back to article Long-lost IT bigwig found in Surrey forest

Dimension Data's former long serving EMEA CEO Russell Bolan has ditched the corporate lifestyle to hang out in the woods. The channel bigwig quit the rat race at the end of 2009 and has spent the time managing a 73 acre forest on the Surrey and Hampshire border but he is not, as it turns out, single-handedly trying to tackle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GrahamT
    Thumb Up

So that's where he went

When I saw the name, I thought of a Scouse network engineer I used to work with. I googled him, and the images confirm it - it's him. He worked hard and rose fast through the company we worked for and went on to greater things at SITA.

The boy done good.

2. mark 63 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

will nobody think of the trees!

not impressed!

3. Magnus_Pym
    Stop

Whatever else he turns it into ...

... it won't be paper. Thems aint the kind of trees you make paper out of. Nor are amazon rain forest trees for that matter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's why the Tories want to sell off all our woodland

They are very profitable to cut down, no surprises there...

5. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

And yet...

... the Government wondered why we objected to the sell-off of the forests...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

err..

..they are called managed forests and have been around for ooooo thousand years+

Unless of course you think all wood products are the result of people randomly going around going, oooo that one looks good, we'll take it.

Godd for him, doing something he enjoys instead of keeping up with the Jones'

1. Marvin the Martian
      Boffin

Indeed.

Nothing in the article suggests good or bad management.

I'd only be concerned that it's a rather small corner to live off, so if it's not hobbyism then ravenous overharvesting seems to be a necessity? It's about 350 x 1000 yards (280x1000 metres) --- more of a large garden than a forest. A good oak harvests about once per 150years, and needs at least say 5x5m for itself (initially less, but you thin out by harvesting over the years) --- this leaves about 150 trees per acre [conveniently =O] or 73 mature trees harvested per year at varying values, worth say £500 but costing a lot in transport, cutting down and processing [processing cost taken on by his own sawmill].

So you're looking at a £50k turnover (including the smaller trees), with a lot of costs (labour & insurance), or are my sums off?

1. GrahamT
        Boffin

Depends on the product

If firewood is the product rather than fine hardwoods, then coppicing will give a harvest every 10-15 years per tree with no replanting costs. He could even set up a charcoaling scheme for the barbecue market using his coppiced timber to raise the value of the harvest.

I've got a feeling he knows what he is doing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Swampy should be impressed

Wood is one of the best renewable resources. You don't really think he isn't going to re-plant after cutting do you?

8. david 63

Replant...

... or regenerate.

Mature hardwoods are resilient.

This topic is closed for new posts.