back to article Azure: it's Windows but not as we know it

If Microsoft Azure is just Windows in the cloud, is it easy to move a Windows application from your servers to Azure? The answer is a definite “maybe”. An Azure instance is just a Windows virtual server, and you can even use a remote desktop to log in and have a look. Your ASP.NET code should run just as well on Azure as it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bilgepipe
    WTF?

Err...

Sounds straightforward enough then...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Classic Hotel California as well no doubt.

Good luck checking out (your data/vm/non-sql'd version of whatever)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

MS is an American company

No company with European customers is going to want to use Azure.

MS need to license the technology/infrastructure to a EU company so the data is protected from the US Patriot act.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Safe Harbour will cover it in theory

MS will use Safe Harbour agreement to get around it. Although this will get interesting if it uses cookies as the new EU directive on cookies will cause a certain amount of headaches. Basically Safe Harbour hands everything to US/MS in hope that all is compliant....

The other question to ask is if this infrastructure gets compromised who is responsible for the breach? MS, the company who put their data in the cloud? I am sure legal agreements will have to be checked and MS will want to push that liability onto the client rather than them having to deal with the issue.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The answer is not a "definite" maybe.

The answer is not a "definite" maybe, its "probably not".

Maybe I've misunderstood your description of VM handling in Azure, but I believe that you can put a VM in Amazon's cloud and use it like a VM.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Excellent...

More MS licensing BS. And a dose of Windows in the cloud.

It'd be safer and cheaper to move all of my data to a pen drive then tape it to a hand-grenade.

7. Eduard Coli
    Trollface

Easy, not so

M$ always seems to have to make things more complicated than they need to be and invent a new vocabulary while they are at it. Perhaps they are trying to make up for something?

8. Neoc
    Facepalm

Sliding scale?

"SQL Azure costs from $9.99 per month for a 1GB database, on a sliding scale up to $499.95 for 50GB."

There must be something wrong with my head this morning, but 50GB = 50 x 1GB right? So 50 x $9.99 = $499.50 ... so in effect the "sliding scale" is going *up* instead of down.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like