back to article Murdoch man who also worked at Scotland Yard ARRESTED

A former editor of the News of the World who also worked as a PR consultant to the Metropolitan Police has been arrested. News Corp chief Rupert Murdoch and his son James Murdoch have confirmed they will appear before a Parliamentary committee investigating the phone-hacking scandal that has engulfed their media empire. A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

A change of heart? Irrelevant.

Hang 'im high.

2. Eduard Coli
    Big Brother

Pot meets kettle

While the press can sometimes go overboard both the US and UK governments are really trying to bend this out of proportion.

Both governments have had gaps in law enforcement ethics when it comes to surveillance, sometimes very large ones.

In my opinion this kind of pillorying of the press looks like the two governments attempts to run more press gagging legislation under the noses of the public.

1. Bumpy Cat
      Stop

Big difference

Government surveillance is intended to protect the populace and advance the countries interest, however cack-handed, misguided or OTT.

Newspaper surveillance is intended to use people's private lives (and grief) to sell lies and distortions so unpleasant people can have more power and money.

2. kissingthecarpet
      Devil

The "press" isn't being pilloried

Only News International. It was "the press", in the shape of the Grauniad, which broke the story, and doggedly pursued it . This the the kind of story that the press are supposed to report on & investigate, to the point of it being archetypal. The sort of prurient shite that is the Sun's stock-in-trade(and the wannnabe Suns) is not news, just playground tittle-tattle & name-calling, intermingled with right-wing neo-liberal polemic dressed as populism. The Sun et al. have distorted & damaged the UK's public life for far too long & the pols have just realised that if they don't get their collective tongues out of the Dirty Digger's arse quick, they're going down with the rest.

1. Neil Greatorex
        Pint

Exactly

Couldn't have put it more succinctly.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All...

...were doing it. The guardian and Mirror a lot more than the NotW.

In fact the BBC and Guardian see this as a crusade to keep their monopoly on the government trough going. It only hotted up when NI wanted to buy Sky outright and the beeb saw it as a counter to their distouted presentation of so called 'news'. The guardian saw that if the beeb went down then the government job adds would fall and with that their income - hence their leading the scrum.

1. Handel was a crank

@right wing paranoid nut

That's right, the Guardian was far worse for law breaking in the name of collecting news - you can tell by the acres and acres of stories in the Telegraph about it.

Er...

3. Burch
      Facepalm

Do you live under a rock?

If you want to be ruled by Murdoch, I suggest you emigrate, his reign is over.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Murdock (x2) Answer to every question

"I'm sorry I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate myself"

Yeah, I know we have no 5th Am't but these two are US citizens.

They don't have to say a word. They will be accompanied by a phalanx of Lawyers who will make sure that the MP's end up looking like bits of wilted lettuce.

Anon coz I don't want my phone hacked.

1. Stuart Gepp
      WTF?

UK law applies

No matter what nationality the person is, operation of a UK company in the UK is subject to UK law.

I'm a Brit living in the USA. I don't drive at 70mph and claim its OK because I'm not American because in America I am subject to their laws.

1. Burch
        Big Brother

But

They still won't say anything meaningful (or true)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Sorry you are wrong

The only law that applied to Mr Murdoch is Murdoch's law.

He sneezes and governments catch a cold.

He almost certainly has career ending dirt on almost every politician, celeb etc in the world. He won't be afraid to use it.

Be prepared for governments to fall in his desperate attempt to keep his empire afloat.

Remember, A wounded animal is twice as dangerous as it was before it got wounded.

I predict he will sneer at the MP's and there is not a thing they can do about it.

3. Graham Marsden
        Boffin

@UK law applies

Yes, it does, but we *also* have laws against self-incrimination.

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you later rely on in court."

Murdoch senior is never going to get as far as court, it just remains to see who he might hang out to dry to protect his son...

2. 7mark7
      Facepalm

Yeah, I know we have no 5th Am't but these two are US citizens.

So a right to silence has to be called the 5th Amendment does it? Or it doesn't exist?

It's because of tabloid papers and tabloid TV that the UK has an epidemic of idiots who think they went to school with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Let the Murdochs go and refuse to answer questions. There will be bods from Ofcom watching and forming opinions over 'fit and proper' persons.

Those bits of wilted lettuce will be watching the lawyers and the Murdochs pissing away their 40% of Sky TV.

1. durandal

Kind of

The right to silence in the UK has never been absolute - if it comes to trial, the judge may order that certain inferences be drawn; this is, as I understand it, the big difference between the right to silence/5th amendment.

Equally, however, nobody can be compelled to give evidence against themselves, and even a confession can be inadmissible under certain circumstances (although evidence gathered as a result of information from a subsequently inadmissible confession can be used...)

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Silence is golden

Didn't they do the same thing to the brothers Maxwell - on the slightly more serious business of stealing 1000s of pensioner's money.

IIRC they just sat there silently while a bunch of lawyers argued whether there was any requirement to answer questions

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Earl Jones Of Potatoes
    Flame

"Murdoching" freedom and democracy.

Murdoch has corrupted the media as we know it today. journalism has become the tools of lobbyist and powerful politicians.

His media empire is a direct threat to our thinking and perception of events.

Consequently, its corruption is taking over democracy much like cancer does to a healthy body.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No

No the left leaning BBC did that yonks ago, as did the Guardian, by being the mouth pieces of the communist/labour loonies.

1. Arctic fox
        Mushroom

How far out on the extreme barking swivel-eyed end of the right wing do you.......

..........have to be to post that kind of garbage Ivan 4? Been spending too much time with your homeboy Ghengis lately have we?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Pluralism anybody ......

.... as above.

7. Peter Murphy

Memo to the Trolls

For all those who say the hacking scandal is overblown, here's some advice.

Hacking children is not cool. It's not nice, and it's certainly not good. When kids are affected by the press, people get pissed off damn quickly.

Please remember that before you make a fool out of yourself.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Up

@Peter Murphy

"Hacking children is not cool. It's not nice, and it's certainly not good. When kids are affected by the press, people get pissed off damn quickly."

You forgot (in the case of Milly Dowler) was dead as well.

That tends to wind up most normal people.

8. disgruntled yank

are they taking contributions for the charcoal?

Perhaps Lachlan, James, et al. can divert some of the estate to build a new Escorial in memory of the old man's martyrdom. El Grecos, Velasquezes, and Goyas seem a bit up-market in this case; perhaps just gallery after gallery of page 3 (was it) babes?

9. Homer 1
    Mushroom

No tears for Dirty Digger

Murdoch's slimy "entertainment" standards and right-wing extremist politics is a blight on both sides of the Atlantic, between "Faux" News and political corruption over there, and the degenerate pit of vice called Sky television and tabloid journalism over here. If this case marks the beginning of the end of Murdoch's sleazy empire then I'll throw a party and dance on his (metaphorical) grave. Good riddance.

1. laird cummings
      Devil

Rupert Murdoch = Elliot Carver..?

Text and stuff goes here...

10. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

re: communist/labour loonies

Thank god we had the Daily Mail to protect us from Blair and Brown storming the palace and killing the czar

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

In any case....

...I wouldn't want to be Murdoch's cat when he get's home from said grilling.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

rupert's cat

the cat has nothing to worry about. 'call me dave' cameron and tony bliar will pop round to give daddy murdoch a few blowjobs, just like they always do when he's in town.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Gordon Brown

..... must be to blame some how ?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

what does it matter?

people that buy papers, watch Tv etc and believe it's all truth are sad anyway, if we all thought the same then why isn't brown still primeminister? all the polls put him streets ahead.

Murdoch will not crumble, his empires will not fall....he's only ONE of the shareholders, does that mean all those hedge and pension funds that are invested in NI will have to be bailed out like Maxwell's investors?

As has been said, if the hacking had led to Rachel Nickel, Ginnette Tate or whoevers murderer being convicted, we'd all be raising our hands and cheering it.

Seem to be plenty of trolls here but it's just a case of "we didnt get the result, let's allay the blame before we get caught" from Mr Plod. Phone hacking is on par with having someone on the inside, but without the risk

1. IT veteran
      Thumb Down

No we wouldn't be cheering it

Because said murderers would now have a cast-iron appeal case, and would be freed whether they had done the deed or not because their convictions would be unsafe.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If my pension fund were invested in NI

I'd be taking a very close look at my pension scheme, and at the 'units' I'd been putting my contributions into.

FWIW, 'ethical' investment pension units seem to perform better than a lot of others, and you can be pretty sure these don't included NI in their portfolio.

13. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Flame

Grilling is WRONG

given Murdoch's age he should be left to stew until tender!!

Flame should be set to "simmer"

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

The expression "Tone at the top" comes to mind.

I like to see daddy Murdoch go Jack Nicholson in "A few good men" but sadly I suspect he and Junior will be fully lawered up.

After all they know how easy it is to turn "Would you say Mr Murdoch?" questions into "Murdoch:"I'm a lying little b***ard"*

*This is purely for dramatic effect and no suggestion is being made that any member of the Murdoch family has ever acted in anything other than in complete compliance with the laws of whatever country they (or their companies) are operating in at all times.

This topic is closed for new posts.