back to article Facebook begins to challenge Google in UK internet

Google has increased its dominance in the UK search sector, according to the latest numbers, but search itself – though growing in absolute terms – now accounts for a lower proportion of the traffic hitting websites than it formerly did as social networks make their presence felt. The numbers come from the latest roundup from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook, the new search king

Facebook already has the eyeballs, all they need do is add a decent search capability. For far too many people Facebook is the first site they visit when they start their computer. If they could search from within Facebook why bother going out to Google. If few hundred million people stopped using Google that would have a measurable impact in Google's search market share.

2. pompurin

Mm

I just type the URL of the site I want to visit.

Most Facebook links are too spammy and I've blocked with Adblock. Google still wins hands down for what I need to do.

3. magnetik

Re: Facebook, the new search king

"If they could search from within Facebook why bother going out to Google"

Because Facebook's search is shite. Type "bananas" into FB search and you're first presented with a bunch of FB groups like "Bananas in Pyjamas" followed by a paltry three results relevant to the web. You'd have to be bananas to think of using FB as a primary search.

I get what you're saying but even if FB produced lots of web results it's still far easier just to type a search term into your address bar and get a decent page of results without FB clutter.

4. Bassey

Something seems wrong

I wonder why the media in general (and TV in particular - and the BBC even moreso) make such a big deal about Twitter then? 3% of Social Media traffic seems tiny. I mean, Microsoft has a bigger proportion than that of the smartphone market and yet it has been written off as a disaster.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The media

The media love all the social shit because it integrates so well with their own agenda. Thus, the oodles of free publicity encouraging people to "join in the conversation" or "follow us on...". The media loves to talk about itself and what better way of doing that than encouraging all and sundry to do just the same, and what's wrong with selling them advertising at the same time?. And isn't it wonderful how "social media" is so democratic? And if "everyone" tells you you're right, then surely you must be? The end of mass media, my arse! It's just the beginning of mass delusion as we all inflate our confirmation bias bubbles. This week's Economist Special Report is devoted to the new media, and while it avoids the really tricky issues, it's still worth a read.

5. Tatsky

Should google worry?

As previously stated, Facebook search is shite.

Are they going to develop a search platform to rival Google? Google have a hell of a head start on them there.

Facebook may have the eyeballs, but who the hell looks at ads on facebook. Last time I looked the conversion rate of just impressions to clicks on FB was miserably low.

My wife is addicted to FB, and is probably a typical user. But her typical usage is

"Log in, check for notifications. Goto profile page. Add status about Ironing, or something to do with a menial task. Check notifications. Log off"

Repeat every couple of hours.

My wife must petrify Google....... not

1. Purple People Eater
      Go

Why would facebook develop search.

I think the comments about existing facebook search miss the point. If facebook were serious they'd tie in with bing. Microsoft needs the eyeballs and facebook needs to keep people leaving the facebook window when they want to find something.

6. David 30

But how many of those hits

...coming from Facebook, found the company's Facebook page using Google in the first place?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter accounts for 3% of traffic?

But is a measurement of traffic truly representative of it's impact, and use?

Reading the linked report in the article - "Facebook accounted for 53.72% of all UK Internet visits to social networks in June".

What constitutes an 'internet visit'? are we talking about page impressions here? or requests? or?

A study that cites the number of posted user messages/comments would be a far more useful indicator of trends.

(though Im sure facebook would still be kicking ass)

8. Spiff66

Default search

Hmmm, my copy of firefox has google set as the default search engine. Infact so does safari. including on my phone Even my work pc has google as the search engine. So how many people are making a conscious choice to use google? How many people couldn't care less about the fact that the search engine they use is google as long as they find what they want?

9. Yet Another Commentard

Lies, damned lies and sadistics...

The table in the link looks suspect, unless I misunderstand it (very likely), as it adds up to 147%.

"Search is still well ahead, delivering 34 per cent of traffic as opposed to 12 per cent for Web 2.0, but that 34 per cent is down from 40." we can't tell from the data if Social Networks are up to 12% from 1% or 11.9999999% - it could be a plateau, it could be incredible growth.

In other news Google delivers 92% of 34% (31.3%) and Google in the guise of YouTube delivers a further 20% of 12% or 2.4% - so that's about 37% from one single company. Facebook delivers 50% of 12% (or 6%). Yep, that's clearly got Google on the run... where should I spend my meagre advertising budget?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like