back to article Cisco doubles Catalyst Ethernet ports to 60 watts of juicy juice

Networking giant Cisco Systems has cranked up the amount of juice its Catalyst 4500E switches can pump out over Ethernet to 60 watts – another step toward its goal of making its switches the throbbing heart of the modern office. The Catalyst 4500E switch was announced last October with 848Gb/sec of aggregate switching …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Smith

Heating effect?

Oh dear I wonder what the heating effect would be of driving 7KW through 120 narrow conductor UTP cables all bundled together in a cable tray?

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Not an issue

Even if all the power was delivered over a single pair that gives a total conductor cross section of 24.6mm^2 for 120 cables. 32A mains wiring gives 7.36kW @ 230V and needs only 4mm^2 cable. Even with the lower voltage and hence higher current (PoE is not _that_ low voltage to begin with) there is plenty of slack in there.

2. Nate Amsden

tesla coils

How long until someone starts delivering power via tesla coils so we can get PoW (Power over Wifi)

me, I think it's simpler/better to use a wall wart to power those dumb terminals.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Need more power.....

....so i can run my verboten 100 watt incandescent light bubs!!

4. wilber

Heck....

We believe we cajoled everyone into FCoE, let's see if we can pull this one off.

5. Martin Usher
    Unhappy

Throbbing?

I have a friend that tests these sorts of thing for a living. He showed me an earlier version of the switch. Each port really can deliver the watts. Loading all of the ports ends up with a rather hot switch (it was a small one he showed me -- only 2Kw.

This is an example of "just because you can do something doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea"!

6. Lou 2
    Coffee/keyboard

Coffee anyone ...

Wow! Now I can have a laptop that can make coffeee as well! Can see that - coming to your favourite appstore - the Barrista app - make coffee using the power of the Net!

7. Christian Berger

Hmm.... powering desktops...

Well does that mean that switch will get a hefty Über-UPS (or ÜPS) or will the network shut down at a power outage?

However with good planning this might be an interesting idea.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

a true tool for a BOFH

Especially with the premanufactured PoE splitter, but instead of jacking it into the server, jack it into the chair, or perhaps, the wrist-rest...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Jacking off?

...taking jacking off to new heights...

9. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

PoEP

It means fart in Afrikaans.

Gonna have a lot of fun here in SA with that acronym

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward

PoEP in Dutch

Poep in Afrikaans might not be nice. Two guesses what it means in Dutch...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

PoEP?

Someone please send cisco this link!

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poep

11. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Coat

Qualitay

Beautiful - the three posts above just made my day

Time to off to the bar for a beer...

Mine's the one with the air freshner.

This topic is closed for new posts.