympathy at a critical moment, would you?

That would be like, oh, I don't know, bribing police, or hacking crime victims phones, or interfering with democratic process by using your influence over a wide range of media. It would certainly display a high level of cynicism and disdain for any authority other than your own. Which you buy; because you are every, very wealthy.

42. Sim
    Black Helicopters

Who is the mysterious Mr Ginger ?

http://adloyada.typepad.com/adloyada/2011/07/my-day-alongside-murdochs-pie-chucker.html

43. david willis
    Facepalm

Infamy, Infamy, They've all got it In for me.

Well it looks like somebody will get a criminal record, and possibly a fine for their actions during the phone hacking case.

Excuse the pun but I'm sure that the met will throw the book at the pie thrower, even if it is only to distract attention from their own failings.

I don't think the bard himself could have written such a story of such devious, seft centred, nepotistic hedonism, that combines tradgedy and farce in equal measure leaving the audience feeling both sick and bemused.

44. Jim 59

Go Wendi!

Clearly Mrs Murdoch is not a woman to be trifled with. Ads for Marbles, what a tw*t.

45. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    FAIL

Pie

The Bill Gates one is so much better.

This one's a damp squib - you can't see anything worth seeing, just people getting excited for some reason.

46. Mike Smith
    Trollface

Bet Rupert must be wondering...

...what the hell he pays the police for.

47. Ginolard
    Joke

I guess that was....

...the most humble pie day of his life.

/coat

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Uncut

According to the Guardian they are saying

"This was a lone-wolf, solitary action," said a key organiser in UK Uncut, a tax-avoidance campaigner group. "None of us knew anything about this. This has got nothing to do with UK Uncut."

.... just a single person doing something wrong all on their own and none of the rest of us had any idea it was going on .... remind me, where have I heard that before!

49. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

MP hearing

Murdoch Pie?

50. Purlieu

In a few days

... it'll emerge that Murdoch's bunch paid this guy to do it ?

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"custardy"

Nice to see the Reg stepping into the breach and giving us bylines worthy of the NOTW

52. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Best line of the day..

From the flingers girlfriend:

'No funny, not clever, not your girlfriend'..

53. Mostor Astrakan

So...

The start of the program saw Murdoch Senior playing the "I'm too important to know this shit" game and his son spouting bullshit like an agricultural machine, trying like anything to deny that the whole spying and illegal wiretapping was nothing to do with them, honest, guv. It was about two three hundred lone rogue reporters, and being ripped to shreds for it.

And yet, we are now discussing whether Mrs. Murdoch used her right or her left hand to bitch-slap the git who tried to cream-pie Murdoch Sr.

Does anyone actually remember any of the bullshit coming from Murdoch Jr? Does anyone *mention* it in any discussion of yesterday's proceedings?

Well done, that man. If Rupert isn't paying him, he should be.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bag of nails

If the flinger had used something useful like a piece of 4x2 with six inch nails hammered through it, it might have been appreciated. But the useless git gave that loathsome, Septic Aussie reptile the excuse he needed to 'forget most of the salient points.

The parliamentary committee had about as much teeth as cuddly toy. The limp-wristed flan-flinger should be hauled over the coals, just to make sure they're hot enough so the Murdochs, Brooks, Coulson, Scameron, et al, get badly burnt.

55. b166er

Tabloid incident

Mrs Murdoch should be up for assault.

1. Mr Young

Naaaah, don't think so?

The clown perp deserved a slap regardless I would say? I wonder if the cops are reading training manuals about stairs and stuff while she finishes him off in a cell? shudder...

56. Syed
    Coat

Has anyone else noticed?...

Rupert Murdoch = Mr Burns

Wendi Deng Murdoch = Smithers

James Murdoch = Frank Grimes

57. Openminded Cynic
    FAIL

Cake would have been more appropriate than pie.....

The cake is a lie.

58. TheImposter
    Happy

...and now play the game!

And now you can have a go yourself! Visit http://imposter.siteinseconds.com and see how well you can do!!!

You get 30 seconds to stop as many phones being hacked as possible by throwing a pie at him! Tweet your score!

This topic is closed for new posts.