back to article Sth Korea govt cracks down on blogger blaggers

South Korea’s high profile bloggers and prolific social media mavens are being targeted by the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) over the practice of receiving ‘gifts’ from companies in return for favourable reviews or mentions of products. The South Korean government has ushered in new regulations which force companies and bloggers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper
    Thumb Up

Good

This should happen everywhere, not just South Korea. If bloggers want the rights and privileges accorded to the press, they can also accept the responsibilities and obligations as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Umm?

So where does most of the press disclose their links to companies?

But I agree it should happen everywhere, and to bloggers, journalists and their publications.

2. stranger
    Coat

logical and should have been in place a long time ago

many people have too much trust in blogs, believing them to be unbiased and honest. But many of those blogs are updated by "ex-fans", they might have been a fan once, but now, the "fan honesty" that they used to have is gone and replace with "for profit opinion".

such blogs, comments and reviews should be flagged as being sponsored, and therefore, biased. And when I say flagged, I don't mean a declaimer in small font at the end of the page. Instead it should be added in bold text in the first paragraph of the post. Example:

"I was approached by company X and was asked to write something on their product Y, I am writing this post specifically because of this request. I am going to try to be honest on my opinion of product Y, but I can't be _too_ critical of it because I am being paid and would rather not be to offensive."

Just my personal opinion, but if someone does start a blog post like the above, I'll be more inclined to read it. Sometimes I just want a product description to be more descriptive then what the vender's website will show. An example of this:

I am planing to buy a new gaming notebook, I found an HP notebook that comes with the AMD A6 APU processor. Now, the HP page says that the notebook comes with "Radeon HD 6755G2 _Dual_ Graphics". So when I read the specs I do find that they are listing a 2nd GPU under the graphics line. So I do understand that they notebook will come with 2 GPUs, one in the APU and another dedicated. But this doesn't tell me much as a gamer! Do those GPUs work the same way as CrossFire works on the desktop, when connecting 2 separate video cards to get better performance? Or am I only going to be able to use 1 of them at time, in which case it would be better for me to get another notebook that have an Intel i7 processor that comes with AMD Radeon HD 6850M.

So in the example above (a honest one by the way, if some knows the answer then please post a reply), the venders website have skipped an important detail that, me as a gamer, need to know to be able to make a decision on the purchase. A paid blogger who happened to be a gamer would _cover_ this skipped piece of information. So paid blogger isn't such a bad thing (some times)..... as long as s/he says that they are being paid in the 1st paragraph.

sorry for the long rant

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@stranger

Your battery life will be sh1te either way.

1. stranger
      Happy

Re: @stranger

Once I am at my destination, battery life won't matter since I will have a power socket nearby.

for my "on the road" gaming, I have other options (handhelds)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like