back to article PayPal teaches Androids to swap cash

PayPal has unveiled an Android widget that lets you transfer money to a friend or colleague simply by tapping your phone to theirs. At a conference in San Francisco, California, PayPal senior director of mobile Laura Chambers demonstrated this peer-to-peer payments system using two Samsung Nexus S phones. Samsung's Android- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Not for me.

I might get one when I can slap my phone on beer vending machine.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Thumb Down

Shame...

Drinking beer from a vending machine....Get yourself a proper mint, mate!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So who's waiting for the lawsuit

Pursuant to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/08/apple_user_interface_patent_application/ which is 'kind of the same thing, right?'

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Devil

Paypal...

is first before apple? w0000000t!!!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Great Idea

Every time I pay for something I think, "If only I could somehow involve a smartphone in this transaction. That would be a brilliant idea."

1. Old Handle
      Thumb Up

Don't forget Payfail

(And the inevitable cut they take.)

4. DownUndaRob
    Coat

old hat

This is all old hat, we had near field communications many years ago.

It was called bluetooth.

5. Timo
    WTF?

I agree

This thing is absolutely perfect for those times when cash is just too convenient, and when credit cards work too well. I've never needed to plug in my cash or credit cards to recharge either.

6. Nash
    Alert

NFC?

No F***ing Chance!

7. Richard Rae
    FAIL

I will admit

That I have never used paypal to send money to people. Cash works just as well and they have it there and then without fees.... or a simple BACS transfer if they are too far away or need the cash on their card... Free, fast and efficient.

Paypal, go back to where you belong which is Ebay!

1. Sam Liddicott

on the other hand

paypal lets someone give you money without you having to give them your bank details - take that 409-ers!

(Not everyone has a deposits-only bank account).

1. Dr. Mouse

Hmm

I've never had any problems giving my bank details (SC & Account#) to a friend for them to send me money. They are friends for a reason, plus you need a lot more than that to withdraw moneys...

And it's 419ers, not 409!

1. Argh
          Facepalm

Are you sure you need more than that to withdraw money?

Tell that to Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/clarkson_bank_prank_backfires/

8. Pink Duck
    Thumb Down

Ock

Another instance of 'Ok', which reads in my mind as 'Ock'. It should either be the word "Okay" or the short form "OK".

9. andy gibson

no confirmation on "request"

When the girl puts in "10" there's no confirmation. Seems a bit odd.

10. Bongwater

Shadowrun

They already did this in Shadowrun, it's called credsticks! Now if we can just speak to each other via credsticks the world would be perfect, but I do not believe they ever got that far :/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like