back to article Microsoft turns screws on bot herders with hefty reward

Microsoft is offering a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those who controlled Rustock, a recently dismantled botnet that in its heyday was one of the biggest sources of illegal spam. Monday's announcement of the bounty comes four months after Microsoft waged a novel campaign to take down Rustock, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Wouldn't it be better...

... to offer them a real job?

1. Michael Xion
      Facepalm

If you are referring to the rustock perps ...

Not really. That would be analogous to me robbing a bank then being offered a job as their security guard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gaah!

I wish people would get over the 'employ a hacker as an IT security guy.' thing. I can't think of any other area where you'd employ a criminal as the person to stop that crime, without them serving their time and showing that they were sorry for what they did.

2. Tomato42
    Linux

Reward

Interesting, $250000 won't fix bugs in the OS

Or do they really think it's better to go after the messenger?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow

I wondered how long it would be until someone spun this as a bad thing. Congratulations, you managed it on the first post.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Money

I've been following this story for quite some time, I think I even made a few post about it.

I give M$ a thumbs up for what they've done, taking down such a large botnet and spam in the process, but they are really pushing this hard, trying to find the people responsible.

And I have to ask myself why? What's in it for them?

Money. These people made a ton of money, no one knows how much, but I guarantee M$ has an estimate and they plan on getting some of it somehow. Why else would they pursue this so hard?

Anyone else have an idea?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

Maybe they did it because it's the right thing to do. MS do have track record in putting *loads* of money into charity, being generally one of the best employers to work for in the world, particularly when it comes to equal opportunities.

4. primeatech.com
    Thumb Up

Kudos

Kudos points for Microsoft, doing something to improve our internet. +1 Microsoft.

If the Apples, Cisco's and Google's all did the same we might finally rid the net of spam.

5. Steven Roper
    Thumb Up

Saddle up

lock and load...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Follow up to: Wouldn't it be better

Ah - yes, point(s) taken.

No, rather than hacker into security type career vector I meant something along lines of: it should always be better to be in proper gainful employment than any alternative.

Crime should never, ever pay and like most things snagging a front liner does not really mean that the problem has gone away. All it means is that another frontline post has become vacant.

The trouble is in many countries it is more fashionable to promote out-of-work-ness than it is to create a (proper) work based society.

Like when Maggie came to power: unemployment swiftly followed the consequences of which remain to this day and beyond. Basis: unemployment as a government strategy.

Example: procurement

(DWP to offshore anyone?)

Or more fitting still using same guidelines for procurement why don't UK government organisations or publicly funded organisations have to use UK based banks. Open up the banking and investment markets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@ A/C Follow up to: Wouldn't it be better → #

...so you buy British clothes right made with British fabrics? British Cars, made using British parts? How about British computers using only British made components. How's that British grown apple you bought in May from Asda, or the Strawberries in December from Aldi.

Unless you buy pure British, from British Stores, whilst working for a British Company selling only British goods then, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

No point moaning and whining about Johnny foreigner getting the jobs if you are not willing to pay for and buy home grown goods.

2. yoinkster
      Facepalm

question for you ...

Is the "reply to this post" button too complicated? I know it can sometimes be tricky to follow simple ideas but this one's pretty important. By fragmenting your own conversation it makes it very hard for anyone else coming to it to follow as the post you are talking about is miles up the page. Please try to keep your conversational threads as that, a thread.

And are you seriously still moaning about Maggie? How long ago was that? Did you happen to completely miss what Bliar and Clown did to us? Get over it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Michael Xion

i think there was something like that in the U.S. way back when.

He robbed banks, spent time in prison, then later gave advice on how to improve security at said banks.

Can't remember his name for the life of me.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow, that much commitment!

“This reward offer stems from Microsoft’s recognition that the Rustock botnet is responsible for a number of criminal activities and serves to underscore our commitment to tracking down those behind it,”

Looks like Microsoft found some change down the back of the sofa.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like