back to article Voda: Femtocell phone-hacking vuln was fixed in 2010

Vodafone said that claims of a vulnerability involving its femtotell base station technology relate to a flaw it fixed a year ago. Security shortcomings in Vodafone's femtocell signal booster technology create a possible means for hacker to intercept calls or impersonate users that connect via a compromised device, The Hacker' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Voda

doesn't stop them spamming me every day asking for the geo loc of the unit

even though I've already told them (I didn't want to)

Voda love to spam me crap by text

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

So...

An old article in THC's newly opened site gets jumped in by an over-zealous media.

Wouldn't journalists checking facts and doing some investigation first have picked up this important bit of information and prevented scaring the crap out all Vodafone's customers? The dates are clearly displayed on THC's page...

Do we really want instant news so much that journalists feel they don't gave time to do the most basic part of their job anymore?

1. Paul 129
      Joke

Research?

Wasn't that outsourced to the twitosphere years ago?

2. Edwin
      Megaphone

Actually...

...the first article clearly stated:

"We asked Vodafone to comment on the research, but have yet to hear back from the mobile phone giant. We'll update this story as and when we hear more."

I'm assuming this wasn't a "please give us a comment in the next 10 minutes" job by El Reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually...

I wasn't necessarily talking about El Reg. This story broke in other media outlets first (as the Reg articles indicates.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet journalism:

Post story. Wait for someone to check the facts for you later.

4. Jelliphiish
    Meh

when did the femtosell get realeased again?

it's just, i heard the 'phone hacking' went on quite some time ago..before last year when it got fixed.. and without actually caring, i find myself curious about the timeline for this..

also, am i the only one to have noticed them playing havoc with wifi signals? i know they're not supposed to byut it's quit remarkable how many wifi related faults i've managed to resolve with an Eu when they switch one in proximity off.. i'm just sayin'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha-ha

Are you saying google's index is your main source of scoops then?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While I'm the first to bash suspect journalism

the problem in this case has not really been fixed, so Vodafone is lying (as usual).

1. Jacqui

RTFA

The OP reflashed his device and took the geoloc components out completely!

He stated that he had recently tok his device to france and set it up in paris and it worked.

Another commentor mentioned that VF now check packet latency and if it too big they cut you

off so no trips to .au folks.

The problem with such simplistic barriers is this device is NFG for anyone who gets thier internet via a RF relay (such as some folks in the highlands).

Also how does an update get to a box that has been reflashed with a new/modified O/S?

VF should hire more techs and less PR staff.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

doesn't stop them spamming me

"doesn't stop them spamming me every day asking for the geo loc of the unit"

Think for regulatory reasons they need to know where you have it installed - it's probably in your terms and conditions!

If you 'don't want to' send it back but they 'know' where you are anyway if they really cared - so not sure what you are trying to prove by witholding the information.

8. paulf
    Terminator

O really?

"...the Vodafone network has not been compromised [that we know of, but if we did know it had been compromised we would definitely tell you, honest!]"

There fixed it for you.

9. g7rpo

Still find it strange

That someone would be willing to buy something that then utilises their own Broadband to route calls and still pay for the calls made...

The only reason I can imagine this would be valid is very rural users but that would raise potential problems with broadband coverage too.

Just move to a different network!

Or am I missing something? if so please correct me, thanks

1. cupperty
      Happy

thick stone walls

if you live in an old stone house in Derbyshire your signal can drop to a shiver indoors ... make a fuss to VF & they'll send you a free SureSignal ... chill ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like