back to article Get your kit off for Putin, win an iPad 2, Russian ladies told

Backers of Kremlin strongman Vladimir Putin have hit upon a perhaps not-so-novel means of bolstering his political support: they have offered young Russian women the chance to win an iPad 2 by "stripping for Putin". In this YouTube vid, we observe saucy Muscovite minx Diana – who already has an iPhone 4 – striding boldly along …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simbu
    Joke

People have done alot worse...

for some Cupertinian shinyness.

Kidney anyone?

2. That Awful Puppy
    Thumb Up

Pure win

Apple fondleslabs + Russian fondlebabushkas = a strong (if slightly authoritarian) Russian leader

1. dogged
      Stop

babushka

I do not think this word means what you think it means.

Hint: "little grandmother".

1. That Awful Puppy

Quite

But what other word should I have used that the English-speaking world would have immediately recognized as quintessentially Russian and female?

I mean, fondleKurnikova just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Although, come to think of it, fondleSvetlana might do the trick.

1. Liam Johnson

fondleSvetlana

Ummmm, lovely big tubes

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Windows

The shoes are hideous though

Bletch

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Nothing wrong with them

The problem is not with the shoes... It is with the wearer.

She cannot walk or to be more exact does not know how to walk in them which I find extremely surprising for an Eastern European.

The knee never straightens up so she ends up walking like Roman infantry.

2. steviesteveo

sigh

"But what other word should I have used that the English-speaking world would have immediately recognized as quintessentially Russian and female?"

Problem: you don't think your audience understands enough Russian for you to make jokes in a foreign language

Solution: use any word whatsoever, even if it's about grandmothers.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Your russian needs improvement

Baba and Babushka is not the same.

Neither is Blad'.

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I don't see it catching on in other national elections

But I can see the campaign being used for the next London Mayoral elections...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

What?

Boris is going to get his ample bosom out?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Pint

Re: what

that's a nasty thought, cannot get the image you just conjured up out of my head.

Beer needed

2. Elmer Phud
        Headmaster

Boris

Nope, he 'is' not 'has'.

3. Number6

I'd vote for him...

if he promises to keep his kit on.

2. dogged
      Thumb Up

Oh, I don't know

Berlusconi is probably kicking himself right now.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

RE: Oh, I don't know

"Berlusconi is probably kicking himself right now." Why? After all, back in the '90s he had several years of staring at la Cicciolina in the Italian Parliament, and she used to end each and every political rally by flashing her jubs, so it would be kinda hard to tempt Italian male voters with just a bit of mild strip tease after that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilona_Staller

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I suppose her real name is...

Eva Kitov?

5. kororas

So...

Wheres the NSFW version?

6. Sandal Wood

Stripping?

I missed the 'stripping part' in the add... It says that the contestants should make a clip of themselves ripping something and the most original one will win an iPad...

7. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

Political ads

Sadly, here in the US, we don't have this kind of political ad (perhaps it would put some life back into a boring electoral process here).

However, if I lived in Moscow, this is one political rally I would attend.

8. BorkedAgain

Good grief.

What century is this again?

(+1 to you if your automatic reply is "The century of the Fruitbat"...)

This never would have been tolerated in Ms Bee's day...

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

The century of the fruitbat

is nearly over

try to keep up

;-)

1. Tom 38
        Stop

Bodrozvachski zhaltziet!

The century of the fruitbat *is *ALREADY* over. It's the century of the Anchovy now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not that unheard of

There was a website in the run up to the last US election entitled Governing Bodies, which was all topless women with either McCain or Obama written on their bodies. As I recall Obama was winning on there too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also in the 2004 election between Bush and Kerry

Some of the Kerry fans had some pictures depicting their, um, aversion to Bush.

1. Stevie

Bah!

By donning heavy twill trousers over three sets of underwear?

9. Elmer Phud

You mean . . .

It's not an advert for Eastern European Airbags?

10. h4rm0ny

Kudos to El Reg.

I can't think of a more insightful yet succint way of illustrating the populist nature of politics in Russia today than this and the way that the modern democratic system is subverted by image not content, much as the media theorist Neil Postman warned us about.

Though I do worry some of the more low-brow readers might mistake this for a cheap titillation.

1. Oz
      Trollface

Indeed....

... I only watched the video for the titillation and didn't see any!

11. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

Move along please

Nothing to see here

Silvio "bunga bunga" Berlusconi has being getting nubile young maidens to do this for years.

Paris.... bunga bunga

1. VinceH
      Unhappy

Letters, digits.

"Move along please

Nothing to see here"

Yes, disappointingly.

12. Peter Murphy
    FAIL

Vladimir - you skanky strongman.

Admit it. You got the idea from your good mate Silvio. And you know what? It's as cheap and tawdry as him.

Oh, and have you got around to asking Mrs. Putin what she thinks of this striptease business?

1. Marvin the Martian
      Unhappy

Yea, but why stoop to an iPad?

I'd expected some serious, clunky homegrown hardware. Have some pride!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

FFS!

It's real modern male enlightenment festival around here today. A 2 minute flash of some young ( see you in court you dirty old sod, sort of young I mean! ) bird's cleavage and it's suddenly 1976 and all the blokes are acting 14 years old!

14. Jonathan White
    Thumb Up

There you go..

I *was* 14 years old in 1976.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I find it ironic...

that the advert at the bottom of the page is for rackspace....

i will just get my...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Putin's Army"

Putin's Army will be an army of putas.

17. Charlie van Becelaere

What was that last bit

about and Army for Poutine? Sounds like our Vlad is a regular Reg reader.

18. kurkosdr

Cupertinian shinyness?

Either you like it or not folks, Apple has ressurected 2 significant product categories (home computers, smartphones) and created 1 new (tablets), in an era that the other companies looked like they were trying to kill the categories they "competed" in.

Have you ever used a Nokia N70 or N80? Utterly terrible. Theoretically capable of everything, yet lame and sloow at everything. I got a N70 just because I wanted the awesome Symbian S60 games gameloft was producing back then (the asphalt series etc), but the multimedia experience sucked. Blackberry? Give me a break!

As regards PCs, ever tried to use Windows 7 to convert a video to MP4? It cannot be done without the help of third party tools.

Now, I won't get an iphone because not being able to load apps from my harddisk to my own phone (even my old, locked by vodafone to death GX30i can do that with some WAP tricks) is too much flexibility to give up, so I want to get an Android phone. And i can't decide which one to get, because of all those customs UIs (facetime, Sense) and third party extensions (LG 3D) that exist out there. It's literally a "who knows what you will get with every phone" platform.

19. Spoonsinger
    Paris Hilton

Typical Russian prawn intro,,,,

I can't believe their economy is based on that. (but could proved be wrong).

(Paris - because I like the old icons - even if she doesn't do anything for me).

20. Blubster
    Happy

Boody hell

Is it me or have Russian shot-putters got better looking as I've got older?

21. Stevie

Bah!

Deplorable. Absolutely deplorable. That this could happen in today's world with a generation who presumably understand about women's pride, and *this* is the best footage El Reg could come up with?

I'm ashamed to call myself British.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I was hoping....

that the video would break into some pro-Putin girl-on-girl action when the first girl greeted her friends with kisses!!

23. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Meh

24. Intractable Potsherd

OK, I admit it ...

... there is something lower than Murdoch's approach to political support. If there is any risk of a Russian media company taking over the vacuum that will exist if NI disappears, then I suddenly don't find them so bad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like